Ammo Velocity, edyoukatshun needed ;o)

This is a discussion on Ammo Velocity, edyoukatshun needed ;o) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While in my LGS I was noticing the ammo and the velocity on them so I asked a fellow what the 1300 vs 1500 (aprox) ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Ammo Velocity, edyoukatshun needed ;o)

Distinguished Member

Ammo Velocity, edyoukatshun needed ;o)

While in my LGS I was noticing the ammo and the velocity on them so I asked a fellow what the 1300 vs 1500 (aprox) meant and he told me that the higher the number the faster the bullet travels. I then asked why do you need this and he didn't really know since he was rather new to the ammo too (young fellow).

In my mind, it will only make it more confusing because with each different velocity you have to navigate how fast it will drop and once you get use to one then you have to figure out another one.

Then on another box there was a word I can't think of this morning but it had to do with making the bullets go faster too. I might have to go back and write it down.

Anyway, what is up with the velocity differences and why are there so many - can someone explain this and make the answer blonde friendly?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Kinetic energy = .5 * mass * velocity * velocity, so the energy imparted by the bullet is (EDIT)quadratically(/EDIT) proportional to the velocity. That means that changes in velocity have a greater impact on delivered energy than bullet weight. I'm less of an expert on the application, but you want to weigh range, penetration, drop, recoil, and desired impact energy when selecting ammo. It really just depends on the application.

(Note, I was corrected, it's quadratic not exponential)
    Last edited by brocktice; November 29th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Was the other word power factor?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Was the other word power factor?
    No, seemed it started with a "V" or "F", I just can't remember. Brocktice, I don't really understand completely your answer - it's not you, and I'm trying but it needs to be dumbed down a bit more. Are you talking about how fast the bullet is traveling when it hits something and that goes into how big a hole it makes?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here's blonde friendly for you--

Your two brothers are standing there with marbles in their hands. One tosses his marble and bounces it off your noggin. The other throws his marble as hard as he can and smacks your head. Both hit you with the same size/weight marble. Which do you think will hurt most and do the most damage?

Bullets work pretty much the same way. Same weight, more velocity=more power.
    niks, Sister, gatorbait51 and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Here's blonde friendly for you--

Your two brothers are standing there with marbles in their hands. One tosses his marble and bounces it off your noggin. The other throws his marble as hard as he can and smacks your head. Both hit you with the same size/weight marble. Which do you think will hurt most and do the most damage?

Bullets work pretty much the same way. Same weight, more velocity=more power.

You redheads are always coming to my rescue, lol! I understand that! (sorry brocktice, OldVet knows he's talking to a 5yo mind sometimes)

So, if brothers are tossing the marbles the same way and I'm backing up further away than before when they hit me, brother #2 has a greater chance of hitting me because his marble is going faster?! Do I have it correct???

(wait a minute, how can they weight the same? If they travel at a different speed then doesn't that mean they got different amount of powder in them therefore they will weight different?)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

If the bullet is the same weight but fires twice as fast it will hit with 4 times the energy.
    Sister and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    No, seemed it started with a "V" or "F", I just can't remember. Brocktice, I don't really understand completely your answer - it's not you, and I'm trying but it needs to be dumbed down a bit more. Are you talking about how fast the bullet is traveling when it hits something and that goes into how big a hole it makes?
    What about muzzle energy?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    The powder is in the arm, not the bullet.
    "it puts the lotion on the skin".....

Sorry niks, you lost me on that, lol.

(nope brocktice that wasn't the word either, no biggie, the guy at the store did say that it made it faster but maybe I'm biting off more that I can chew right now. I need to understand the velocity/faster/slower thing first.)

~ Jesus ~

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    If a 124 grain bullet is traveling at 1,300 feet per second, it has an energy ratio of 465 foot pounds per square inch. If that same bullet is traveling at 1,500 feet per second, the energy is now 619 foot pounds. Think of a car hitting a brick wall at 30 mph, and a car going 60 mph. The car hitting the wall at the higher speed will do the most damage.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Brother 2 can hit you farther away, but he still has to compensate for distance and wind. And the farther you run, the less painful the marble will be because it's slowing down.

In handgun matters for SD, wind drift and bullet drop will be insignificant, so hit them as hard as you can. With bullet weight, while you gain velocity with lighter bullets, you give up the penetration of the heavier bullets. Of course there are so many variables that enter into the final equations that what's most important is to hit your brother where it hurts most with either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    If the bullet is the same weight but fires twice as fast it will hit with 4 times the energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock
    : If a 124 grain bullet is traveling at 1,300 feet per second, it has an energy ratio of 465 foot pounds per square inch. If that same bullet is traveling at 1,500 feet per second, the energy is now 619 foot pounds. Think of a car hitting a brick wall at 30 mph, and a car going 60 mph. The car hitting the wall at the higher speed will do the most damage

I got it!

Thank you so much, all of you!

Now I'm p/o'ed because just got off the phone with shooting range, guy said it is packed....dang it! I need help with this new gun but if it is packed then to me that could be dangerous (re: many newbies with guns). Reckon it will be a good day to clean them and I'll go next week.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

"it puts the lotion on the skin".....

Sorry niks, you lost me on that, lol.

.)
    Sorry Sister, Talking before thinking.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If you got the speech about how the faster the bullet goes, the bigger the pressure wave it generates inside tissue and therefore it makes a bigger hole, this is something called hydrostatic shock and you can ignore it for handgun rounds. They simply do not travel fast enough *through tissue* for this to come into play. It matters for rifle rounds. This may be a bit of an over generalization, but as a rule of thumb it's pretty good. There was a lot of speculation in the early 90s about hydrostatic shock that led to a 'speed is everything' light bullet craze but that's been debunked very thoroughly.

For handguns, think of speed as just additional energy that the bullet can use for penetration and expansion. It's good, but it's not everything and once you've gotten sufficient penetration and expansion any additional speed is wasted for SD (and comes at the expense of additional recoil and/or muzzle flash).
    gatorbait51 and Nmuskier like this.

Distinguished Member
    Re reading now I got another question about this. Why don't they just make all the bullets the same velocity? I mean, if your shooting at something don't you want it to hit it hard? Why have it hit something just a little bit?

Like OldVet's example, brother #1 is rather limp wristed and he can't hit me as hard, why even bother tossing the marble?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links