Hornady Critical Defense vs Zombie

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense vs Zombie within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aside from color, what are the differences in Hornadys CD and Zombie rounds. The green box stuff seems to be a bit more available sometimes. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense vs Zombie

Aside from color, what are the differences in Hornadys CD and Zombie rounds. The green box stuff seems to be a bit more available sometimes. If there is no real difference, I may start buying if I find it.

Personally, I try to avoid "zombie" firearm related stuff, only because it's something a prosecutor could use against me, if I had to shoot someone with it.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

CD has nickel plated brass cases and the Zombie max has brass cases.
    mano3 likes this.

I was under the impression that the Zombie Max simply had the green instead of orange tip. Otherwise, it's the same round (other than the casing). CD is cheaper and it cycles fine in all of my handguns.
    StormRhydr and Ghost1958 like this.

They are basically the same thing. I tend to buy whichever is cheaper/available.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't think a zombie cares one way or the other.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Personally, I try to avoid "zombie" firearm related stuff, only because it's something a prosecutor could use against me, if I had to shoot someone with it.
    This ^^^

And this is taken from their website directly. I would not use the Z Max for self defense. Too much they can use to twist it to be bad. I mean it actually states not to shoot human being with it...

This is there disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

With good hits either will cause an assailant to instantly be having a bad day.

With poor hits, not so much no matter which is used.
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have only bought zombie max anything, once. It was this year, post sandy hook, when you couldnt find ANYTHING in stock.

I bought a big zombie max box of bullets for reloading. Not complete ready to shoot cartridges. Simply the bullets.

The guy at bass pro was walking with them in his hand. Just the one box, the only one they had gotten in, and asked could I use them.

If the supply situation wasnt so bad at the time, I almost certainly wouldnt have looked twice at them, as they would have cost a tad more than some other brand, or product. As it is, I got em. Almost hate to use them, as something cheaper will work for practice. Shrug.

Yep same darn thing . But for me I don't use any thing 'exotic' sounding like zombie rounds , devastator rounds etc . That said if they are cheaper get them to use for training and making sure your guns like CD as they are same round by my understanding as CD . And just carry CD.

My only exception to the above rule is either a. it is the only ammo that is worth a darn in that caliber ( esp for the small mouse guns ) or b. as stated if the same thing but cheaper as range stuff.

How would a prosecutor know you used the Zombie Max? Are they going to dig out the green tip from the bg??? I say use whichever is available. If CD loads and fires well in your gun, I wouldnt hesitate to use it.

With good hits either will cause an assailant to instantly be having a bad day.

With poor hits, not so much no matter which is used.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by kriller1217 View Post
    How would a prosecutor know you used the Zombie Max? Are they going to dig out the green tip from the bg??? I say use whichever is available. If CD loads and fires well in your gun, I wouldnt hesitate to use it.

IMO, if a prosecutor wants to get you, they will try everything. for that reason, i wouldn't buy zombie ammo, your own reloads if you load them extra hot for SD or a Taurus "Judge" either. However, the "Public Defender" model wouldn't be too bad. it sounds stupid to base purchases off names but in this day and age, i say give them as little ammo to use against you as possible. but that's me. teto.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Why hasn't anyone pointed out the marketing gimmick this really is? Unless Hornady is ready to release their ballistic data from testing on REAL ZOMBIES, let's just chuckle about the marketing BS and move on!
    Ksgunner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I have a few boxes of it for my 40, but don't carry them. I'll use 'em as back ups if we get into it with...
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links