Hey ladies-which 9mm

Hey ladies-which 9mm

This is a discussion on Hey ladies-which 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought the wife a Gen 4 26 that she had been wanting. I shoot 40's, a mix of Winchester, Speer and Double Tap. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hey ladies-which 9mm

Hey ladies-which 9mm

Just bought the wife a Gen 4 26 that she had been wanting.
    I shoot 40's, a mix of Winchester, Speer and Double Tap.
    Any suggestions for low recoil 9mm defense ammo?
    I bought two boxes of Winchester PDX1 for her in 124 grains. They also had a bunch of Hornady Critical Defense, a bunch of it. How well does this perform? I carried a box in my 40 but traded up to Double Tap Barnes.
    Too many options!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I am definitely no expert when it comes to ammo, but I don't think any decent SD ammo is "low recoil".

My personal experience of over 10 years has been that (MY) Glocks do not like low recoil ammo. When I say "do not like" I'm talking about a lot of slide lock problems, some stovepiping, etc. Get your wife a pair of PAST brand shooting gloves. That will help her more than trying to find ammo that might not work properly.

For range shooting, which you need to do tons of to be proficient with your gun, I have mostly used S&B 115 gr. My Glocks (including the 26) all love it. I think it may be just a bit "hotter" than some other brands, but that makes it even better for practice so the recoil from SD ammo doesn't feel too bad.

The other option is to buy a larger gun which will reduce the felt recoil. I have a 34 that I use for shooting with our pistol group at our local club. It's a dream! Of course, it would take an awfully large woman to be able to CC a 34..........
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    A 1911 in 9 mm.. Big and heavy, yes, but shoots like a .22
    denclaste and WHEC724 like this.

RT
    FWIW, Critical Defense in 9mm performed pretty well in gel tests done by tnoutdoors9. I ran some through my PM9 for testing, as it was the only reasonably priced SD ammo around here on a regular basis for a while, and I was pretty impressed. Recoil was minimal for such a small gun, seemingly less than that of the WWB fmj I used for the same range session. Also, it was just as accurate as any other ammo I have tried with that pistol. I usually run 147gr HSTs in my carry guns, but I would have no issue with carrying Critical Defense in a pinch based on what I have seen both personally and on the web. Only way to find out for her though is to have her try it and see what she thinks.

I think she's got a leg up recoil-wise simply because she has a G26. It is a great pistol for handling recoil. I would look at normal Self-defense ammo and let her try that first. I think she will find the G26 to be very comfortable to shoot.

You can run any self-defense amm thorugh a G26, but I would take a look at Speer Gold Dots 124 gr. for short barrels. I've run that same load in a +P through my G26 and they shot just as easily for me as a standard load. The +P version is what I carry.
    Brent95 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I think she's got a leg up recoil-wise simply because she has a G26. It is a great pistol for handling recoil. I would look at normal Self-defense ammo and let her try that first. I think she will find the G26 to be very comfortable to shoot.

You can run any self-defense amm thorugh a G26, but I would take a look at Speer Gold Dots 124 gr. for short barrels. I've run that same load in a +P through my G26 and they shot just as easily for me as a standard load. The +P version is what I carry.
    This. The G26 is a very soft shooter for a its size, it's got nothing in common in that respect with the smaller category of subcompacts. As for ammo, you don't really *need* the short barrel version of Gold Dots. With a 3.6" barrel, the regular kind should work just as well according to Speer (the short barrel loads really shine for 3" and under, 3" to 4" being a transition zone), and the short barrel rounds can be pretty hard to find.

I personally carry regular 124gr +P gold dots on my G26, and don't really notice much if any difference in felt recoil or muzzle rise between them and my range ammo.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I don't know if low-recoil 9mm self defense ammo exists. Also not sure I'd use it if it did because I wouldn't trust its cycling.

But I know there's plenty of standard pressure (non +P) defense ammo out there that shoots softer than their +P counterparts. I often have some standard pressure remington gold saber in my SIG and Beretta. And I think there's speer gold dot standard pressure too.

It's an advantage in more ways than one...stuff shoots just like cheap practice ammo does. It takes the "practice with what you carry" idea and makes it economical.

I have some 124 gr and some winchester 147 grain i use in my 9..Honestly,i don't find the 9 mil to have much recoil. I shot a friend of mines gl23 and i can't tell much of a difference between it and my gl19,so far as recoil goes.

I was beside a girl one day at a range.We talked a little in between shooting. She had the gl26.I asked her what kind of pp did she use in hers.She told me she used the 147 gr remington golden saber.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Glocks run best with stout loads. As you go towards a weaker load, you increase your odds of failure.

As others have stated, the G26 still handles recoil quite well. If she's not able to handle it, she may need a heavier frame like Gaitorbait suggested, or a lighter caliber gun such as .380 (which is analogous to a '9mm short').

Thanks folks! She can handle my 27, so I'm sure she'll have no problems with her new 9mm. I've acquired about 200 rounds of 9mm for her to break the gun in. Luckily the store has a lot in stock.
    I think a G19 is next on the list or another 23C. Both??? Probably! Glocks are definitely a collectors gun in that there are so many variations of the great platform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    bigpapa likes this.

If she likes it as much as I like my 26, and if that is going to be her carry gun, consider getting her a 17 or a 34 for range use. Why? The 19 is a fantastic gun, for sure, but still in the "carry gun" size range. However, when I had a 19 I could shoot accurately at 50 yards with it so I guess it's a matter of personal preference - like most things.

Personally I really like having a nice mean looking gun with a long barrel when I go to shoot with the guys.........
    bigpapa likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    federal hydrashock is available in a low recoil loading, i think it uses a relatively light bullet. i have no experience with it, i prefer full powered loadings.

you may want to try the short barrel gold dot from Speer, excess muzzle blast is known needlessly increase flash and recoil in short barrel guns.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Congrats on your wife new ccw, I rented the G26 and love it, I went with the G19.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I use HST 147 standard loads in my SR9c and find it very manageable for me. Hope that helps.
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links