Lead Free Bullets?

This is a discussion on Lead Free Bullets? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you all think about lead free bullets for SD?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Lead Free Bullets?

Lead Free Bullets?

What do you all think about lead free bullets for SD?

2. Remove Ads

I want no part of them.

VIP Member
    fredg53 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Talk about a non-issue... if the bullets are for defense, do we really care if they pollute anything other than the BG?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    What do you all think about lead free bullets for SD?
    There are lead free bullets. They are made from brass, copper, even steel.

They cost about twice as much as lead.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I prefer depleted uranium but they are impossible to find at Wal Mart Darned ammo hoarders
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i would trust the solid copper stuff like barnes DPX but the uber frangible atomized metal and high tech epoxy space ceramic matrix stuff seems gimmicky.

i can see using lead free stuff for training when splatter is a concern or for sport and hunting where one would want to keep the lead out of the land and underground water but for SD i would stick with the proven jacked/hard cast lead.

besides a lot of that lead free stuff is very light for caliber.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

So basically, your opinions are that they are over priced junk? I wasnt concerned about lead poisoning or the environment. Just curious about thier performance and practical applications. Can the penetrate something a conventional fmj or hp cannot?

VIP Member
    If it worked, and was competitively priced with lead bullets, I'd consider it or even use it. A hole is a hole, whether made by lead, copper, brass, or unobtainium.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Next, Will be rubber Bullets,! So we don't hurt the bg.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    So basically, your opinions are that they are over priced junk? I wasnt concerned about lead poisoning or the environment. Just curious about thier performance and practical applications. Can the penetrate something a conventional fmj or hp cannot?
    the solid copper stuff retain almost 100 percent of their weight and deforms less then lead so penetration is generally good but the frangible stuff is proven to have less penetration in every media, they are supposed to disintegrate on impact but sometimes they don't depending on what it hits.

steel or tungsten core bullets can help penetration but it makes little difference in handgun rounds. penetration is based on sectional density and the integrity of the projectile. so a strong thin dart would penetrate better then a brittle ball/cylinder.

you wouldn't want the bullet to go through the BG.
    Phaedrus and flintlock62 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    the solid copper stuff retain almost 100 percent of their weight and deforms less then lead so penetration is generally good but the frangible stuff is proven to have less penetration in every media, they are supposed to disintegrate on impact but sometimes they don't depending on what it hits..
    Copper has about 2/3rds the weight of lead, so ballistics will be radically changed. I'm with ghost on the depleted Uranium, but I want my hollowpoints mercury filled.
    Ghost1958, NONAME762 and airslot like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    If it worked, and was competitively priced with lead bullets, I'd consider it or even use it. A hole is a hole, whether made by lead, copper, brass, or unobtainium.
    I want some of that ammo that FEMA IRS DHS NPS UPURS EPA and other stooge alphabet agencies of the hoarding US govt. Some of that depleted unobtainium frangible BG piercing mercury tipped dipped in Bacon grease rounds Obama's minions have stashed in their super secret bunkers under downtown America. And I want it for a nickel a round.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    the solid copper stuff retain almost 100 percent of their weight and deforms less then lead[...]
    This! Even if you want to wipe your butt with the environment there's something to be said for a bullet that's all copper. I don't run them myself right now simply because I can't find any (or at least any at a sane price). Before the last round of nuttiness you could get the Black Hills 115gr Barnes loading for just under $1/round. Now I can't find them at all. I'd want to run at least a hundred through each primary defensive sidearm to verify function before I used them for CCW, and that will get expensive. For now I'm running Federal HST but if/when the Asym or Black Hills is available again I plan to look at it. Even the Buffalo Bore if I can get a tolerable price on it.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I like the higher sectional density of the 147 grain 9mm rounds. To get that weight in a copper bullet would take up too much room in the case. I'll stick with lead as long as I can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links