.40 Cal American Eagle

This is a discussion on .40 Cal American Eagle within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the day off today and decided to light off a few rounds at the range . .40 cal MP S&W with 180 grains ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bhoffman
  • 2 Post By BlackStallion29

Thread: .40 Cal American Eagle

VIP Member

.40 Cal American Eagle

I had the day off today and decided to light off a few rounds at the range .

.40 cal MP S&W with 180 grains and the brass was going i would say 15 foot past 3 booths . None or most of the brass never stayed in my booth .

Question is with the grain of the bullet would that cause the brass to fly this far . the last time i fired it about 6 weeks it did not move that far .
    And let me tell you i love that gun it handles so good .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

2. Remove Ads

Yup, nice gun for sure. The Federal AE is decent low-dose range ammo. I have many cases in diff calibers.
    The distance your brass is being tossed is due to your great extractor, not bullet weight.
    The further the better.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I have always thought that it is where the bullets go that counts!
    flintlock62 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhoffman View Post
    I have always thought that it is where the bullets go that counts!
    Yes they were going downstream , but i think the brass was bothersome to the other shooters to the right . That is why i ask the question and see if i choose a different target round . Or next time ask to go to the far right position .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Yes they were going downstream , but i think the brass was bothersome to the other shooters to the right . That is why i ask the question and see if i choose a different target round . Or next time ask to go to the far right position .
    I wouldn't worry about that, but I would however, ask them to gather it all up for you. lol!
    flintlock62 and welder516 like this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Well, You could just shoot Gangsta style. That way the casings will go straight up (or down if you are left handed).

Put a net/barrier to your right. The range I use has PVC framed net/barriers for that purpose.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    It's just part of shooting at the range with a semi-auto. Don't worry about it.

If it really bothers you get a revolver.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Links