223/5.56 ammo opinion

223/5.56 ammo opinion

This is a discussion on 223/5.56 ammo opinion within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an AR-15 rifle with a 1 in 9 twist . this rifle is for home defense and I am looking for either 223 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 223/5.56 ammo opinion

223/5.56 ammo opinion

I have an AR-15 rifle with a 1 in 9 twist .

this rifle is for home defense and I am looking for either 223 rem. or 5.56 ammo recommendations.
    I was considering Federal xm193. Thank-you for your opinions
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I use something that frags very well when it hits something. May not be the best for penetration, but know what is behind my target in my sector of fire I chose that to avoid the bullet exiting my house and hitting my neighbor.
    Logic likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The 1-in-9 twist came about to stabilize the heavier (thus longer) military bullets in the 5.56. The typical 1-in-12 in sporter rifles would not do such a good job with the heavier bullets (It's the length, not the weight that causes the stabilization problem). Your 1-in-9 should be good with any bullet you select, whether you opt for expansion or penetration.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thats my pick, too. Its my go to ammo.

I mean I have bottom of the barrel stuff for practice use, but I trust the lake city stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    I have an AR-15 rifle with a 1 in 9 twist .

this rifle is for home defense and I am looking for either 223 rem. or 5.56 ammo recommendations.
    I was considering Federal xm193. Thank-you for your opinions
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I like the Hornady TAP ammo. It is issued by quite a few law enforcement agencies and most have had good results with it. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    If you aren't planning on shooting more than 100 yards, twist is irrelevant. As you are talking home defense, then I would imagine less than 100 yards is what you will be shooting.

The current hot ammo for that situation is Speer 223 LE 55 grain Gold Dot Soft Point (GDSP)

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Rifle Details

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison
    rcsoftexas and BigJon10125 like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I would agree with the above.... you don't want a high penetrating ammo that will go thru the walls, your neighbors walls, etc. A Frangible, a soft point or hollow point ammo would be better... to me, in that order.

Personally, I wouldn't use an AR for close range defense (40-50 ft or less) ...... I would use a shorter barrel shotgun or handgun.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    If you aren't planning on shooting more than 100 yards, twist is irrelevant. As you are talking home defense, then I would imagine less than 100 yards is what you will be shooting.

The current hot ammo for that situation is Speer 223 LE 55 grain Gold Dot Soft Point (GDSP)

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Rifle Details

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison
    For a 1/9 HD round that is exactly what I'd recommend.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

Lead Moderator
    For 1/9 twist I believe 62 gr. and lower is recommended . Lots of reading here also
    :: Ammo Oracle
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use an AR for close range defense (40-50 ft or less) ...... I would use a shorter barrel shotgun or handgun.

You'd use something that holds less ammo and penetrates much further through walls than a rifle?

Think about SWAT teams-- there's a reason why they're primarily armed with ARs and not submachine guns, shotguns and pistols, and they are involved in close quarters situations all the time.

I recommend a soft point or ballistic tip in the 52-64gr range that your rifle feeds reliably and has good accuracy.
    Last edited by Cuda66; November 10th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hornady TAP

Sneaky,

The 1:9 is perfect for 55-62 grain bullets. any heavier and you need a 1:7 twist. I also run Nosler Ballistic tips in my AR for HD.
    airslot and Aceoky like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    For 1/9 twist I believe 62 gr. and lower is recommended . Lots of reading here also
    :: Ammo Oracle
    Thank-you rocky for the link--I got my ammo answer--Federal 55grainHP-

This is what a Federal 55gr.HP did-

Counter Opinion: Specialty Rounds are the best choice for defensive use.
    Specialty rounds have been gaining popularity among police and tactical teams and appear to perform very well. Consider the results of this shooting with Federal 55-grain HP:

When the autopsy was performed, the forensic pathologist was amazed at the degree of internal devastation caused by the .223 round. There was a two-inch void of tissue in the chest, with a literal "snowstorm" of bullet fragments and secondary bone fragments throughout the upper left chest area. The round struck the subject 11 inches below the top of his head and inflicted the following wounds: Penetrated the top of the left lung, left carotid and subclavian arteries. The collar bone and first rib were broken. Cavity measured 5x6 centimeters. What is significant about this "instant one-shot stop" was that the round did not strike the subject at the most effective or optimum angle and did not involve any direct contact with the heart or central nervous system. .223 for CQB.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    You'd use something that holds less ammo and penetrates much further through walls than a rifle?

Think about SWAT teams-- there's a reason why they're primarily armed with ARs and not submachine guns, shotguns and pistols, and they are involved in close quarters situations all the time.
    .223 / 5.56 will penetrate further than what I have in a handgun, and it sure will penetrate more than a shotgun. I don't use slugs in shotguns... to me that is a total farse.... # 2 shot will do much more damage at close range. I have no issue reloading quickly... and always have extra mags handy.....

Uh, have you actually seen where SWAT teams bullets end up ? ...... 2 blocks down the street thru 3 walls and nearly killing the resident ? Apparently you haven't seen that side of it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links