Does brand really matter that much?

This is a discussion on Does brand really matter that much? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When it come to your major brand defense rounds, seems to me that any of the major brands will get the job done. If it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Does brand really matter that much?

Does brand really matter that much?

When it come to your major brand defense rounds, seems to me that any of the major brands will get the job done. If it's Winchester, Federal, Speer, Hornady, Remington, etc... I'm guessing it will make a mess of the BG's insides.

We all know that studying ballistics can be mind numbing at best, and one round will perform better in this or that category than another. But in the real world does it really matter if I use the latest and greatest? I like the carry what shoots well for you and your gun train of thought.

Myself, I carry Hornady in my Sig P250 in either 9mm or .45. I've only been carrying for a few months, so I don't have a lot of experience with lots of different ammo. Hornady is the only brand I've found so far that feeds reliably in both calibers of my particular gun.

Please don't take that as me thinking Hornady is the best there is. The 9mm setup seems to eat anything, while the .45 is more particular. Maybe this will change as I get more round through it.

But back to my original question, unless I'm buying Billy Bobs reloads off the net, won't the name brand stuff all have the same end result (dead bg)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

2. Remove Ads

For me the only worry would be again the name if it some weird named round ala devastators etc then yes name matters as I dont think you want to shoot a bad guy with devastator rounds .

And I know there were some older HP rounds ala the 80s that were not as great as they could be ( slivertips I think , see miami shootout) . That all said most any round today imop will mess the guy up . For me as long as said round is low flash and if need be works in small barrels then I am fine with it . I sure you could watch vids all day but as long as it passed the gov pen test it is good enough .. And of course works in your gun ..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    And of course works in your gun ..
    ^^^^ THERE YOU GO!!! ^^^^

Right "on target"!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

You can drive yourself crazy with the choices but I tend to be happy with Critical Defense, Critical Duty, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers and HSTs, whichever I find at a decent price. Any of these as well as others will stop a BG quite effectively.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ballistics 101 has a great comparison of commercial ammo by caliber. Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place

It makes a huge difference in 10mm ammunition.
    jake01, gatorbait51 and srings like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Ballistics 101 has a great comparison of commercial ammo by caliber. Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place

Good reference. As far as the 10mm goes, while I saw the big swing in velocity and energy, I didn't see one that jumped out and said " I won't scramble someone's insides." which was the point I was making.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

The better charts have barrel lengths. I am happy enough with any round that has passed the FBI's criteria AND feeds well in my particular sidearm.
    Actually, there are not many choices for optimal ammo in the common calibers with barrel lengths, especially handguns.

Best thing about the FBI's reqs is that the 4 layers of 16 oz denim is a realistic 'worst case' for clogging HPs and the penetration has a minimum and a maximum depth.
    Stick with those, and you are good for carry.

For range / practice ammo, all that is needed is LRN with the same bullet weight I carry (WWB works for me).
    I get most all my ammo by the case, so I don't diddle around much with non-compliant brands ... and get the most out of 'sales'. I can't afford box prices.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Good reference. As far as the 10mm goes, while I saw the big swing in velocity and energy, I didn't see one that jumped out and said " I won't scramble someone's insides." which was the point I was making.

I carry a Glock G20 SF 10mm in rural areas where black bear, cougar, coyote, or rabid animal encounters are a high possibility. I may as well carry a 9mm or a 40 S&W with the weaker rounds produced by many manufacturers. I want high end .357 magnum ballistics from my 10mm handguns. Otherwise, I would be better off carrying a .357 magnum revolver. When I want more velocity, I drop in a six inch Glock factory barrel.
    Ianthin and Aceoky like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post

Like, do you want to shoot 10mm or 40 S&W want a be.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

As usual everybody should do what they choose to do. We all place our bets and take our chances.

Personally, If its a brand that feeds and known to go bang in JHP in 9mm and up im good with it. Do I have preferences, sure, but if I cant get it or its way more than something else in a good ammo im not wringing my hands about it. You lose control of what the bullet is going to do once it leaves the barrel. If it expands, it expands. If it dont you just shot fmj on that round.

As far as names?? Its a justifiable use of force or it isnt. If you shoot someone in SD its not going to matter if you shot them with MARYS LITTLE LAMBS KISSES brand ammo
    or TURN INARNDS INTO JELLY ON THE GROUND brand ammo. I doubt a single case can be found where the justification for shooting someone in SD went one way or the other depending on the name of the round the BG was shot with.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Some rounds are better than others but as long as it feeds in your gun you're basically good to go with any modern reputable manufacturer's cartridges.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Hydroshock or critical duty/defense is what I use. I have talked to retired agents that say they have seen they work fine. And that's what they carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to find the round that works best for my gun no matter caliber, shot placement and reliability are my main goals. Sabres, dots, critical duty have always fed an performed well for me. Also my own reloads I would trust as well.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Does brand really matter? Yes.
    To me it does. Now, that's not to say that I don't favor different brands, it' just that each of my calibers have specific needs. I trust Speer GDHPs for my 9mm, I trust Corbon for my 40S&W, Speer again for my 357SIG, and Remington for my 45ACP. Bottom line is what performs best for me in each caliber and in my pistols.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    When it come to your major brand defense rounds, seems to me that any of the major brands will get the job done. If it's Winchester, Federal, Speer, Hornady, Remington, etc... I'm guessing it will make a mess of the BG's insides.

We all know that studying ballistics can be mind numbing at best, and one round will perform better in this or that category than another. But in the real world does it really matter if I use the latest and greatest? I like the carry what shoots well for you and your gun train of thought.
    You're right on target.

All the major ammo makers make reliable, accurate defense rounds these days that work just fine, compared to the commercial offerings of just a decade ago. The difference in performance among the major brands is a second decimal place effect, in general.
    Bassleg, Aceoky and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links