.38spc+p Recall

This is a discussion on .38spc+p Recall within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought some Remington UMC .38spc +p a week or so ago. First time I ever bought revolver ammo, and I dont even own a ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By redmc
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: .38spc+p Recall

.38spc+p Recall

I bought some Remington UMC .38spc +p a week or so ago. First time I ever bought revolver ammo, and I dont even own a revolver. I just saw in another post a link to this: Remington/UMC 38 Special +P ? Ammunition Recall

Theres a recall on my ammo. Its the lot described in the article. So this is just standard .357 now? Or is it .357 magnum powder inside a .38 casing? Would it be completely safe to shoot out of a .357 revolver? Or should I just contact them and have it swapped for what I originally thought it was? Obviously I wouldnt shoot it out of a .38 revolver under any circumstance, but if this stuff is totally safe to shoot out of a .357 magnum, Ill just relabel the box, tape it up so it doesnt get mixed up with anything else, and set it aside.

2. Remove Ads

Chances are it'll be fine in a .357, but why take chances? You don't even have a revolver, so I can't imagine the turnaround time to replace it is a major concern.

Just out of curiosity, why buy ammo for a caliber you don't even own?
    CIBMike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Its not the turnaround time that is a concern. Just the hassle of having to deal with shipping it.

I bought it because I plan on buying a small revolver at some point. After deciding to put it off until I can save up and buy a .357, I saw this and figured I could just shoot this out of whatever I get if its confirmed that its 100% safe.

Its such a common caliber, and I didnt own a single round of it. I saw a 100 pack at Walmart for a fair price, so I went ahead and scooped it up.

I bought a box of these a few years back, The way I heard it, some of the rounds were 357 loads. It was never determined how many hot ones made it into any given box. I called Remington, they sent me a shipping label, said send it back. Problem was, nobody would. Not USPS, not FedEx. So instead of jumping thru a bunch of hoops, I kept it. I own two S&W 357's and a Henry rifle in 357mag. I'll use them in the 357's, won't have to worry about it.

.357 loads in .38 spl. cases could cause a problem even if fired in a .357.
    5lima30ret and ShooterGranny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    I bought a box of these a few years back, The way I heard it, some of the rounds were 357 loads. It was never determined how many hot ones made it into any given box. I called Remington, they sent me a shipping label, said send it back. Problem was, nobody would. Not USPS, not FedEx. So instead of jumping thru a bunch of hoops, I kept it. I own two S&W 357's and a Henry rifle in 357mag. I'll use them in the 357's, won't have to worry about it.
    Well that's just weird - UPS ships ammo all over the country. Having just shipped a handgun, I know their web site has all the specifics about shipping ammo, including a printable ORM-D label.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I checked my two boxes none of the numbers match.I have L38S2 not L38S2B and the numbers inside the box flap do not match up with the given lot numbers.Thanks for the heads up Chuck808.
    The easy way is always mined.

Applies to one lot code not every box ever made
    CIBMike likes this.

Links