Home built "Energy Test"

This is a discussion on Home built "Energy Test" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has a “do it yourself” home test to measure energy, I’m not expecting to measure precise ft/lbs, but a way ...

Thread: Home built "Energy test"

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Home built "Energy test"

I was wondering if anyone has a “do it yourself” home test to measure energy, I’m not expecting to measure precise ft/lbs, but a way to compare one load to another, at home.

I know you can compute estimated energy using a chronograph to get speed, and factor against Bullet weight, I will probably do that too. But like wet pack or milk jugs to test expansion, and depth, but what about plain old “Impact Energy”

What I was thinking about, is one of two, a heavy steel plate, on a pivot, with the face at about 20 degrees, and a slide behind it to show how far it swung up when struck, or a small wagon on a rail, at about a 20 degree incline, also with a slide to measure how far the wagon travels up the rail. Probably build the front with slots for about 4 2X somethings for the bullets to impact into. Changing the material would also give a comparison of impact of say hollowpoints when they do or don't hit a material that allows them to expand.

The Impact test would just be part of the evaluation with wet pack and or Milk jug test and overall speed to see where a particular bullet or load is stronger than another.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    You are describing the ''ballistic pendulum'' in essence.

I forget the finer points of design on the commercial ones but am wondering about the angled plate - of course if same angle all time then results should be still comparitive and it reduces chances of rear travelling bullet splash.

I am sure there'll be a pic ''out there'' somewhere of a commercial unit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    You are describing the ''ballistic pendulum'' in essence.

I forget the finer points of design on the commercial ones but am wondering about the angled plate - of course if same angle all time then results should be still comparitive and it reduces chances of rear travelling bullet splash.

I am sure there'll be a pic ''out there'' somewhere of a commercial unit.
    Wow, Google "Ballistic pendulum" and you get some places to look, Sounds like it is something worth looking into a little further.

Thanks Chris,

The angle on the plate I guess was a safety thing, even thought the plate would move and rounds less likely to come back atcha, it would still make me feel better to have it angle the rounds down a bit, just in case.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links