How many have considered switching calibers?

This is a discussion on How many have considered switching calibers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the ammo shortage still going on, in my area, you cannot get 9mm at Walmart. However the 40 and 45 are still in stock ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: How many have considered switching calibers?

How many have considered switching calibers?

With the ammo shortage still going on, in my area, you cannot get 9mm at Walmart. However the 40 and 45 are still in stock there. While in there today, I always check on 9mm because it's the one caliber I don't load for, and like always they were out.

But the shelves were stocked with value packs of 40 and 45.

Of course you can find it at the lgs, but you pay an inflated price.

Is anyone considering a change of calibers because of this ?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I considered getting a .40 because my wal-mart has only had 40S&W consistently through the shortage, not counting rifle ammo. I've found enough 9mm (not 45, unlike you, sadly) to keep me going for a while.

I just ordered my first batch of (new, not reman) ammo from Freedom Munitions, so we'll see how that goes. They had plenty of 9mm as of a few days ago.

I lucked out yesterday. I stopped in Wal-Mart for dog treats and like I always do while there, I checked their ammo shelves and they had exactly three 250 round boxes of 9mm sitting there so I snatched them all up. Besides that, there was an abundance of .38special, .357mag, and .40 far as pistol rounds go.

I carry .357SIG the majority of the time, but I've started carrying my 1911 (.45) more and more lately. Oddly enough, I've been contemplating switching over to 9mm for carry. Up until about 6-8 months ago, I had pretty much no interest in 9mm at all. All that changed when I picked up a SCCY CPX-2 and put a bunch of 9mm down range. Being so used to shooting .357SIG and .45, the 9mm was like shooting a .22 and I shot it with the same accuracy as I do my .22 (damn near perfect)... which caused me to entertain the thought of beginning to carry it. I haven't made the switch yet, but I just might...
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Many LE agencies in Middle TN use 40 S&W. So its just not been available here, while everywhere else, per everyones posts has had it in stock.

I did the opposite during this crunch; I sold off both my 40 cals. They were pet rocks, Im set up to reload 9mm, and I just didnt see keeping them. Both fine pistols, but I dont miss them in the least.

.45 acp has ....within the last few months been easy to find at walmart. I still cant get over the price difference in that, and 9mm.

Btw, pre sandy hook, I bought in bulk, online. What walmart had, or didnt have, (other than .22 Lr), didnt matter to me. Of course thats all changed this year.

im switching to 40 this christmas but not necessarily because of the shortage. With that being said, 40 is easier to find by me than 9mm
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

I hear ya, StormRhyder. The cost of 9mm is nice compared to my main calibers. Thankfully, I've always bought ammo in bulk when I had spare cash, not when I ran low, so I didn't have to concern myself with what WM or the 'net did or didn't have during this crunch. It's hard to ignore how much more shooting I could do while still maintaining a stash if I were to switch over to 9mm. I'd say money saved, but the money saved would just go to more rounds/another 9mm gun.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Went to .40 because my EDC is a single stack. My .45 is too (1911). When I carry a 9mm, I want lots of 'em (the CZ to the left). Oh, and a .38 BUG. I think I have the least amount of range ammo in .40.

Haven't bought ammo in over a year. I'll be o.k. for a while longer, but its nice to know there are options.
    Variety is the spice of life, I guess.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"Variety is the spice of life, I guess".

Sure is and shooting the same calibers all the time gets boring (for me). That's why I have so many guns chambered in a variety of calibers. Options are a beautiful thing, aren't they?

Nope. My last WM buy was actually a couple of Win 100-round 'value packs' which 'patterned' rather than grouped out of my CW9. Went in looking for .22, 9 and 40 was what was there one morning. So I'm shooting the CZ in the steel matches for a couple of weeks as a result, to build competence with that gun.

I'm either smart or lucky (I'd bet on lucky), I've got enough .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 on hand in components or cartridges to see me through another year of the drought. Rimfire ammo is the iffy proposition.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I have not. I've cut back on my shooting, and the shooting I have been doing is much less recreational than before the crunch. Almost no "bullseye" shooting with 9mm or .38. Counting all calibers, I'm shooting only about 20% of what I was shooting last year.

I did add a .45, but not because of ammo availability.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I saw quite a bit of .40S&W and .30-06 in my area all throughout the shortage, forget about .22LR, 9mm and .308Win. Even .38spl and .357mag were not easy to find.

One thing that taught me is I need to get at least one pistol/rifle in these or other calibers, and not necessarily listen to those who kept telling me to only buy guns chambered in the most common and mass-produced ones available, which during a crisis proved to be not very common at all!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have, on hand, one box of Golden Sabers in .357 mag and thats what I carry. It's even hard for me to find .38 specials to practice with let alone any more .357, it's just not around. But in the next few months I am going to get either a 1911 or a ruger sr9c, I'm just haven't been able to decide which yet. I'd rather shoot a .45, but i can get the 9mm sooner and it seems to more avaliable and cheaper where i live
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I do have a good stash, with all the reloading I have done, I have a lot of .22, but afraid to use them. I never know if I will ever get to resupply.
    And as for short supply try getting you hands on powders, that's where the supply is short.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I remember something my brother related to me from his Army days. He had an instructor who believed that, if WWIII were to occur, the Soviet Union would probably defeat the United States, because once all the manufacturing centers on both sides had been nuked, the supply lines cut and the surviving soldiers fighting it out in trenches in Europe, an AK-47 makes a much better club than an M16. I remember because this made me realize how dependent firearms are on sophisticated economic systems to keep them fed.

Now in the civilian and LEO market, it takes a lot less than nuclear war to disrupt the supply of ammunition, as we all know by now - a recession, a few big government orders, and poof, the shelves are empty. Reloading doesn't solve the problem, either. Brass, bullets, gunpowder, primers, even plain lead also follow the laws of supply and demand; a lack of factory ammo will lead to a lack of reloading materials, eventually, and again this has been proven very recently.

I guess the point of my rambling is that we should be prepared to scrounge, and there's benefit in being able to utilize whatever ammo is to be had at any particular time. I don't know about switching away from one to another, but maybe having the parts for a Glock caliber swap as needed isn't a bad idea.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Can't find any caliber at the Wally Worlds around here, and sadly I live less than 3 minutes from one. Their shelves are ALWAYS empty of everything except 30-30. There's a box store somewhat close, but all they usually have is cheap Blazer with aluminum cases for $24 and I won't shoot that stuff as I've had issues with it in the past. I've been making all my large ammo purchases online, with the occasional purchase of ammo at the range just to support their business.

40 is my preferred caliber. Going to need to start investing in 9mm though. Been teaching wifey to shoot with a .22, and plan on getting the conversion barrel for my M&P and a couple mags and starting her on 9mm soon.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links