Mix FMJ & JHP - Page 2

Mix FMJ & JHP

This is a discussion on Mix FMJ & JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; average torso is about 9" thick, 4-6" is open air space add clothing and you need to penatrate 3-4" if your HP can't do that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mix FMJ & JHP

average torso is about 9" thick, 4-6" is open air space add clothing and you need to penatrate 3-4" if your HP can't do that get a different one.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not trying to be a WA.........BUT.........why would you ???

'Less you got some API or HEAT(or P) rds maybe.

Don't over complicate it. Find what works and stick with it. ------

I carry 3 mags total with my 1911. The one in the pistol is full of HP's as well as the first back-up mag. The last mag is full of hardball. I don't mix and match, but I like the idea of having it in case I need it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I knew a guy many years ago who had worked for the fed. govt. that staggered his HPs and FMJs. He swore by it having needed his weapon in a tight spot several times. I suspect in those days though with the HPs being much less effective there might have been a reason too. Modern defensive ammo is pretty impressive compared to what was around just 20 years ago. Don't see much need for it now.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    I see no need for FMJ unless I am trying to penetrate metal heavy doors ,ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If' A 'PROBLEM' Should Arise...

Quote Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
    Are there any threads or opinions on mixing FMJ & JHP (I carry 13+1 Hydrashock in my XD 45 right now). I'm guessing the preferred shoot is a low shoot count to stop the bg in their tracks, so I'm wondering whether a mix of penetration and expansion/bleedout would be better than carrying straight JHP. My only concern would be different recoil signatures but if you practice like that, I can't imagine it being that bad. ?
    You are NOT going to have that much time to worry about Full or Hollow?
    You'll probably be trying to figure out...did I pee my pants or poop them?

If you're planning on having a lot of time...carry a couple extra mags of each...label the mags 'winter clothing', 'summer clothing'...

Good luck...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife says that it's not the penetration that counts... it's the expansion...

I've considered staggering rounds in my .380, because it is on the edge where even a good JHP that expands might not penetrate enough. 9 and up get premium JHP. Below .380...well, I'd carry FMJ, but only until I could find a more effective gun.

I don't think I would worry about it. What little real world evidence we have shows it does expand some and that penetration is not the were all be all of stopping ability.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppi...=10&Weight=All

Thats a decent run down of the expansion and stoppage. As valid as any other "study" I suppose. Does not really result in showing penetration equals effectiveness nor does it show that .380 does not expand in "the real thing". And least anyone want to argue about denim and clothing... one would assume not all the Bad guys shot in that study were naked for the JHP? I certainly doubt that will be argued eh? I am sure that a similar percentage were fully if not heavily clothed...

The only reason I see to mix is if your gun won’t feed a round 150% then chamber that round. Use the best feeding rounds for the mag’s.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I carry just HP in my revolver, but have been thinking about switching to FMJ's in my .380. The reason is for deeper penatration in winter, but if the HP fills with clothing and doesn't expand it should penatrate right?
    Federal Hydrashok, its made with a post in the hollow to prevent the round from being clogged with clothing. and such.

None of the arguments for mixing rounds are valid. Use the same ammo all the time.

Modern ammo from the reputable companies are all sufficent. Just find a round with the characteristics you prefer and stick with it.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I see no need for FMJ unless I am trying to penetrate metal heavy doors ,ect.
    What about a couch?

In my mousegung (.32acp Walther PPK) I routinely carry a hollowpoint up the snout with a mag of ball ammo. In my 9mm Kahr or HP I always carry hollowpoint. With my Colt pistole, I carry whatever is in my ammo locker. Although I do seem to favor Remington GS, I usually have some high end bullet loaded. Whatever feeds reliably. I have never felt "undergunned" with ball ammo in the .45

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    IMHO , mixing loads in a Carry weapon is not sound practice.
    Too many variables / possibilities for malfunction.

Your Defensive weapon should be as near 100% reliable as you
    can ensure. The ammo should be chosen for reliability in feeding
    and THEN for effectiveness. ( hopefully you will achieve both )

I hedge my bets and prefer .45 cal with the heaviest and roundest
    expanding bullet that feeds reliably
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I carry straight Hydra-Shoks, primarily because I have faith in that round over the broadest spectrum of encounters, but also because it is the only duty round my agency authorizes in handguns. I will, however, submit this scenario:

I was working protection in Iraq, and some of the contractors who work for my agency would stagger 124gr Hydra-Shok with 124gr GI Ball (the two 9mm options we had). Their reasoning was that almost all of our contacts were car-to-car, dismount-to-car, or in some other way involved some sort of light cover. In this case, the JHP and FMJ rounds have nearly identical "feel" and POA/POI characteristics out of their duty duns (Glock 19s), so I didn't see a major downside to their practice. Of course I realize that high-threat dignitary protection in Baghdad is much different from a standard civilian CCW encounter, but I thought it worth mentioning.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links