Remington Golden Saber

Remington Golden Saber

This is a discussion on Remington Golden Saber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why the big difference in cost between it and it's competitors? I see 7.00 and 10 dollar differences. Is Remington Golden Sabers that good? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Remington Golden Saber

Remington Golden Saber

Why the big difference in cost between it and it's competitors? I see 7.00 and 10 dollar differences. Is Remington Golden Sabers that good? I am referring to .357 mag.

Compared to what? I have a few boxes of GS in 38+P that were a little cheaper than most other HP ammo on the shelf.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I prefer Hornady STX +P, Gold Dot +P & Cor-bon +P, but the Rem Golden Sabre is 'decent' ammo.

Even got a case of it in the lockers, but don't remember what caliber.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by EMTJosh View Post
    Compared to what? I have a few boxes of GS in 38+P that were a little cheaper than most other HP ammo on the shelf.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Hornady and Speer GD

I have used Rem Golden Sabres in various .357Mags (2 & 4 inch bbls) and my personal assessment is they are about my 4th or 5th choice.

Good question regarding their cost. It is probably because enough people will pay their price. It is good ammo.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.

.357 Golden Sabers are what I use in my snubnose. Due to availibility, actually, it is really the only carry ammo I can reliably locate and practice with, so I basically carry it in everything. The .357 loadings are often referred to as ".357 Medium" or ".357 Minimum" due to reduced pressures (Still outperforms a 9mm) for less felt recoil. Jacket separation has been observed in the non-bonded offerings, but usually in jug tests and not in ballistics gel.

If you are comparing Golden Sabers to FMJ or LRN practice loads, that is the cost difference. They are sealed, seated, and have higher quality primers because they are intended for carry and must go boom every time.

In my experience, Golden Sabers are cheaper than other personal defense loads.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Gold dots, sabers, hornady critical defense several others feed in just about any gun to me that says alot. They all work for sd the differences are negligible.

Remington apparently thinks they are gold plated bullets.... IMO golden saber offers no performance increase of anykind to justify the rediculous price.... Hydra shocks have always been my go to carry round. They have been around a long time but they are proven reliable and deadly... ask any of the dead BG's who have been put down with them. I recently have been carrying winchester PDX 1's as well. They have performed flawlessly in all of my guns, and their terminal performance has lbeen impressive in "testing" conducted by others.
    Aceoky and cb619 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I carry golden sabers .45 every day for years.Ive tested them every opportunity I get. Im pretty confident they will perform. They are a little more on the pocket but l get a cleaner gun and flauless performance.

I've seen some poor results with the PDX 1 in snubnose revolvers. Failure to open, FWIW.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by FireNerd View Post
    I've seen some poor results with the PDX 1 in snubnose revolvers. Failure to open, FWIW.
    The PDX1 rounds are NOT SD ammo. Unlike Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot 'for short bbls', they have thicker jackets for 'intermediate targets' (i.e. auto glass, doors, etc.) and will be much less likely to properly expand from a sidearm with a shorter barrel.

It should also be noted the milder Rem Golden Sabers are NOT a 'bonded bullet' as has been indirectly noted above.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Before this latest crunch Rem GS was a somewhat cheaper defensive round. It worked in everything I tried it in, and was accurate. I think what you are seeing is "what ever the market will bare" pricing. DR

VIP Member
    I've seen the prices range wildly. Maybe a supplier comes into a lot buy cheap and passes it on. Maybe a site cuts the price to bring in traffic. Who know.

I found GS to feed in all of my 9's and my 45. I wish they would use a low flash powder, though. I've notice speer gold dots have very little flash.

Bottom line is I think most of us overthink the designer ammo. Most will likely do the job if ever needed.
    Brad426 and rammerjammer like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

They are good performers and worth it. I especially like their 38+p

Prices range, there are some times when golden sabers are the cheapest option, I got a few boxes of 25 just 2 weeks ago of 9mm for $13 a box, then ive seen the same box for $25. Just have to keep your eyes open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links