.45 Colt or .44 Mag?

.45 Colt or .44 Mag?

This is a discussion on .45 Colt or .44 Mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into purchasing a Ruger Blackhawk. I am interested in two calibers, .45 Colt & .44 mag. The reason I want a Blackhawk ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: .45 Colt or .44 Mag?

.45 Colt or .44 Mag?

I am looking into purchasing a Ruger Blackhawk.

I am interested in two calibers, .45 Colt & .44 mag. The reason I want a Blackhawk is because I want the ability to fire some of Underwood's hot loadings.

I have some 158gr Gold Dot's for my Security Six, from Underwood, and those are awesome.

I am looking at the "convertible" Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP model if I decide to go with .45 Colt.

I understand that both rounds are more expensive than the common guys (.357mag, .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP), but I am also considering getting into the reload game some time next year...

So... which one should I go with?

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Tough choice. I like the Blackhawk because they're almost indestructible. The Colt convertible is nice because of the versatility, but the Blackhawk is much stronger.
    I would go for the 44 mag IMO. You'll find reloading about 50% of the cost of factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by pankusogre View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a Ruger Blackhawk.

I am interested in two calibers, .45 Colt & .44 mag. The reason I want a Blackhawk is because I want the ability to fire some of Underwood's hot loadings.

I have some 158gr Gold Dot's for my Security Six, from Underwood, and those are awesome.

I am looking at the convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP model if I decide to go with .45 Colt.

I understand that both rounds are more expensive than the common guys (.357mag, .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP), but I am also considering getting into the reload game some time next year...

So... which one should I go with?

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 and leprechaun50 like this.

You left out my favorite....the .41 Mag.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    You left out my favorite....the .41 Mag.
    I like the ability to fire multiple calibers ala .357 mag/.38spec, .44 mag / .44 spec, the convertible Blackhawk .45 colt/.45 acp...

I always liked the uniqueness of the .41 mag, but practicality (in my mind) always manages to take a hold whenever I make a purchase
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    If you reload I would go with the .45 LC. If you are going to stick with factory ammo I would go with the .44mag which gives you the option of shooting soft shooting .44special. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Well, if you're going to be practical about it, I can see your point.
    But, if you ever want to just throw caution to the wind, the .41 will still be there.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

I have always loved .44 mag. No real reason, I've just always thought it was cool.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

The rounds are almost equal in size, but the .44 is quite a bit more powerful. Personally, I would choose the .44 mag because they a more common (At least around here) plus you can fire .44 special rounds as well.
    flintlock62 and gatorbait51 like this.

I have had a number of Ruger Blackhawks over the years. Currently I have 45lc/45acp and .357mag/9mm convertibles. I sold my 44mag after getting into 45Colt because I found that with hand loading and some of the specialty ammo makers (i.e. Buffalo Bore) the 45Colt could do everything the 44mag did for me.

Either way you decide, you can't go wrong with a Blackhawk IMO.

Oh, with the ammo crunch the last year or so, it was nice to be able to switch to 45acp as it was much easier to find than 45Colt.

If you do a search, there are a number of threads about 45Colt and single action revolvers.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    .44 mag for sure, skip the .45 ACP. only reason i would pick a revolver over an auto is to have big cartridges.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Here's the deal; the 44 mag is good, the cinder walls are thicker, and it is hot and has a good kick.

The 45 Colt is bigger, which makes the cylinder walls a little thinner, can be loaded with a heavier bullet, and has more of a pushing roll than kick.

You can do anything with the 45 Colt that you can with the 44 magnum with less flash, recoil and pressure, by virtue of hydraulics, ie, the bigger case allows for the bigger heavier bullet to travel slower and do the work by virtue of mass and weight.

But if you need to, you can make the 45 more powerful than the 44 mag.

But I do have to second the idea of the 41 magnum. Get rid of the. 357 and get you a 41 mag.
    Hell, the 357 mag doesn't even fit into the numerical line up ; 41,44,45.....357?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I can't be objective about this. Buying a Ruger convertible 45 Colt/45 acp is what got me into handloading, and I've never once regretted either the gun, or getting into handloading. It opened up a completely new arena of shooting for me. I recommend it highly. There is nothing as satisfying as touching off a handloaded 255 grain SWC at about 1,000 fps out of a single action revolver.

Until you start handloading, I think you will find that those stubby 45 acp cartridges are very very accurate out of the Blackhawk. Not to mention, they're not that expensive while you're still buying factory ammo.

Be warned, though. It will only be the beginning.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Here's the deal; the 44 mag is good, the cinder walls are thicker, and it is hot and has a good kick.

The 45 Colt is bigger, which makes the cylinder walls a little thinner, can be loaded with a heavier bullet, and has more of a pushing roll than kick.

You can do anything with the 45 Colt that you can with the 44 magnum with less flash, recoil and pressure, by virtue of hydraulics, ie, the bigger case allows for the bigger heavier bullet to travel slower and do the work by virtue of mass and weight.

But if you need to, you can make the 45 more powerful than the 44 mag.

But I do have to second the idea of the 41 magnum. Get rid of the. 357 and get you a 41 mag.
    Hell, the 357 mag doesn't even fit into the numerical line up ; 41,44,45.....357?

That's just sacrilege there. Get rid of the .357 mag? Sad,sad,sad. But to be honest, I have always wanted to try one of those 41 mags myself .
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    That's just sacrilege there. Get rid of the .357 mag? Sad,sad,sad. But to be honest, I have always wanted to try one of those 41 mags myself .
    Yeah I know. And I was once a die hard 357 mag fan. But in the grand scheme of things, even the 44 spl does more than the 357 without the blast and ear splitting crack. The big bore fours give more of a boom than that ear drum killing crack when in the field. And really, when you need power, any of the. "4s " give you all you need.

The only advantage I can think of is in an Edc piece, but the current crop of auto loaders can now make up the difference there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I have both.

I like them both as both are accurate and fun to shoot.

All things being considered though, if you are going to reload anyway, the .44 is a bit more versatile. I'll explain.

The .45 is a slow mover. As for the mass of it being bigger than the .44 that is technically correct but its not by much. The .45 is .454 and the .44 is .429, so you are only talking .025 of an inch which is only .0125 per side which isn't really much.
    Then, the .45 typically shoots a 255 grain bullet which is only 15 grains more than the .44 which usually uses 240 grain bullets, so you can see that its not a big deal either way.

While its true that the .45 can be loaded much hotter than factory loads, doing so is hard on the gun. The Ruger Blackhawk is a strong gun without a doubt, but a steady diet of hot loads will take its toll on the gun eventually.

Which brings us to the .44. The .44 can be downloaded and be very accurate in doing so. One of my favorite loads is pushing a Keith style semi wadcutter right at 1000 FPS and that's a considered a fairly light load for the .44. With that load I can keep it in a pie plate up to 100 yards without much effort. Even at that, it is still more powerful than a factory .45 (typically around 800 FPS) and the gun wont even know that its being shot.

Also, there is the bullet situation. You'll find that .45 loads aren't really that versatile, however the .44 loads can go from light (180) to heavy (300). That's a pretty good range of bullet.

And last but not least, is the popularity equation. You'll find that the .44's seem to be a lot more available than the .45's are.

As for reloading there isn't much difference, it takes the same amount of effort.

Really, though, you cant go wrong with either one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links