Federal Guard Dog- any info?

This is a discussion on Federal Guard Dog- any info? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw some .40 Federal Gaurd Dog SD ammo at a shop the other day. Noticed it is a flat point not a hollow point. Anybody ...

Thread: Federal Guard Dog- any info?

Question Federal Guard Dog- any info?

Saw some .40 Federal Gaurd Dog SD ammo at a shop the other day. Noticed it is a flat point not a hollow point. Anybody use it?

2. Remove Ads

Its an expanding FMJ... has a silicone interior ... its good as far as EFMJs go... never used it personally, but did read up on it a bit.

As I understand, its not crap, but its not an amazing super design either.. I basically came to the conclusion that its a step forward for EFMJ technology, but the tech has a way to go yet before its the ideal design.

It isn't a bad round. Its an accurate round that, from what I can tell, works a little strangely. The bullet is an fmj, with silicone interior and a lead base. When fired and when the bullet makes contact with a solid target, the tip smashes against the target and the base, through momentum, detaches and continues forward, sandwiching the silicone. Most of the bullets weight is in the rear. To this end, tbe bullet will widen, but does not have metal "leaves" that cause most of the tearing/shredding. It is an accurate round that feeds reliably. Of course, I have never had a feeding issue in my 229 so ymmv.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I prefer the heavier EFMJ, marketed as a LEO round. The Guard Dog version is lighter, with less penetration.

I like that there is no hollow cavity to get plugged, wrapped with clothing fibers, or crushed by barriers. If it fails to expand, it is still a flat point. Very accurate, mild recoil even in + P, and low flash. Many disparage EFMJ, but I like it and use it in 9mm and .45.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

It was specifically designed for use inside a house or apartment, or any where you are concerned with over penatration. EFMJ's do work. You are giving up full power loads, so shot placement is paramount, as it should always be...

I really like the idea of EFMJ, and the rounds are getting better.. perhaps they never will match up to the performance of a full power hollowpoint, but I'm hopeful the middle ground will be reached with an advanced EFMJ design sometime soon.

I was underwhelmed by the performance of the one I tested. Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Guard Dog 45 Auto 165 Grain Denim and Gel test
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

VIP Member
    I've shot some works ok; but, unless you hit the stud in the wall or something else, it will go zipping into the next room
    contrary to it's advertised capability. I built a simulated wall to shoot at and go through holes.

Interesting responses. Thanks for the info. I think I will use Hornady Critical Defense.

Links