Good price on Hornadys 308?

This is a discussion on Good price on Hornadys 308? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at the LGS today and they had bunches of ammo, I tell ya maybe it's SC or something but their was plenty. Got 200 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By patri0t

Thread: Good price on Hornadys 308?

Distinguished Member

Was at the LGS today and they had bunches of ammo, I tell ya maybe it's SC or something but their was plenty. Got 200 rounds of .22lr today because that was all I could afford (and I already have over 5,000 rounds).

I did see a box of Hornadys 308 hollows, $50 for 50 bullets and almost broke out the cc but wasn't sure if this is what I should have done since I already have enough hollow points and really just want some to practice with. Should I go back in the morning and break out the cc (with interest it will end up costing a bit more) or just put my breaks on? There were some plain Remington but they also were a dollar a bullet (same price) and I'd rather have the Hornadys.

Opinions?!
    patri0t likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

For practice ammo I'd check here: Find .308 Win / 7.62x51 NATO Ammo in stock | WikiArms - 308 Win 7.62 NATO Ammo availability

I see Lake City ammo @ $0.64/round + in stock. FMJ and decent ammo. I wouldn't take the Tula or PPU stuff for free.

I stock up on Hornady .223 BTHP & .45 +P JHP as I do not believe the prices are going to come down. I calm down a bit when I hit 10k rounds in my 'non-practice' calibers.
    Also, I like to keep a case of 'practice ammo on hand for my 'necessary' calibers.
    Several cases of Duty-Grade 00 shells helps give me the warm fuzzies.
    Sister likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    Thank you Patri0t! Saved to my fav and I ordered 2 of their magazines. Now I need some more help, way too many to pick from. I'm just looking for some practice ammo for my 308 (Winchester, wood stock older model). My question is: What is "short range" ammo in the 308? I already got a good bit of SHTF hollow points for this gun.

Well yeah, I'm guessing you don't need the bullets to go far?! Not really sure. All I want is something inexpensive to shoot at targets about 40-50 yards away. Is that considered short range? Am still a bit new to this but the 308 is my most favorite gun, don't want to put junk in it either.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

A buck a round is high, for plinking ammo! I've been getting PRVI or CBC/MagTec for about $.60 per round plus shipping.

The short range stuff uses plastic bullets and small powder charges. Personally, I don't fool with it.
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; November 12th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    The short range stuff uses plastic bullets and small powder charges.
    TY for the info, I didn't know what short range ammo was and it doesn't sound like something I want to put in my gun either.

~ Jesus ~

Links