Where is all the Ammo ????

This is a discussion on Where is all the Ammo ???? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we have talked about the lack of ammo on the forum . But it is not getting better here in Maryland and i ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Where is all the Ammo ????

VIP Member

I know we have talked about the lack of ammo on the forum .

But it is not getting better here in Maryland and i think it will not get much better EVER went to WW and they have no ammo at all same as a year ago . Cannot buy ammo at the range because they sell it to the people using the range .

If you can find some you have a limit of 3 boxes at best . I am not sure about buying online but i may be forced to buy this way just so i can get my stock up when i have extra money .

Does anyone think it will get better ???
    gatorbait51 and AmmoFan01 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

It is getting better overall, but the "resupply" is uneven, to say the least. Here in the Phoenix area with scads of shooters, it's hard to find much in the way of defensive ammo and .22 LR gets scarfed up as fast as it hits the shelves. But just last week, another thread described a decent if not abundant supply at Wally Worlds in other parts of the country.

My struggle has been with .22 LR in particular. I have a decent inventory (from pre-Newtown) of most of my commonly-shot calibers, and I reload .45 so that takes care of the supply for the weekly matches. But getting .22 LR without paying ten cents a round is close to impossible for me. My "go to" .22 round (repectable accuracy in all my LR guns), the American Eagle HP, is at least back-orderable at Midway for a normal price, so I have a case on order there.
    gatorbait51 and glockman10mm like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Very good question ...... I would like to know too. Seeing it trickle in here or there, but no big supply nor any place you can walk in and have something in each caliber. It's still scarce. .22 LR is non-existent. Seeing over-priced .223 /5.56 now at most places though.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Tons of ammo at ww over here, everything except . 22, but that does up at least once a week.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No ammo here at ww hasnt been for a long time. Bass pro has defensive ammo an a bunch of primers grabbed a couple thousand this week. Almost have to reload now if you want to shoot regularly. Where are you seeing ammo for sale I see none.

Kriller, where do you see ammo in the FT Myers area our ww has none ever
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Very good question ...... I would like to know too. Seeing it trickle in here or there, but no big supply nor any place you can walk in and have something in each caliber. It's still scarce. .22 LR is non-existent. Seeing over-priced .223 /5.56 now at most places though.
    Not to hijack the thread, but what do you consider an acceptable price for .223/5.56?

I have my own price point, but I'm wondering about others'.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I know we have talked about the lack of ammo on the forum .

But it is not getting better here in Maryland and i think it will not get much better EVER went to WW and they have no ammo at all same as a year ago . Cannot buy ammo at the range because they sell it to the people using the range .

If you can find some you have a limit of 3 boxes at best . I am not sure about buying online but i may be forced to buy this way just so i can get my stock up when i have extra money .

Does anyone think it will get better ???

I do not depend on Wal-Mart or the local gun shop for ammo, that would severely limit my options.

Heck with being restricted by local availability and arbitrary limitations:
    Ammunition Depot | Bulk Ammo Sales | Wholesale Ammunition Online
    Pistol Ammo : Ammo To Go
    Bulk Handgun Ammo For Sale
    Handgun Ammo | Bulk Handgun Ammunition For Sale Cheap
    gatorbait51, welder516 and Aceoky like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It is getting better overall, but the "resupply" is uneven, to say the least. Here in the Phoenix area with scads of shooters, it's hard to find much in the way of defensive ammo and .22 LR gets scarfed up as fast as it hits the shelves. But just last week, another thread described a decent if not abundant supply at Wally Worlds in other parts of the country.

My struggle has been with .22 LR in particular. I have a decent inventory (from pre-Newtown) of most of my commonly-shot calibers, and I reload .45 so that takes care of the supply for the weekly matches. But getting .22 LR without paying ten cents a round is close to impossible for me. My "go to" .22 round (repectable accuracy in all my LR guns), the American Eagle HP, is at least back-orderable at Midway for a normal price, so I have a case on order there.
    It appears to be a matter of perspective. I'm in the Phoenix area now visiting the kids and grand kids. Ammo other than .22 lr better than Carson City I bought a hundred round value pack of 9mm at Wally World in Surprise last night, and they had plenty there. 40S&W and 45 acp even .38 spec ! Enjoy the goodness.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

I recently had to attempt online ammo buying because there was no decent priced ammo in my area. I had an overall good experience. I didn't get a great deal, but it was slightly cheaper than buying it at the store (when you could find it). Another plus was I was able to get 500 rounds (9mm) and have it all upfront instead of a three box limit. I maybe saved a few bucks, but the convenience factor of having it brought to my door for a little less than in a store was nice. I would look into it...

