Current gold standard in .45 stoppers?

This is a discussion on Current gold standard in .45 stoppers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been out of the know for a while and after doing searches here I still have the same question. What are the top ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current gold standard in .45 stoppers?

Current gold standard in .45 stoppers?

I have been out of the know for a while and after doing searches here I still have the same question. What are the top .45 ACP man stoppers in current production and available to civilian purchase?

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Even If I told you the best ammuntion for the .45 is the REMWIN .45 231 gr Whizbang your gun may not like it.

Example My G19 loves gold dots, but i don't like how the gun feels shooting hydra shoks.
    Sig 228 exact opposite.

My suggestion try the big names these guys have been making ammo for a while and have good reputations:
    Federal Hydra shok
    Speer Gold Dot
    Remington Golden sabers
    Winchester SXT, Ranger, Silvertips
    Corbon
    Magtech

and see what cycles "Your" gun the best. Then make a decission about grain. Light and fast, Slow and heavy etc...

Because even though MY REMWIN .45 231 gr Whizbang is the best ammo ever invented. It may not cycle in your gun.

Your #1 concern is reliability of it going bang when you pull the trigger. Don't rely on a mythical horned creature "Stopping power" because you can't stop something if #1 your guns dosn't go Bang #2 you can't hit what your shooting at because you can't control it.

Disclaimer: REMWIN 231 Gr Whizbang Does not exist.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; December 13th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I think Rob covered it pretty well, that list looks pretty good to start, any of the modern loads should perform as well as a handgun can be expected to perform. If you find one of those to feed w/o hickup, and you can hit the center of the target, there you go.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Hornady Tap too.

My suggestion.

Pick 3-4 of the differn't types.

Bench rest your handgun.
    #1 your checking to see if that specific Ammunition is printing where you are aiming.
    #2 your checking to see if its accuracy is good. (whether it groups well or dosn't group well in "YOUR gun" key word "Your"

Then Fire a couple of strings at a pretty rapid pace to see whether or not its going to cause a hang up. You can do this from standing. Also your seeing whether or not you can hit what your shooting at from a standing postition.

Use differn't Targets for Each differn't type of ammo you are using.
    Document any FTF, FTE, for that specific ammo.
    Make a decission that best suits you on your specific ammuntion to gun match.

I know it sounds like a lot and you can get a lot more in depth but thats basically what I do when trying to figure out what to carry in what gun. Its like test driving a Car.

My personal Recommendations: Do not carry ball as a Defense load.
    I dont' like shooting Skittles. (loading mags with differn't types of ammo)
    1 gold dot followed by 1 hydroshok followed by 1 golden saber followed by one tap.

I dont' even like having separate Magazines with differn't ammuntion on me when I'm carrying. The gun may act differn't.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; December 13th, 2006 at 01:40 PM.

I would also add Federal HST to that list

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I must agree with the consensus of opinion here. Try a wide variety of the better-reputed ammo out there and see which one shoots the best (most reliably and most accurately) out of your gun.

There's only one way find out, and that's to shoot. A lot.

But that really isn't a bad thing now, is it?

The list

I've used the Hydra-Shoks before and back a long time ago the SuperVel-190gr. and the CCI-200gr. "flying ashtray". That is why I was looking for some info on a list of those rounds most consider the best performing so I could then try them through my gun until it chose the one it liked the best. I have carried tuned 1911s and a Glock 21 before. My frame hides a lot as I look like a retired football player at 6' 5" and 300lbs. I'm looking for a full size carry gun and while I may go back to a custom 1911 I am open to checking out the best competition if there is any. Double action triggers and I do not function well together but with a gun that fits me back during the years just after dirt was invented I qualified consistently at expert level. I know feeding reliability is everything as “we used to say the loudest sound in the jungle is ‘Click’.”

I tried out a box of Pow'R Ball a while back. Pretty impressive. CorBon uses a 165 grain slug traveling at an insane 1,225 fps (well insane compared to standard 750fps load). Although it get's my thumbs up, it wasn't my cup of tea. I did however, like the idea of an expanding FMJ-profile slug.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    I did however, like the idea of an expanding FMJ-profile slug.
    Have you tried the Federal 200 gr +P EFMJ yet? I haven't got my hands on any Powerball yet but love the EFMJ. Very accurate and controllable in my Commander. My primary carry round now. My Commander can be a little testy sometimes with hollow points and this stuff runs flawlessly.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Have you tried the Federal 200 gr +P EFMJ yet? I haven't got my hands on any Powerball yet but love the EFMJ. Very accurate and controllable in my Commander. My primary carry round now. My Commander can be a little testy sometimes with hollow points and this stuff runs flawlessly.
    No I haven't. I've heard some good things about the Expanding Full Metal Jacket. I do like the fact it's offered in 200 grain, gives it a little more oomph. The next time I go to the range, I'll pick up a box to try out.

anything in a 230 will get her done

White box ww 230 hp personnel protection ammo as good as any ,same for Rem Golden saber 230gr.

I run 230 grn Speer Gold Dot, also due to liability problems, as local depts. carry these as well (SRT carries .45s)

I also like the Taurus Hex bullet 99% copper hp (185grn?)

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    No I haven't. I've heard some good things about the Expanding Full Metal Jacket. I do like the fact it's offered in 200 grain, gives it a little more oomph. The next time I go to the range, I'll pick up a box to try out.

Just give McNett time, he'll come up with a DT load that will expand these as they leave the muzzle from acceleration alone!
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I use the Federal EMFJ in my XD 45, and I'm quite happy with it. The logic it behind is 1) It feeds as well as FMJ and 2) It recently has been found that hollow points may sometimes fill with fabric, preventing expansion. This is most prevalent with denim, leather, and heavier fabrics. Of course, a 230 gr 45 slug will do a very good job of stopping someone even without expansion. This is far more important in 9mm, which needs expansion to make the round a reliable stopper. However, I haven't found the EFMJ often in 9mm, so when I can't get it, I use Pow'rball, as it is designed for the same purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links