End of the line for the lead bullet?

This is a discussion on End of the line for the lead bullet? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regulations, bans force switch to 'green' ammo When the last bullet-producing lead smelter closes its doors on Dec. 31, it will mark a major victory ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: End of the line for the lead bullet?

VIP Member

End of the line for the lead bullet?

Regulations, bans force switch to 'green' ammo

When the last bullet-producing lead smelter closes its doors on Dec. 31, it will mark a major victory for those who say lead-based ammunition pollutes the environment, but others warn 'green' bullets will cost more, drive up copper prices and do little to help conservation

The bid to ban lead bullets, seen by some as harmful to the environment, started slowly more than a decade ago. But with two dozen states, including California, banning bullets made of the soft, heavy metal, the lead bullet's epitaph was already being written when the federal government finished it off.

First, the military announced plans to phase out lead bullets by 2018.

Then the federal Environmental Protection Agency, citing emissions, ordered the shutdown of the Doe Run company's lead smelter in Herculaneum, Mo., by year's end.

Whether by state or federal regulation, or by market forces, lead bullets will be all but phased out within a few years in favor of so-called green bullets, experts say. While many believe that this will help the environment by keeping lead from contaminating groundwater, others say switching to copper-based bullets will cost hunters and sportsmen more and have little effect on the environment.
    Jim Yardley a retired financial controller and blogger for americanthinker.com, estimated it would cost $18,431,000 to replace the lead with copper.

“Nearly $20 million, not to improve the effectiveness of the ammunition used by our troops, but to protect the environment,” Yardley wrote.
    End of the line for the lead bullet? Regulations, bans force switch to 'green' ammo | Fox News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

I should hope not. The 'green' rounds we ended up with in Iraq were substandard and took more COM hits to disable a target.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chandler4228 View Post
    I should hope not. The 'green' rounds we ended up with in Iraq were substandard and took more COM hits to disable a target.
    It is a more humane way as they won't die of lead poisoning between the hits on target! I guess the hoarding won't stop for another few years! SGAmmo.com just got in a large supply of ammo, so boys and girls better hurry and stock up!
    Last edited by onacoma; December 18th, 2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added the girls!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

They may be phased out for the military, doesn't necessarily mean it will for LE or the private market. Still, this is ridiculous - our troops, and possibly us, will be stuck with lighter, lower-performance, more expensive bullets for no good reason at all.

Unless somebody believes the troops are clamoring for a lighter 5.56...

Truly disgusting.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Sierra has said that they won't be affected by the closing of the lead smelter. They get their lead from other sources and will continue to make lead bullet.

It won't affect the several K of lead Boolits I have for reloading. I do also have some Copper Wash and FMJ and all Copper Boolits for use in the Green areas. My membership range recycles 100% of everything I send down range!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

They outlawed lead in the early 70's for waterfowl hunting and wound up with an immense amt. of cripples as the first attempt at a lead substitute, steel was inept.....it took a while but I guess they improved on shot over time.......but the cost nearly tripled.
    Aceoky and HotGuns like this.

I guess I'll have to increase the budget for ammo.
    oldnfat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    They may be phased out for the military, doesn't necessarily mean it will for LE or the private market. Still, this is ridiculous - our troops, and possibly us, will be stuck with lighter, lower-performance, more expensive bullets for no good reason at all.

Unless somebody believes the troops are clamoring for a lighter 5.56...

Truly disgusting.
    I have to respectfully disagree with the part about the private market. IMO the military and Federal LE will have the high performance rounds when the private market will have to settle with junky low performance rounds. I just think the Govt has a tendency to take care of it's own before the private citizens.
    flintlock62, msgt/ret and Exacto like this.

Then the federal Environmental Protection Agency, citing emissions, ordered the shutdown of the Doe Run company's lead smelter in Herculaneum, Mo., by year's end.
    The EPA did NOT "ordered" the shutdown of anything. The company decided to shutdown the plant due to the cost associated to bring the facility in compliance with EPA regulations.

Rumor Check: Did Obama Close a Lead Plant in Order to Enact ?Backdoor? Gun Control? | TheBlaze.com

VIP Member
    Brad, from Missouri Bullet, posted this on Facebook a bit ago...

I am very disappointed in Fox News' reportage of the impending "lead shortage" due to the closure of the Doe Run smelter. The current news piece at foxnews.com is rife with misrepresentation, omission, and outright falsehoods. When they want to cover an issue dealing with ammunition, why the hell don't they look around and find someone who KNOWS at least the basics of ammunition. Very disappointed here and I'm not looking forward to another 250 frantic emails and phone calls from people who read the piece and are in absolute panic.
    flintlock62 and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    The EPA did NOT "ordered" the shutdown of anything. The company decided to shutdown the plant due to the cost associated to bring the facility in compliance with EPA regulations.

Rumor Check: Did Obama Close a Lead Plant in Order to Enact ?Backdoor? Gun Control? | TheBlaze.com
    Ok, so the EPA regs made it impossible to remain open, closed is closed.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post

That's a semantics game. The EPA tightened the restrictions to make it nearly impossible to smelt lead, make a profit, and comply with the regs. all at the same time... That's like destroying someone's food supply and saying, "I didn't murder them, they starved to death."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Ok, so the EPA regs made it impossible to remain open, closed is closed.
    It doesn't matter for the ammo business if the plant remains open or not. Ammo is made from recycled lead. Recycled lead from batteries. The plant produced primary lead, which is not used in the manufacture of ammo. Those industries that require primary lead will have to import the lead from other countries. The ammo business is not one of those.

We can always get lead from China, which doesn't have the same
    environmental concerns. But Chinese lead is often contaminated with
    toys.

;-)

John W in SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links