223/5.56 ammo for 1/7 twist

This is a discussion on 223/5.56 ammo for 1/7 twist within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gentlemen its been a few moons $ sunrises since active duty in the Marines but having seen the writing on the wall I returned a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sneaky

Thread: 223/5.56 ammo for 1/7 twist

Gentlemen its been a few moons $ sunrises since active duty in the Marines but having seen the writing on the wall I returned a the Windham Weaponry -223 AR rifle(disguised as a Bushamster)
    and bought the rifle the rifle that we rolled in the mud,rain,heat(100degrees),snow and even took the rifle apart blindfolded and the dam rifle kept on ticking-- the Colt M16. Well today I bought the
    Colt M4-6920-AR rifle. This rifle has a 1/7 twist and I am asking ammo opinions for this rifle that will be part of my home defense.
    Thank-you & Semper Fi
    Aceoky likes this.

Hornady 75-gr TAP is what I use. Excellent cartridge.

I think this article may help: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I also got the Colt LE version of the AR. Not sure about the MaTech BUIS, but the .mil is planning to go back to them.

I prefer Hornady 68 gr BTHP. Unlike my days in the Corp, I am no longer restricted to the NATO (M193) 55gr FMJ junk we were confined to. But it did the job in 'Nam.
    The 1:7 twist ratio is excellent for the heavier ammo. The popular 1:9 twist is better for the 55gr FMJ, that most folks use. It works.
    I still keep a couple cases of M855 (62gr), as I hear it is quite effective on blue helmets (just in case). HA!
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I also got the Colt LE version of the AR. Not sure about the MaTech BUIS, but the .mil is planning to go back to them.

I prefer Hornady 68 gr BTHP. Unlike my days in the Corp, I am no longer restricted to the NATO (M193) 55gr FMJ junk we were confined to. But it did the job in 'Nam.
    The 1:7 twist ratio is excellent for the heavier ammo. The popular 1:9 twist is better for the 55gr FMJ, that most folks use. It works.
    I still keep a couple cases of M855 (62gr), as I hear it is quite effective on blue helmets (just in case). HA!
    Semper Fi-- Brother! I also served during the Nam Era. Have you any experience or know of any LE using Hornady 68 gr. BTHP?
    I always laugh that on different forums I am advised to not believe in one shot stops-Internet Warriors.
    Stay safe and enjoy life.

I keep 64gr Federal Fusion soft points in my AR. I purchased the bullets as pulled components years ago.

The 62gr Fusion MSR is probably the closest thing you're going to find today. The terminal effects are pretty nice.AMMO REVIEW: .223 62 gr FEDERAL FUSION and FUSION MSR - YouTube

Semper Fi Sneaky. I use 75 gr 5.56mm Hornady TAP - it is the best available assuming you don't plan on needing to defeat barriers/car windshields.

Austin

I have mine loaded with a standard soft point round. It is Prvi Partizan 55 GR, but I actually get it from Academy (labeled as Monarch).

It has good accuracy out of my Palmetto State Armory 16" barrel (1:7 twist). At 100 yards it still puts a dimple in a 1/2" AR500 steel plate. More so than a standard FMJ or Bi-Metal jacket.

131117 - Shootsteel_HG-21.jpg 131117 - Shootsteel_HG-23.jpg

A 1/7 twist "should" be able to handle well anything from 50 grains on up - as a rule- however every rifle is an individual and YMMV some will even handle the lighter weights (< 50 grains) quite well - some won't .
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Sponsored Links