G 27 & FTF...WOW! Should We Rotate our Ammo?

This is a discussion on G 27 & FTF...WOW! Should We Rotate our Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Winchester PDX-1 for my .40 G 27. Purchased a box about 6 months ago and fired off ten rnds at the range. Put the other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: G 27 & FTF...WOW! Should We Rotate our Ammo?

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Winchester PDX-1 for my .40 G 27.

Purchased a box about 6 months ago and fired off ten rnds at the range. Put the other ten in my Mag for carry.

The (10) rnds of PDX-1 were removed every time I went to the range to practice with Winchester white box and then placed back in the mag.

So I decide it is time to cycle the now (6) month old PDX-1. Guess what?

FAILURE TO FEED following (1) round that did fire. Bang!..and then I see the second round about 50% into the barrel with the slide
    now stuck open. Clearing this jam required perhaps 3-5 secs!

Needless to say, this was quite disconcerting to me. If my cheap white box crap did this I would not be overly concerned; but my defensive ammo? Wow!

I now wonder if defensive ammo should be fired off after perhaps 2 or 3 months.

BTW: Yes; I clean my gun after every visit to the range.

Just bought a box of Barnes TAC-XPD..I think I'll fire off all 20 rnds today and but another box.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

I don't see where your actions would cause the feed problem. Sounds like your Glock just doesn't like the round itself. With the shape of the nose of the PDX1 round, I don't see how chambering the round multiple times would misshape the nose and cause a feed issue.

I would fire off 25-50 rounds of my carry ammo in my selected autos before trusting my life to um.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

No. I can't speak to what actually caused the FTF, but the ammo being six months old most certainly wasn't it. First, ammo doesn't go bad for years or decades, if ever. Second, the prior round fired with enough authority to cycle the action; the problem came about when the bolt was coming forward to change the next round. I'd fire off the rest of the PDX-1 I had, and then enough more to establish either that it was a one-time event (no matter what you pay for your ammo, defective rounds can happen) or that my gun just doesn't like that ammo for some reason.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
    oneshot and stormbringerr like this.

Distinguished Member
    Did you run any PDX-1 through you pistol when you bought it 6 months ago? How much? Maybe you found some SD rounds that don't feed well in your G27?
    Also, I'm not positive, but it could be that unloading/loading all those rounds in and out of your magazine for each range trip buggered up the casings a bit, making them tougher to feed. Did you inspect the round that wouldn't feed?

I really don't think it matters if the ammo is 6 months old or 6 years old, that doesn't effect how it will feed and shoot (if stored properly of course). I think it's either those carry rounds don't feed well in your gun or they got marred up from being loaded/unloaded so much.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    When I go to the range, the first mag that gets spent is the SD ammo already in the gun, and then I use fmj for the rest of my practice. You shouldn't make a habit out of emptying your SD ammo from a mag before practice, and loading it with practice ammo...just my $.02 worth.
    9mmjoy and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Age has nothing to do with it. My Glock feeds PDX1s fine. If you feel you need to shoot all your SD ammo every couple of months. fire away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Ammo from 75-100 years ago fire just fine.
    If stored in a dry place.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Unloading and reloading the same ammo over and over isn't good for the ammo.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I am a fan of putting a couple hundred rounds of what ever I am going to carry in my semis downrange just to make sure they feed. IMHO one mag tells you nothing. I know its not cheap but its something you have to do. Nothing wrong with calling support at your mfg an ask them what they recomend at least you will have a starting point.

It has less to do with rotating your rounds than just the jam happening. Hollow points generally FTF a lot easier than ball ammo even if you've shot your SD rounds through your gun before. I'd just practice my malfunction drill and keep on going.

The need to rotate your ammo or the age shouldn't matter (as long as you store your guns and mags in a cool dry place)

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I'm not so much questioning the (age) of the ammo as I have shot .270 rifle that is well over 8 yrs old.

I examined the shell casing of the misaligned round "after" I cleared and fired it; didn't see anything untoward.
    I know; it would have been more useful to examine the round before firing it, but that would have required me to physically pull the round from it's half inserted position.
    I basically dropped the mag and completed the slide cycle by pulling and releasing. The round fired w/o a problem as did the remaining (8).

At this point I can only guess. I purchased the Glock as I have heard the way they are built loosly, one could fire buffalo chips thru it after dropping it in who knows what!

I first suspected the mag, then the feed ramp and lastly the ammo. I have only one guess.

There are times when I am at work with the weapon in the trunk. I sometimes remove the mag and put it in my pocket; so I am wondering
    if lint etc could have entered the mag? Just a guess.

I agree with some of the above posts; I should buy and test no less than 50 of what I carry. Someone recommended I take each round and insert them one by one into the
    back of the barrel to see if each slides in and out smoothly.

I'm going to try these all brass Barnes TAC XPD's for a while. Expensive? Yep....worth my life? Yep.

Thanks for the input.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I could be the gun, not the ammo. How many rounds has the recoil spring been through?

You might want to test a couple of hundred carry rounds through you gun. Did the failure occur with all you mags?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Yeah it's especially hard now with the shortage, but given the evidence I'm going to say that 10 rounds is not sufficient to decide it feeds reliably. If you can FIND 50 rounds to test, do, by all means.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

Yeager has spoken any number of times re seeing his students have massive, catastrophic, ammo failures after the last obama induced ammo shortage. He says there were only two brands from which he never saw a failure; wolf & pmc, if I recall correctly.

His theory was that the ammo companies quality control slipped, with increased capacity, trying to meet increased demand. Since you bought your ammo 6 months ago, and it falls within the current post sandy hook ammo shortage, it made me wonder.

Btw, not that we can do much about it, but any ammo we have acquired during the latest crisis might bear watching closely.

I've had a similar situation to the op with my Sig. Bought 2 boxes of HST .45's when I bought the gun. Same lot number on both boxes. Fired the first box at the range with no issues. Loaded and carried the next ten for a month or so. Pulled it to dispatch a mean buzzard that was after one of my dogs. First round fired but second wedged on the way into the chamber. Cleared it and fired again, same result. Tried cycling the slide manually and about every other round did the same thing. Mine runs wwb, American Eagle, even. Tula Steele case no problem. Bought a couple boxes of Hornady custom 200gr yesterday and they ran no problem. Not sure what happened with the HST's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links