Hollowpoints vs FMJ for 9mm

This is a discussion on Hollowpoints vs FMJ for 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friend was giving me a hard time about me carrying FMJ instead of Hollow Points...I explained to him that 9mm was a small/fast/light round and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Hollowpoints vs FMJ for 9mm

Question Hollowpoints vs FMJ for 9mm

Friend was giving me a hard time about me carrying FMJ instead of Hollow Points...I explained to him that 9mm was a small/fast/light round and thus a hollow point wouldn't really do much good anyways because it's always going to over-penetrate regardless and the expansion is going to be minimal. I was under the impression the only calibers that should be carried with hollow points are big/slow/heavy rounds like .45 ACP, .357 mag, and .44 mag. Any caliber junkies here care to elaborate? Thanks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

My 2 cents the only round I carry in fmj in is 32acp and below maybe 380 . If I was packing 9 maybe 380 and above I would carry HP perosnal. There is a reason why some in the MIl hate the m9 and that is the fmj just suckes for stopping power ( blows right though) . You want HP etc as they slow down when they hit someone and energy dump . FMJ is more you get lucky and you hit something HP well that is a hello there why dont you stop hitting me round.... And a modern 9mm JHP will expan just find. So unless you are in the MIL/NJ/San Fran I would carry HP

Just go to youtube plenty of vid showing the diference ...

But what do I know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Friend was giving me a hard time about me carrying FMJ instead of Hollow Points...I explained to him that 9mm was a small/fast/light round and thus a hollow point wouldn't really do much good anyways because it's always going to over-penetrate regardless and the expansion is going to be minimal. I was under the impression the only calibers that should be carried with hollow points are big/slow/heavy rounds like .45 ACP, .357 mag, and .44 mag. Any caliber junkies here care to elaborate? Thanks.
    From what I have read, and expert videos I have seen, the terminal ballistics of many 9mm HP loads perform well. One can rely on the 9mm HP expanding with relative consistently. I carry HP's, not fmj's, in my 9mm's.
    gatorbait51 and oneshot like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

You are incorrect. Quality hollow point defensive ammuntion in 9mm penetrates about the same depth as .40, .357, and .45. You absolutely SHOULD be carrying hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    I don't even know where to start, but you're wrong. 9mm FMJ will over penetrate more than say 45ACP. Some of the only calibers that should be FMJ for concealed carry would be rounds like 380 ACP, 25 ACP etc that are small and underpowered. FMJ 9mm is more likely to punch clean through a body and create a nice clean hole. You want a JHP to expand and rip through your target and hopefully not exit them, leave all of that energy in the target.

Some of the true caliber aficionados will chime in to back me up but american23 really needs to change their 9mm carry round and study up more on basic ballistics. No insult intended, we all come here to learn.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    I was under the impression the only calibers that should be carried with hollow points are big/slow/heavy rounds like .45 ACP, .357 mag, and .44 mag. Any caliber junkies here care to elaborate? Thanks.
    False assumption.

Bullet technology has really advanced in the last decade and continues to do so.

There are 9mm's that expand wonderfully. While several decades ago it was true that the 9mm wasn't known as a fight stopper, that reputation was built mostly by war use of FMJ's.
    Due to technology the performance gap between the big slow bullets and the light fast bullets is getting smaller and smaller.

Today there is no reason to use anything but HP in a 9mm. They do what they are supposed to do and the limited penetration of a HP is better than the unlimited penetration of an FMJ in a defensive shooting situation.
    That's another reason that very few if any Cops carry FMJ in their handguns, most, if not all choosing to use Hollow-points.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Friend was giving me a hard time about me carrying FMJ instead of Hollow Points...
    Rightfully so.

I explained to him that 9mm was a small/fast/light round and thus a hollow point wouldn't really do much good anyways because it's always going to over-penetrate regardless and the expansion is going to be minimal.
    It is because it is a small relatively fast bullet that it needs a HP. Some 9mm loads such as 9BPLE a 115 grain +P+ expand violently.

