Winchester PDx1 124gr +p HP

This is a discussion on Winchester PDx1 124gr +p HP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a box of these about a week ago and normally I do research on HP ammo before I buy but these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Winchester PDx1 124gr +p HP

Winchester PDx1 124gr +p HP

I just picked up a box of these about a week ago and normally I do research on HP ammo before I buy but these were on sale for a good price at $21 for a box of 20. I have heard the 147gr PDx1 has had pretty good reviews but I haven't heard much of anything on the
    124's. I put 4 rounds of it through my g19 and it cycled just fine, however I haven't put anymore through it because it is the only box I have. Does anyone carry this in your gun? also can anyone reference some ballistics and expansion tests? thanks.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

2. Remove Ads

There are a few that you'll find on YouTube.

That's my carry load for 9mm but I'm no ballistics expert so I don't really have any info for you.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    That's my carry load for 9mm but I'm no ballistics expert so I don't really have any info for you.
    I mean at a glance it definitely seems like a nice round. I watched a few videos on it, tnoutdoors9 briefly tested it and the bullet failed to expand because the cavity plugged with denim, but he only did one test so I don't know...
    Winchester PDX1 Bonded 9mm +P 124 gr JHP test with Denim - YouTube
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

I have carried them for a while. I use the PDX line for all my carry/HD calibers. They claim that the PDX bonded bullet is the approved FBI load (in .40 I think). I have not done any expansion testing on them personally, but they are bonded version of the Ranger-T. From what I read, they are actually changing all the ranger-T over to this bonded bullet.

No bullet is perfect for every situation, so I was hesitant to go with a bullet that depends soley on expansion to do the job. These PDX are known for their penetration and weight retention. If they fail to expand (clogging, etc) I know they will penetrate. I also know they will get through a lot of barriers. They are also a couple of generations developed from black talons, so their expansion is big and ugly.

I am sure that someone can make a good case for any of the front-line high-end bullets as a carry load. in my opinion, The PDX bullet is in the front of pack of choices.

Just my two cents...

Distinguished Member
    Yep, I do carry them. It's either PDX or Gold Dots for all my carry ammo. Either one will get the job done, and feed just fine.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I noticed that in one image i saw of the bullet expanded it was very sharp and jagged kind of like the black talons i have seen.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I don't use the PDX1, but I do use Ranger bonded in 165gr for my 40cal. I have no complaints and carry it always.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

I carry the 180gr .40 in my XD and really like them.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
    I have carried them for a while. I use the PDX line for all my carry/HD calibers. They claim that the PDX bonded bullet is the approved FBI load (in .40 I think). I have not done any expansion testing on them personally, but they are bonded version of the Ranger-T. From what I read, they are actually changing all the ranger-T over to this bonded bullet.

No bullet is perfect for every situation, so I was hesitant to go with a bullet that depends soley on expansion to do the job. These PDX are known for their penetration and weight retention. If they fail to expand (clogging, etc) I know they will penetrate. I also know they will get through a lot of barriers. They are also a couple of generations developed from black talons, so their expansion is big and ugly.

I am sure that someone can make a good case for any of the front-line high-end bullets as a carry load. in my opinion, The PDX bullet is in the front of pack of choices.

Just my two cents...
    You are correct the FBI did choose the 180gr PDX 1 bullet for their Glocks. I do have and carry the 124gr +P PDX 1 in my Sigs. I recently switched to the Gold Dot because I could get them in the cheaper LE boxes. My experience is they shoot well out of my guns and I wouldn't hesitate to carry them. As for the Youtube videos, I like TNOutdoors9's videos and his test protocol is consistent how ever he is far from an expert. I don't like the denim tests, how often do you see a bad guy in the jean jacket and it is hardly as thick as 4 layers of denim. IMO denim is a very dense material and will not represent a real shooting situation where worse case you are shooting with someone wearing layers of winter clothing. I'm not expert either and I'm sure people know more than I do, but 4 layers of denim is not anything like the Colombia winter coat I wear.

I bought some of those and also I got the +P+ 124gr all I need to do is to go to the range and try them out.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

My 9mm is loaded with the PDX 1 +P now. Wifes is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense at the moment. Speer Gold Dots, PDX1 or Critical Defense Or Critical Duty, any of them Im fine with in 124 or 115 grain.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I too carry 124 PDX in my 9mm shield and when I get some more it will be in my P95 also

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

the pdx1 is awesome ammo in my opinion; I wish I would have taken advantage of the supply that I used to walk by at walmart in years past.

When I buy Winchester for carry I only buy the Ranger LE. I only carry a street proven LE load no matter the brand. Speer Gold Dot is my first choice and Federal HST are a close second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links