Looking for Hollow Points for my S&W M&P 45C--Any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Looking for Hollow Points for my S&W M&P 45C--Any suggestions? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a S&W M&P 45C and I want to pick up some 230 gr JHP for personal defense. Some friends have suggested ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Looking for Hollow Points for my S&W M&P 45C--Any suggestions?

I recently picked up a S&W M&P 45C and I want to pick up some 230 gr JHP for personal defense. Some friends have suggested Federal HST, Winchester PDX-1, Winchester Ranger, Hornady Critical duty, etc. I guess most of these rounds are the latest versions of the old Black Talons? I was hoping to get some suggestions from people here. Thanks---Sturgis

Any of them would be good. It's all personal preference really. I like Ranger-T, someone else will suggest HST, and another Hornady. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty on the performance of each round that interests you, look them up on YouTube and you'll find any number of tests of each round in question, including the "gel" tests." If you want a reliable channel that has tested just about every type of the ammo you're looking to try, check out tnoutdoors9. His tests are usually very informative.

I'd also suggest buying the ammo you're interested in and seeing how well it runs in your gun. No video is going to tell you that. Though you should have no problems with the M&P running any of the premium ammo out there.
    flintlock62 likes this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Any of the ones you mentioned would work just fine assuming they cycle reliably.
    Kilowatt3 and flintlock62 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a fuzzy feeling for speer gold dots myself but cant find them in 9mm much around here right now. The rest you mentioned all will do fine though.
    OlCop likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If you want the "true" modern version of the Black Talon, that would be the Ranger-T.

However, it doesn't do anything better than the others.

So, pick one, buy a couple of boxes, take it to the range and verify that your pistol feeds them reliably, and that you can shoot them with acceptable accuracy and control in rapid fire...and if you can, stick up and don't worry about it any more.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for the quick replies. I have also heard that I should not use +P ammo in my S&W M&P 45C? I always had +P ammo in my Glock-19 and S&W 640 and 64 revolvers, but that was while I still an active L.E.O. I'm happily retired and I just want to have the most potent ammo to protect myself and my family.---Sturgis

I don't recall hearing that you can't use +p in the M&P's. It may be recommended that you don't use it continuously(ie: hundreds of rounds in succession.) But i don't think a box or so to test the ammo, then loading up a mag for carry would be an issue. Check your gun's instructions and it should tell you, or give S&W a call. Their customer service is usually pretty good about answering any questions.

Internet Gun Expert

Did some looking on other forums. A member of another forum claims to have called S&W and verified that +P ammo is perfectly fine to use but not +P+

So take it for what it's worth and if you still have any doubt call S&W yourself. But honestly, the gun is designed for Military use(NATO round), and that's usually loaded to what would be considered a +P rating IIRC.

Internet Gun Expert

It's a .45.

+P really isn't necessary.
    Ianthin, flintlock62 and OlCop like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I have also heard that I should not use +P ammo in my S&W M&P 45C? I always had +P ammo in my Glock-19 and S&W 640 and 64 revolvers, but that was while I still an active L.E.O. I'm happily retired and I just want to have the most potent ammo to protect myself and my family.---Sturgis
    No need to check online forums, or to contact S&W. Just read your manual.

It'll tell you that +P is OK, but may accelerate wear on your pistol. +P+ should not be used in your M&P, or in any other pistol for that matter.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I was going to mention the wear and tear. I've never shot 9mm, but I reload 44 mag, 357, and 40 S&W. Reduced charges are always more accurate than max loaded ammo. I personally feel accuracy is more important than velocity. I have shot several deer with reduced 44 mags with both my Ruger Super Blackhawk, and my Marlin. I don't think max charges would have killed them any deader.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    No need to check online forums, or to contact S&W. Just read your manual.

It'll tell you that +P is OK, but may accelerate wear on your pistol. +P+ should not be used in your M&P, or in any other pistol for that matter.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I recently picked up a S&W M&P 45C and I want to pick up some 230 gr JHP for personal defense. Some friends have suggested Federal HST, Winchester PDX-1, Winchester Ranger, Hornady Critical duty, etc. I guess most of these rounds are the latest versions of the old Black Talons? I was hoping to get some suggestions from people here. Thanks---Sturgis
    federal premium HST, or speer gold dots.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I carry Winchester PDX1 230 grain in my 1911s and my FNH FNX-45 Tactical. They are at the high end of standard pressure ballistics without going to a +P.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

From the different gel tests I've seen, the Federal HST produced some of the best expansion of the rounds available on the market. Other rounds, such as the the Hornady Critical duty didn't expand as much but provided deeper penetration. It all goes back to what you're looking for in a defensive round. Larger expansion or more penetration. Of course, whatever you choose it needs to cycle reliably as mentioned earlier. On youtube...Tnoutdoors9 does some of the better ballistics testing that I've seen folks do using gel media and denim. I know he's reviewed a number of different .45 rounds in the last couple of years. .45 ACP Federal HST 230 gr Ammo Gel test - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Sorry but I disagree with +P in any gun. That type ammo is a little more costly but a lot more abusive on a gun.

Over the years, I have interviewed many people that have been shot. They never ask what they were shot with, how fast the bullet travelled or anything about the bullet. They do ask what caliber gun was used.

Take a +P or a +P+ and shoot them at a bar of Ivory soap and then do the same with any run of the mill defensive round. The difference is only noticed in the price.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links