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    It appears to be a matter of perspective. I'm in the Phoenix area now visiting the kids and grand kids. Ammo other than .22 lr better than Carson City I bought a hundred round value pack of 9mm at Wally World in Surprise last night, and they had plenty there. 40S&W and 45 acp even .38 spec ! Enjoy the goodness.
    I've seen (and bought) ball ammo available sporadically at WW, but not defensive stuff (JHP).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you consider an acceptable price for .223/5.56?

.48-.50 per round for "new" ammo & above when buying a 1000 rds, seems high to me at this point. There is some ..... that has started to get 'just' below that, but a lot of it remanf ammo. For me ... good price is $.40 a round ( & lower would be nice....was about .32 - .34 before the rush) when buying "quantity". If just buying single 20 rd boxes at a time, then you can expect $.50 - $.60 a rd.

I've seen a lot priced for $.75 per rd when buying quantity ... 1000 rds or more.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

ten years ago i bought my first 20rd box of .223 to feed the mini14 at $7 now i think $10 to 12 is reasonable.

a year ago WM sold 100 rd federal American eagle for $ 37. i consider that a fair price. last week the cheapest brass cased 223 at WM was $40.

around last thanksgiving i bought a ton of .40 at WM. $27 for 100rd of federal AE. ran out a month ago and have been paying at least 30% more regardless of quantity.

250rd boxes are available at WM so a three box limit is not so bad.

prices at the LGS is a bit higher, about $50 for 100rd. 223

50rd box of 9mm is around $16, 40SW around $20 and $23 for .45ACP

ammo is a plenty here in Dayton OH area and one can find just about any caliber at about the same price as a year before. some places still have limits but most don't

gander mountain was the only outfit to raise prices during the crunch.

OP i get my carry ammo here, 50rd box of premium JHP is a lot cheaper the 20rd boxes. SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma
    welder516 and Aceoky like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I've seen (and bought) ball ammo available sporadically at WW, but not defensive stuff (JHP).
    I been taking the grand kids shooting so just looking at hardball right now.

.22s are virtually not to be found where Im at in Middle TN. Saying that, I have found at the local WW 100 round boxes of CCI minimags, and bought a few of those. My best find ever was 1,000 round boxes of winchester black box .22 Lr M-55 or something, for $50 a box. I bought two of those. That was all they had.

I am very concerned at prices, now. I did see a box of 555 win .22 Lr this week at walmart. I passed on them, as I thought the price just too high. They were $25. Heck, the MOST I had ever seen them for was $18, pre sandy hook, and 12-15 was probably an average price.

Right this instant you can buy lots of 9mm, and 5.56 at the WW. PPU was $15 per 50 round box. I consider that too much for practice rounds.

I had previously ordered everything, (except .22s) online. I stocked up on magtech & S&B 9mm, and probably paid $6.00 a box of 50 for the S&B, and somewhere around the same for the magtech, pre sandy hook.

When the online sources started to skrew us all on prices, post sandy hook, walmart prices looked like the best thing ever. However, like I said, NORMALLY I consider walmart prices too high on ammo. Btw, Im in TN, and with the local add on optional sales tax, tax here is right at 10%. So ordering online almost always saves me money. Even with shipping.

I have found that calibers for the most popular rounds comes back first or stuff that is imoprted and cheep ie 7.62x39 223 , 9 etc but stuff that is not all that populare or for guns that will likly never be banned it is put off to the wayside till the other stuff is in stock ie 22,38,357 . I have found ammo for everthing even 22 save 38 .

Also I have found most of the ammo in stock seem to be the more expensive HD ammo not as much plinking stuff.

Also I would ventor a guess that in states when approcing AWB and the like or the fear of them people are still stocking up and laying in depth stuff so they wont have to go only to a ffl and need a permit to get it

And yes it seems online is still the place with stock but shipping can get you

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links