Pistols that won't fire 115 grain 9mm bullets

This is a discussion on Pistols that won't fire 115 grain 9mm bullets within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From a previous thread: quite frankly if a 9mm can't shoot 115 grain range ammo reliably it isn't worth crap as it destroys my confidence ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pistols that won't fire 115 grain 9mm bullets

Pistols that won't fire 115 grain 9mm bullets

From a previous thread:
    quite frankly if a 9mm can't shoot 115 grain range ammo reliably it isn't worth crap as it destroys my confidence in the gun. My two Ruger 9mm's never fail to fire my 115 grain range ammo. So, if the G19 I bought wasn't a lemon, it was just plain crap.
    GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

What pistols say in their manual that 115 grain bullets may not fire reliably?
    What 115gr ammo have you found to be less reliable?

Good article for discussion: http://www.shootingtimes.com/2013/04...the-9mm-luger/

2. Remove Ads

My post-fix G19 and G26 have never had a problem firing 115gr range ammo, put together they're at around 2000 rounds with a single stovepipe (limp wristed) as the only malfunction.

VIP Member
    If memory serves, Kimber recommends heavier weights in the Solo.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I've heard that the Kimber Solo had a specified bullet weight in its manual? Can someone validate this?

I've yet to find a 9mm round that my guns couldn't handle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    From a previous thread:

GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

What pistols say in their manual that 115 grain bullets may not fire reliably?
    What 115gr ammo have you found to be less reliable?
    It has nothing to do with bullet weight. The issue was recoil spring stiffness in the new Gen 4 double captive spring and weakly loaded ammo. Hickock45 did a video on this and found that , I believe , Remington was the problem by making weaker than normal range ammo

All other brands worked. Glocks have always worked best with hotter ammo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yes, you're right. I know that it's really the ammo and the heavier re-coil springs. I'm just wondering what manufacturers state in their manuals that they don't guarantee 155gr ammo and what ammo users have found to be not-100%-reliable.

Here's my concern: the Bersa BP9cc manual says that the warranty is void if re-loaded or re-manufactured ammo is used. We had an ammo scarcity. I can see where ammo manufacturers could cut corners / try to max profits by loading lighter, possibly affecting reliability.

Yes, you're right. I know that it's really the ammo and the heavier re-coil springs. I'm just wondering what manufacturers state in their manuals that they don't guarantee 155gr ammo and what ammo users have found to be not-100%-reliable.

Here's my concern: the Bersa BP9cc manual says that the warranty is void if re-loaded or re-manufactured ammo is used. We had an ammo scarcity. I can see where ammo manufacturers could cut corners / try to max profits by loading lighter, possibly affecting reliability.
    The BP9CC is a strange animal. The warranty voids if you use reloads, and more bizarrely the manual recommends that the pistol be carried with an empty chamber (probably because of how light the factory trigger is). A SD pistol!

The empty chamber recommendation has been enough to keep me from buying one, as much as I want a Glock-like single stack 9mm. There's simply no way I'm carrying with an empty chamber, and the last thing I want is to have to explain to a jury one day why I disregarded the manufacturer's safety warnings.

They all say that. If you saved $500 and blew up a $400 gun while blowing thru several thousand rounds of cheap accurate ammo, you still win.
    Aceoky, 40Bob and gasmitty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Remington ammo especially the 115 grain HP round are shorter in OAL than say Federal and Winchester. This causes the Remington 115 Gr. ammo to to Stove-Pipe in some guns and do other crazy things. I would just plain stay away from this ammo period.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Speaking from an engineering standpoint, I can see how it would be hard to design dual springs that would function with low-power 115 grain range ammo, and still provide enough resistance to keep 147 grain +P+ screamers from battering the gun to junk. That's a pretty wide range of loading. Glock seems to have pulled it off, from what I read (even if it did take two tries).
    phreddy likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    kahrs can be picky with 115gr ammo when new. After a 100 or 200 rounds have been fired even the junk 115gr may run fine. Hotter 115gr cc ammo tend to be good when new.

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    The BP9CC is a strange animal. The warranty voids if you use reloads, and more bizarrely the manual recommends that the pistol be carried with an empty chamber (probably because of how light the factory trigger is). A SD pistol!

The empty chamber recommendation has been enough to keep me from buying one, as much as I want a Glock-like single stack 9mm. There's simply no way I'm carrying with an empty chamber, and the last thing I want is to have to explain to a jury one day why I disregarded the manufacturer's safety warnings.
    as long as you carry the Bersa BP in a quality holster with the trigger covered, you should have no problem. The trigger on the BP is very light and is not a gun for newbies. There is also no trigger safety like a
    a Glock, and it would not be too hard to snag the trigger on something and have a boo-boo if you just carry it without a holster.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Just say "no" to IWA carry with this one

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    That is not unusual. Nearly all gun makers state no reloads or cast, and even my Glock manual says keep un-chambered and that reloads void the warrenty.
    blitzburgh and miller_man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've heard that the Kimber Solo had a specified bullet weight in its manual? Can someone validate this?

I've yet to find a 9mm round that my guns couldn't handle.
    It's amazing that a person can spend the 700 or 800 dollars for a gun and they don't like to use the most standard 9mm weight. If a gun won't shoot any weight of bullet in its caliber is not a gun I'd trust my life with if the stuff hit the fan in this country.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links