Is your .45acp a +p?

Is your .45acp a +p?

This is a discussion on Is your .45acp a +p? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 30 and am looking for new carry ammo. I have some temp 165gr stuff (all I cound find locally) that I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Is your .45acp a +p?

Is your .45acp a +p?

I have a Glock 30 and am looking for new carry ammo. I have some temp 165gr stuff (all I cound find locally) that I carry, until I can find some place that sells a quality 230gr JHP.

Do you carry +p in your 45acp? Is it really worth it in a relatively shorter-barreled gun and a slower moving bullet? I havent shot any +p 45acp yet, but would you say the performance justifies what I would imagine as a pretty good amount of extra snap with the pistol?
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.

I don't recall ever buying or seeing +P .45, just regular SD 230grn works for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Its out there. Just have no experience with it and looking for input compared to standard pressure quality .45acp, such as Gold Dots, Ranger-Ts, HSTs, etc.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't buy +P anything for my G30. There are too many quality SD loads out there that your gun can digest a steady diet of and will do the job if you do yours. I currently have Short Barrel Gold Dots (because all they had was SBs) and Win PDX1s, both 230 grains, both of which feed 100% and in which I have faith. Whether they are effective is on me.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I have a Glock 30 and am looking for new carry ammo. I have some temp 165gr stuff (all I cound find locally) that I carry, until I can find some place that sells a quality 230gr JHP.

Do you carry +p in your 45acp? Is it really worth it in a relatively shorter-barreled gun and a slower moving bullet? I havent shot any +p 45acp yet, but would you say the performance justifies what I would imagine as a pretty good amount of extra snap with the pistol?
    Shot .45 ACP + P out of an XDS. You know it's got a little more sizzle but not enough to be uncomfortable. Is there an advantage? I dunno. It's a .45 . So is being hit with a faster big rock going to make a difference? None that I could see. I do think it is helpful on something big , like a car engine.
    ugh762x39 likes this.

Short answer. You don't need +p for a 230 grain 45 cal bullet.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have a Glock 30 and am looking for new carry ammo. I have some temp 165gr stuff (all I cound find locally) that I carry, until I can find some place that sells a quality 230gr JHP. Do you carry +p in your 45acp?
    Yes.
    Is it really worth it in a relatively shorter-barreled gun and a slower moving bullet?
    Yes.
    I havent shot any +p 45acp yet, but would you say the performance justifies what I would imagine as a pretty good amount of extra snap with the pistol?
    Yes. No noticeable increase in snap with CorBon +P DPX in my G30SF versus standard pressure 230 grain FMJ.
    Last edited by marcclarke; November 10th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I carry ranger t +p
    Coming out of a 4.4in barrel
    I dint notice any difference in recoil
    But the math says its a 179 fps faster.
    I don't shoot SD ammo regularly just enough that I know my gun will eat it.
    Not a game breaker, just preference is all
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Tried +P a while back in one of the steel 1911s - yep, sure had more snot on the trigger end. Muzzle flip was greater and sight picture recovery slower than with standard-pressure rounds. Never felt a need to carry it.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

IMO +P is a waste and as I have said b4 I like 200gr HP just like Mr. Browning put in his 45 I find they are the best load I have ever used and I have made them my primary load and been using since 1958.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Odd physics with +P .45acp
    The added velocity of +P may cause your JHP ammo to expand sooner (aka, not penetrate as deeply). Many variables.
    The benefits of +P ammo seems to increase with shorter barrels

My .45s are all rated +P and I have several cases of Hornady 185 gr +P STX and some in 200 gr STX non +P.
    I was issued a Glock 21 with Winchester Ranger T 45 ACP 230gr JHP #RA45T which went along at about 850fps with some nasty mushrooming. Very effective.

A good, confusing example is the "Speer Gold Dot 200 gr 45 acp". It was found to be unacceptable by many LEAs, but functions well in +P, which is the only way it is sold now days.
    For citizens who plan to use their ammo as "Defensive Only" the bullet configs with thinner jackets (no intermediate targets, e.g. auto glass, etc.) like 'Gold Dot for Short Barrels', 'Hornady Critical Defense', etc., make a logical choice.

Since the term "+P" is not a legal term, beware of the non-major brands. The +Ps are 'supposed to be' 10% more powder, but many would recommend a 10% reduction in bullet weight in attaining the velocity for needed 'expansion, penetration'. Some would say both, as in the case of the Gold Dot 200gr +P.

Best rule of thumb is to carry Quality, Name Brand JHP Ammo as your first 5 rounds, at least, when carrying.
    Lighter bullet weights WILL give you more ft-lbs of impact.
    Heavier bullet weights WILL give you more penetration.
    +P ammo WILL give you earlier expansion (often optimal, but sometimes defeats penetration).

For .380acp & .38 Special, +P ammo is essential for defensive use...after that, its advantage gets fuzzy. I normally use +P for any barrel 3 inches & under.

Check with manufacturer's site or manual, if they don't state the use of +P ammo is advisable, do NOT use it. There is always the 'Triple-Tap'. LOL
    gatorbait51 and G26Raven like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I carry Winchester PDX1 230 grain in my government size 1911 carry guns. It is rated at the high end of ballistics for standard pressure ammo. I carry CorBon 165 grain +P in my pocket SA XDs-45.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

My +p is a 454 casull and actually has a noticeable increase in recoil and performance. The extra energy is important to take down heavy tough animals that could prey on you in the woods. My 45 auto has +p HSTs and +P Gold Dots. I can barely notice a difference in a full sized pistol vs standard pressure but the extra velocity may help ensure full expansion. The bullets are still slow and the extra 50fps doesn't count for much other than that. I bought the +p ammo for not much more than standard pressure and would feel fine if I had only standard pressure as long as the bullet design was good, over 200gr.

I don't carry +P, mainly because I think .45 is plenty adequate as it is. Also, I like to practice with stuff that has pretty much the same characteristics as my carry ammo, and +P range ammo is plenty 'spensive.

However, I was tempted at one time to build a 1911 upgraded for .45 Super as a dual-duty SD/anti-Bear piece. Decided at the time a .44 Mag revolver to back-up a long gun was a better option.

Some day...

Never shot .45 Super, but sure would like to.

VIP Member
    I have shot it in the revolvers and do not think it is worth the wear and tear for the most part;
    except in the Blackhawk convertible shooting Magtec Guardian Gold. That ammo is extremely accurate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links