Defensive Carry banner

Winchester PDx1 124gr +p HP

16K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  BadgerJ 
#1 ·
I just picked up a box of these about a week ago and normally I do research on HP ammo before I buy but these were on sale for a good price at $21 for a box of 20. I have heard the 147gr PDx1 has had pretty good reviews but I haven't heard much of anything on the
124's. I put 4 rounds of it through my g19 and it cycled just fine, however I haven't put anymore through it because it is the only box I have. Does anyone carry this in your gun? also can anyone reference some ballistics and expansion tests? thanks.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I have carried them for a while. I use the PDX line for all my carry/HD calibers. They claim that the PDX bonded bullet is the approved FBI load (in .40 I think). I have not done any expansion testing on them personally, but they are bonded version of the Ranger-T. From what I read, they are actually changing all the ranger-T over to this bonded bullet.

No bullet is perfect for every situation, so I was hesitant to go with a bullet that depends soley on expansion to do the job. These PDX are known for their penetration and weight retention. If they fail to expand (clogging, etc) I know they will penetrate. I also know they will get through a lot of barriers. They are also a couple of generations developed from black talons, so their expansion is big and ugly.

I am sure that someone can make a good case for any of the front-line high-end bullets as a carry load. in my opinion, The PDX bullet is in the front of pack of choices.

Just my two cents...

#10 ·
You are correct the FBI did choose the 180gr PDX 1 bullet for their Glocks. I do have and carry the 124gr +P PDX 1 in my Sigs. I recently switched to the Gold Dot because I could get them in the cheaper LE boxes. My experience is they shoot well out of my guns and I wouldn't hesitate to carry them. As for the Youtube videos, I like TNOutdoors9's videos and his test protocol is consistent how ever he is far from an expert. I don't like the denim tests, how often do you see a bad guy in the jean jacket and it is hardly as thick as 4 layers of denim. IMO denim is a very dense material and will not represent a real shooting situation where worse case you are shooting with someone wearing layers of winter clothing. I'm not expert either and I'm sure people know more than I do, but 4 layers of denim is not anything like the Colombia winter coat I wear.

#9 ·
I carry the 180gr .40 in my XD and really like them.

#11 ·
I bought some of those and also I got the +P+ 124gr all I need to do is to go to the range and try them out.

#17 ·
This is a fun discussion, but I'm not quite sure I get what you mean by this. Are you uncertain that your Glock 19 will fire a +P+ round and not, uh, bend the barrel? I mean a 9mm hole in a target is a 9mm hole. Help me out here.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the point of having 'defensive ammo'. Let's say you live in a normal city in the US. Your chances of using your firearm in Self-Defense is tiny. Miniscule. Almost Zero.

We read last week of a Mom who shot her daughter's boyfriend with a .25 mouse gun and put him in the hospital. I mean yeah, I've studied all the Youtube vids, guys shooting hams with .45 Hornady and Hydra-shock rounds. I just don't quite get, right now, besides the mind-set that, perhaps an Audio-phile has for splitting hairs, why one wouldn't just carry 12-15 rounds of the cheapest 115 grain 9mm with a spare mag and feel they were MORE than prepared for anything. ISTM that you can and should carry up to what local LE carries (.40 cal, JHP), but buying fancy bonded 'hot' rounds just complicates the whole regime, for minimal doesn't it? We're talking 1-2" more penetration, vs hitting the intended target, right? Just curious, not being argumentative.

Having said that, I do remember this scene with fondness.

Lady in Cement (1968) - YouTube

#13 ·
I too carry 124 PDX in my 9mm shield and when I get some more it will be in my P95 also

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs

#16 ·
There's nothing bad about the PDx1. However, there are several very good choices as well, such as the Federal HST, Winchester Silver Tip, Remington Golden Saber, Hornady Critical Defense, and Speer Gold Dot. The Critical Defense may be a better round in the winter because people usually wear heavier clothing. Notice I said may be. There is no such thing as the perfect bullet. In a hand gun, velocity is needed for consistent expansion. In my opinion, the lighter bullets have a better chance of expansion because they have the highest velocity. If I were shooting a 9mm, I would stick with the 125 gr. In a 40 S&W, I wouldn't go more than 165 gr., with 155 gr probably the best. I know I'll get shot down because a lot of people think the heaviest bullet is best, but that's their own opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.