I was under the impression the only calibers that should be carried with hollow points are big/slow/heavy rounds like .45 ACP, .357 mag, and .44 mag.
    In most loadings the 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum are faster than most 9mm loads fired from a 4" or longer barrel. A 45 ACP still benefits from expansion.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I wouldn't carry fmj unless I had no hollowpoints. I'm quoting an older post of my own below, regarding overpenetration. It's worth the expense of JHP to limit the effect, and 9mm fmj is a poor stopper as well.

Regarding the performance of modern JHP, do some web searches and watch some YouTube videos of gel tests. As for velocities, a faster, lighter bullet is more likely to expand than a slower, heavier bullet of the same shape. It generates higher pressure at entry, which is what expands the point.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    NEW YORK POLICE WILL START USING DEADLIER BULLETS - NYTimes.com

"According to statistics released by the department, 15 innocent bystanders were struck by police officers using full-metal-jacket bullets during 1995 and 1996, the police said. Eight were hit directly, five were hit by bullets that had passed through other people and two were hit by bullets that had passed through objects.

In that same period, officers in the Transit Bureau, who already used the hollow points, struck six bystanders. Four of them were hit directly, one was hit by a bullet that ricocheted and another was hit by a bullet that passed through an object.

In that same period, 44 police officers were struck by police gunfire using the old ammunition: 21 were hit directly, 2 were struck by bullets that ricocheted and 17 were struck by bullets that passed though other people. Of the four officers struck by hollow-point bullets, three were hit directly and one was hit by a bullet that passed through another person."

So, over those two years, 37% of those people unintentionally shot by the NYPD with FMJ rounds were hit after the bullet had already passed through another person. Of those unintentionally shot with HP, 10%. These aren't large enough samples to be definitive, but it certainly indicates that overpenetration is a legitimate concern.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I don't want to get shot with any kind.That said, i use 124 and the 147 jhp in my 9 mm.That's just a personal choice.

I'm not going to repeat any of the comments above other than to agree. I'd never carry FMJ unless I was required to. The modern JHP's work. Plus, worst case scenario with a JHP is that it might not open up. With a FMJ it's a certainty that it won't.

If you do decide to carry FMJ, find a defensive round. Target FMJ isn't manufactured to the same specifications as defensive rounds. Inconsistent powder, less quality control, jacket separation etc.

Hot summer day BG in t shirt
    200gr 9mm soft hollow point
    Light jack 158 gr
    winter jacket 124 gr
    Just hit your target this stuff is so much bull next if you don't use +p the 9mm won't work.
    The barrel length alone can make a big difference ,distance where you hit target.
    There is no end to this need for special rounds 9mm ball has been killing a long time.
    Military does not dislike the 9mm because of ball they don't like it because it is not a 45.
    And don't dare use 9mm ball for training , you will never hit your target with you carry load.
    Full size 9mm go with a 124-147 jacket or semi jacket hollow point
    Compact drop down to the 124
    subs 115 to 124.
    If ball is what you got center mass and fire.

To the op...
    Do yourself a favor. Go find some 124 gr Federal hydra shock and be done with it. It has been around a long time, but has put many a bad guy in the ground. It is reliable, packs a whollop and is reasonably cheap compared to others. You will get as many opinions about the "best" ammo and their are seconds in a day. A modern bullet from a reliable manufacturer is more than enough to defend yourself properly. There is no magic bullet. I personally use several different brands depending on what is available. In order of preference they are: winchester ranger, federal hydra-shock, winchester PDX-1. I prefer the heaviest bullet I can find, but 124 gr is common just about anywhere. whatever you get, be sure to shoot at least a whole box of it to ensure that it is reliable in your gun. Others will say hundreds of rounds, but at 25-30 bucks for twenty, I am ok with a box .
    gatorbait51 and brocktice like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

TNOutdoors9 does very good ballistic gel tests on YouTube. He uses a calibrated block of gel, and 4 layers of denim per the FBI protocol. He and others on YouTube are worth checking out.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links