Best caliber for defense?

This is a discussion on Best caliber for defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings: I am a former Marine who owns a Sig 229 with both a 357sig & 40 S&W barrels. This sig 229 is part of ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By Cuda66
  • 3 Post By JD

Thread: Best caliber for defense?

Greetings: I am a former Marine who owns a Sig 229 with both a 357sig & 40 S&W barrels. This sig 229 is part of my home defense. My question is what (357sig or 40S&W) with
    good shot placement will have the better chance of incapacitating a home invader who is threating to use lethal force?
    Thank-you for your time.
    Semper Fi

Yes.
    srings and Bad Bob like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Greetings: I am a former Marine who owns a Sig 229 with both a 357sig & 40 S&W barrels. This sig 229 is part of my home defense. My question is what (357sig or 40S&W) with good shot placement will have the better chance of incapacitating a home invader who is threating to use lethal force?
    The one you're most capable of striking vital organs with, I'd say. That'll depend on the ammo/caliber selection, to a degree, but it'll depend far more on your accuracy, keeping your "head" under fire, etc. For my money, I'd suggest selecting ammo that offers up some independent figures on penetration, expansion. Lacking that, do some basic range testing of your own on some meat (whole hams, sides of beef, whatever).

Anything from a hot and effective 9mm on up ought to do just fine, presuming you strike vitals accurately, multiply and quickly. But between your two choices, I'd be happier with the .357SIG, but that's just my own preference. Myself, I like the improved feed reliability and the penetration/expansion stats from tests. Can't imagine either would fail you, .357SIG or .40S&W, particularly in a full-sized gun.

Some test info: BallisticsByTheInch.com.

Article at GunBlast, on the .357SIG with reference to use in a SIG P229: click.
    bigpapa likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

.357Sig. There, end of discussion.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I think you would be hard pressed to see an actual, measurable difference.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Thank you for your service sneaky, but my money will be the .357 although any hot hp ammo will kill you dead. On all of the rounds their have being people who live from the .44 to .380 but the odd is greater with the larger calibers, someone said that shot placement is important and I agree totally. A friend in my church told me that he got shot three time with a .45 and live of course but if you can focus the chest area you will have a winner. So any one but I think that it's a preference but just have some good HP which almost any will work, you can get dead with a .40 also.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

VIP Member
    I'm going with my answer of both/and. If I have to get off the fense, I'll say they one you shoot more accurately followed by the firearm with greater capacity.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Both calibers have their ups and downs. The .357 Sig is a smaller slug that shoots faster and flatter which would penetrate better, the .40 S&W is slower with a larger slug that would probably do more damage from close range. I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either, it's probably more about personal preference than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    Both calibers have their ups and downs. The .357 Sig is a smaller slug that shoots faster and flatter which would penetrate better, the .40 S&W is slower with a larger slug that would probably do more damage from close range. I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either, it's probably more about personal preference than anything.
    Actually, the warpspeed 125gr .357 sig will typically penetrate less than a 180gr .40.

OP--which one can you put consistently put hits on target faster, and with greater accuracy?

Choose that one.
    glockman10mm and Aceoky like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Local police are all changing to .40. There's got to be a reason for it. They also told me they are loading their mags by alternating one hollow point then one full metal and another hollow and so on. This way they are ready for different scenarios.

JD
    Administrator
    Looking at your started thread history there is really no need to go down this road again....like ever again.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wysh View Post
    Local police are all changing to .40. There's got to be a reason for it. They also told me they are loading their mags by alternating one hollow point then one full metal and another hollow and so on. This way they are ready for different scenarios.
    Also..."cocktail" magazines are stupid and I have never heard of any "legitimate knows what they're doing officer" doing this. FMJ sucks for defensive purposes and JHPs in .40 and .45 do pretty good on soft skinned vehicles and auto glass.

So...to the masses. Stick with a 9mm, .40, .45, .357Sig...or whatever other flavor of the week duty caliber you prefer and select a good (read non exotic) JHP and call it a day.

SPEER Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger and Federal HST are all good choices and pretty safe bets.

And....

Out.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Sponsored Links