Ammo Question

Ammo Question

This is a discussion on Ammo Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a difference between M885 and XM885 ammo? How dirty are these compared to other ammo?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Ammo Question

Ammo Question

Is there a difference between M885 and XM885 ammo?
    How dirty are these compared to other ammo?

I have read that the XM is military contract ammo that was rejected for use for some reason or another. This is the interweb though, so take it for what it's worth.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    I have read that the XM is military contract ammo that was rejected for use for some reason or another. This is the interweb though, so take it for what it's worth.
    I've read this in several places, too, but I'm not convinced. Several suppliers explicitly state that it is "First run, first quality product" or something similar, and there are several variations of 5.56 ammo that are designated with the "XM" prefix by the Defense Department with no reference to them being rejects or out-of-spec.

I have never seen any documented data (e.g. from Federal, Lake City, or the DoD) that explicitly states the difference between X855 and XM855. I'd be very interested in any SOLID info (i.e. NOT "Internet Lore") that anyone has on the subject.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I know that back in the day in the Military usually an X designation meant "Experimental" It could be some Companies are still using that designation instead of just M855
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I know that back in the day in the Military usually an X designation meant "Experimental" It could be some Companies are still using that designation instead of just M855
    That's what I was thinking. Could be that it's identical to the non-"X" stuff and they're just trying to avoid cost associated with re-confirming that it's the same as the service ammo.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Been doing some more research on the subject of the XM ammo today. As I've already stated, it seems the most common opinion on the XM stuff is that it's Military contract ammo that was rejected. The belief is that the ammo goes in for inspection prior to use. And that if a certain amount is found to be defective or not up to Military requirements during random inspection then the whole Lot is rejected. It's then sent back to the manufacturer and they in turn sell it to the public.

Again this is the internet, nothing is ever completely true and accurate.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Distinguished Member
    Federal / Lake City 5.56 ammo with the "X" is contract production over-run. It's the very same ammo that's sold to the contract owner (.mil), just production in excess of the contract agreement. It's not rejected product, it's not returned product... simply excess.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Sponsored Links