Mix FMJ & JHP

This is a discussion on Mix FMJ & JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there any threads or opinions on mixing FMJ & JHP (I carry 13+1 Hydrashock in my XD 45 right now). I'm guessing the preferred ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mix FMJ & JHP

Mix FMJ & JHP

Are there any threads or opinions on mixing FMJ & JHP (I carry 13+1 Hydrashock in my XD 45 right now). I'm guessing the preferred shoot is a low shoot count to stop the bg in their tracks, so I'm wondering whether a mix of penetration and expansion/bleedout would be better than carrying straight JHP. My only concern would be different recoil signatures but if you practice like that, I can't imagine it being that bad. ?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I think you will find most people carry straight hollow points, I personally would not mix.

Another aspect is legal ramifications after the fact, anything (customized) may cast doubt on your intentions, and may give cause to look deeper at you.

The consensus here seems to ride with, carry the same or similar to your local LEO's.

FWIW , JMO
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

yeah, some people call it a "candy cane" when you mix a mag like that...benefits don't outweigh the costs for me personally. If you are concerned about both the ability to penetrate and expansion, how about going with a bonded bullet design like the Gold Dots or, if you like Federal, their Tactical Bonded series of HPs....most of the "premium" self defense rounds these days will still perform fairly well after passing through a light barrier like auto glass.

Senior Moderator
    I carry just HP in my revolver, but have been thinking about switching to FMJ's in my .380. The reason is for deeper penatration in winter, but if the HP fills with clothing and doesn't expand it should penatrate right?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    but if the HP fills with clothing and doesn't expand it should penatrate right?

An HP that does not expand is basicly a FMJ. I find JHP buried in the wood back stop when I practice that filled with wood, and failed to expand, they went in as far as the FMJ's did.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I carry just HP in my revolver, but have been thinking about switching to FMJ's in my .380. The reason is for deeper penatration in winter, but if the HP fills with clothing and doesn't expand it should penatrate right?
    yeah, filling a JHP with clothing effectively turns it into a FMJ round. I thought this was just an urban legend until I saw at the Box 'O Truth.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot8.htm

Personally, I see no need to carry FMJ ammo in a self-defense situation. If it's warm and the BG is in a T-shirt, the JHP's will perform better. If it's super cold, and the BG is wearing 6 layers of jean material, JHP's and FMJ's will perform the same. If the BG is wearing body armor, you're probably boned anyway without a rifle, and FMJ rounds won't do any better than JHP's.

imo, leave the FMJ ammo for the range or after you shoot so many zombies that you run out of JHP's.

I don't see any benefit of mixing HPs and fmj in the same mag. I would rather all my ammo be consistant and shoot exactly the same. Stoping an attack quickly means putting bullets where they need to go. Loading a mag with differnt styles of ammo and hoping they all shoot to the same point of aim just adds an unnecessary variable to the mix. Plenty of good hollow points to choose from these days that expand reliably and penetrate.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Thanks guys that's what I was thinking. Now its Goldots in the revolver and Hydroshocks in the .380

good discussion, and thanks for the candy cane tip

A collegue of mine with a "colorful" military history has a different thought on this. His philosophy is if the BG is in his house, he is not getting out of there alive. He carries JHP for the first 6 rounds then FMJ thereafter in his home load. I believe it's all JHP for his out of home load.
    The logic behind this? First 3 "doubles" will probably be COM, target in plain view. If the BGs not down by then, it'll probably turn into a shoot out in his house hiding behind furniture, walls etc.
    He lives out in the country with no neighbors, and has multiple (over 30) firearms - collectors, hunting, target, defense. As far as training and experience, he's "been there and done that" so I don't doubt his ability, and he's definitely no mall ninja.
    Personally I wouldn't rate the BGs chances in his house - I doubt he'd even make it far enough to find out if the FMJs make a difference!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I carry a mix of Federal's EFMJ in a 200+P tac load and HST's in 230+P in my 1911's.

Re

Its funny how people see the issue... My uncle once told me if I ever have to use deadly force and im carriying JHP Ill never be able to effectivly use the self defense - defense

My defense would be that i was carrying the most lethal round for the application to properly justify the reason to carry effectivly. If there was reason to carry less than the best I would carry a bb gun LOL

I carry JHP's and practice the Mozambique drill (2 + 1). If I wind up in a situation where I'm trading shots behind cover and not running, somethings wrong.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
    Are there any threads or opinions on mixing FMJ & JHP (I carry 13+1 Hydrashock in my XD 45 right now). I'm guessing the preferred shoot is a low shoot count to stop the bg in their tracks, so I'm wondering whether a mix of penetration and expansion/bleedout would be better than carrying straight JHP. My only concern would be different recoil signatures but if you practice like that, I can't imagine it being that bad. ?
    I carry Corbon DPX. I personally think it covers all the bases.
    No round is perfect but I believe this one is pretty darn close!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I carry Corbon DPX. I personally think it covers all the bases.
    No round is perfect but I believe this one is pretty darn close!
    +1. My mags are loaded with straight DPX (I use the 185gr +P .45s). DPX seems to be the best hollowpoint out there in terms of barrier penetration, weight retention and reliable expansion.

It's biggest "imperfection" is the expense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links