Concerns with Buffalo Bore Ammo

This is a discussion on Concerns with Buffalo Bore Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. I recently purchased two boxes of buffalo bore ammo item 23 B - 40 S&W 180 grain JHP ammo... thinking that it was premium ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Concerns with Buffalo Bore Ammo

1. I recently purchased two boxes of buffalo bore ammo item 23 B - 40 S&W 180 grain JHP ammo... thinking that it was premium self defense ammo... after I got home I started examining the bullet trying to figure out what make of bullet it was tipped with as per example speer gold dot ... I am concerned that it may not be a premium bullet... However I can't identify the bullet so perhaps someone can help to identify it... see attached image... I have made 3 or 4 attempts to contact buffalo bore ammo but so far no response from them... For the price of the ammo and the claims that buffalo bore makes, I would not expect it to be anything less than premium self defense ammo...

2. I can not find a lot number on any of the boxes of ammo from buffalo bore ammo... if there had to be a recall then things would be difficult to track down

bbitem23B.jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    the BB website picture shows gold dot bullets for the leaded JHP and Barns solid copper for their lead free JHP but apparently they sometimes use different brands.

their web site used to say they used Speer gold dot but not anymore. the bullet in your picture is NOT a gold dot.

OverheadHPComparison.jpg

here is a link to Montana gold bullets http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.p...dex/?p=1&q=.40 but these don't look like the bullet you have so i have no clue what it is.

kinda looks like a hydra shock, is there a "post" in the middle of the cavity?

found this on the interwebs.

snip

I was led to believe that Buffalo Bore makes its ammo using Gold Dot 180 grain bullets (says so on the box on their site). Ordered some from Cabela's. VERY pricey stuff to be made with a range-quality bullet: Montana Gold. Sent an email to Buffalo Bore and received quite a nasty reply which is included in this note. I would NOT pay over a buck a round for ammo made with a third-rate bullet. I am sure Montana Gold is just fine for punching holes in paper at the range, but I would not trust my life or that of my family to it. Notice the attitude in the email below. This is one of those FYI things. Sorry for the negative attitude, but do not make the same very costly mistake I made. Jim

Sent: Sun 3/14/10 5:45 PM

and the reply from BB customer service.

First, who said we were "supposed" to make that load with Gold Dot bullets?
    Second, we simply cannot get Gold Dots these days as Speer cannot make
    enough of them to keep up with demand, so if we don't use Montana Gold
    bullets, we simply won't make any 180gr. JHP ammo at all. Third, the MGB is
    actually a very nice bullet in many regards, never mind what you may have
    been told. Fourth, if we can EVER get Gold Dot 180gr. .40 cal., bullets, we
    will load them into ammo, but we don't know if/when that will EVER happen.
    Take care.

Tim
    Last edited by technomonster; November 18th, 2013 at 05:03 AM.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Unless I badly miss my guess, that is a Hornady XTP.

It definitely is not a Gold Dot; it also does not resemble the 180gr Montana Gold bullet.
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Techno... There is not a post at the bottom of the cavity... the cavity ends with a flat surface... I am very disappointed that buffalo bore has not responded to my inquiries.. There is a Cabela's coming to Anchorage, supposed to open this spring so hopefully I will be able to find more choices in ammo... its been very difficult to find good ammo in AK since all the crap happened last year...

I hope that others see this post and have their radar up before buying buffalo bore ammo... I only bought it because it was the only thing on the shelves at Sportsmans Warehouse for 40 s&w, self defense ammo... I sort of feel like bb has duped me at this point...

Edit...
    Cuda66... if that is indeed an XTP then I will be satisfied with the ammo...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It looks very similar to the Federal Hydra-shok bullets that I bought for my .380acp. But if there isn't a post inside the core, then that ain't it.

I'm a bit leery of these so-called designer ammo manufacturers like Buffalo Bore that use whatever casings, bullets, etc. they can get their hands on and then change them at the drop of the hat. If you happen to have a finicky semi-auto, you need to know what your buying!

Also, I purchased some BB .380acp+P hardcast ammo by mistake recently (I meant to get the standard version), as the website I was on made it too easy to select the wrong type. Even though I had called around 6 hours later in the early morning to inform them of my mistake, they told me it had already shipped, something I'm a bit skeptical of, considering UPS doesn't even make pick-ups that early that I'm aware of.

Needless to say, I won't be ordering from them again. I didn't care much for the whole experience, and I don't like their overly-large "one size fits all" ammo boxes that eat up space. Also, shooting that +P ammo in my CZ-83 was an unpleasant experience that I didn't care for at all. I will just stick with the manufacturers where I KNOW what I will be getting when I order it!

Quote Originally Posted by glock20 View Post
    Techno... There is not a post at the bottom of the cavity... the cavity ends with a flat surface... I am very disappointed that buffalo bore has not responded to my inquiries.. There is a Cabela's coming to Anchorage, supposed to open this spring so hopefully I will be able to find more choices in ammo... its been very difficult to find good ammo in AK since all the crap happened last year...

I hope that others see this post and have their radar up before buying buffalo bore ammo... I only bought it because it was the only thing on the shelves at Sportsmans Warehouse for 40 s&w, self defense ammo... I sort of feel like bb has duped me at this point...

Edit...
    Cuda66... if that is indeed an XTP then I will be satisfied with the ammo...
    don't look like XTP to me, XPT has a smaller opening, more rounded nose and deep perforations. the reverse taper of the lead core near the mouth of the bullet and the big opening really looks like hydra-shock but since it has no post i gonna guess maybe some other bullet by federal?

federal HI-SHOK

hi shok.jpg

i usually get my SD ammo here Pistol Ammunition | SGAmmo.com. 165 gold dot has been out of stock for a while, they had 180 gold dot last week.

really i would trust any major brand Federal HST and Winchester ranger are both good choices.

SG has good prices on the 50 rd box premium JHP.i always buy a couple hundred at a time as i rotate out 50 or so every six months. just make sure what ever you get feeds reliably.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Federal has never sold the HydraShok as a reloading component; nor have I ever seen Hi-Shok sold as one, either.

XTPs, Gold Dots and a few others are, however. This is why you often see them used as components by manufacturers like BB, Black Hills, etc...

That looks very similar to the 10mm, 180gr XTP's I have/had. I got rid of my 10mm ammo earlier this year, but I think I still have a couple of them rattling around. I'll check when I get home on Tuesday...if I remember.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Looks like federal personal defense round.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    I would say either a Sierra or Nosler JHP. Definitely not junk, but not a modern bonded defensive bullet.

Corbon has used Sierra for a long time, especially in their "traditional" loadings where fragmentation is viewed as a positive.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I don't recall ever using Buffalo Bore and depending on how this thread goes, probably won't. I'm more than happy with Speer Gold Dots.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Federal made two bullet designs; Hydra Shok, and Hi Shock.
    That is either a Hi Shok bullet, or a damn good copy.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

it does look a lot like a Nosler like Webly says. we might have a winner here.

nosler.jpg
    gatorbait51 and shadowwalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I don't recall ever using Buffalo Bore and depending on how this thread goes, probably won't. I'm more than happy with Speer Gold Dots.
    i tend to shy away from exotic stuff too. BB's poor attitude on this does not help either.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.

it it is a nosler jhp then from what I've read it easily fragments... not good...

the 2nd concern is why no lot number on buffalo bore ammo boxes?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm surprised by this because my Buffalo Bore experiences have all been very positive . I have used their .38 super, .41 Magnum and .45 ACP. No issues at all ,
    Eric357 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links