Anticipate .22LR supply getting better after Christmas?

This is a discussion on Anticipate .22LR supply getting better after Christmas? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While other calibers have been increasing in supply some, finding .22LR remains dicey. Where it is sold at a decent price, you have to be ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By darbo

Thread: Anticipate .22LR supply getting better after Christmas?

While other calibers have been increasing in supply some, finding .22LR remains dicey. Where it is sold at a decent price, you have to be in the right place at the right time to get it. If it is readily available and you can buy all you want, the price is too high. Twenty cents a round is not my idea of plinking ammo.

Do you think the supply will get better after Christmas? I wonder if gift-giving of .22 guns and requisite ammo (or maybe small caches of ammo for sons and daughters) has made the short supply even shorter.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

It's possible we will see what happens.

I'm thinking that gifting of .22 guns and ammo will keep the lack of ammo going for quite some time.
    StormRhydr and CIBMike like this.

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that
    is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

How about 22lr for 20 cents around,,,,,, hum, hum, sound familiar.

Try this site. 22lr ammo rimfire I use it all the time to help me find ammo at reasonable prices.

All calibers are still spotty in my opinion.I don't think we will see the availabilties that we saw prior to Sandy Hook. 22 LR included.I think you will see another run on all ammo again just prior to mid term elections.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    22lr continues to be a roller coster in my area and at the shop I work at.Increased popularity of AR style .22 and the amazing number of configurations of the Ruger 10/22 among other issues will probably continue that trend.
    The easy way is always mined.

Oddly enough, it has been readily available in my area for about $40 for 500.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    At 8 cents a piece that's about twice what I want to pay, But getting close to what I would pay. Around here the scalpers are asking $60 for a 300 round box of Remington Goldens! I Aint Buying!

I haven't seen any 22lr around my area since Black Friday. My local Dick's Sporting Goods had a 525 round box for $19.99 (limit one). But they had plenty and if you were willing to wait in line, you could get one. Since then, I haven't see any around my area at all....
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    All I ever see at the Wally Marts here is 7mm. :(

"“The CMP has been notified by ammunition manufacturers and distributors to expect price increases and significant delivery delays for all calibers of ammunition, especially for .22 rimfire. The price increases and delays apply to orders we have already placed with the manufacturers. Prior to 2013 CMP received deliveries of truckloads of ammo within a few weeks of placing orders. We are now being advised, as in the case of Aguila .22, that it may take several years to receive all of the 35,000,000 rounds of Aguila ammo we have on order. . .

“As a result of this situation, CMP has placed orders with several different manufacturers for large amounts of ammunition in various calibers. We expect to receive only a few pallets at a time because manufacturers and distributors are rationing the ammo to their customers. As we receive ammo, we will contact customers with oldest orders already in place with the option to purchase whatever we receive at the new prices, cancel the order, or remain on the list for the manufacturer they originally requested. All price increases to CMP will be passed on to the customer. CMP will not be profiting from the increase in prices."

Weekend Digest: Well, That's Not Good News Edition | The Truth About Guns

Not sure .. Esp with new guns at Christmas and a lot of them possible being 22 trainer guns .. I am hoping by late jan or feb it is ease up more .. Unless some politician shoots his mouth off..

VIP Member
    Just bought 1300 rounds of Federal 36 gr hollow points for 7.6 cents per round ($38 per 500) shipped from Cheaper than Dirt. $20.52 per 325 in a sealed can plus shipping.

Best deal I have seen so far on the internet, when shipping is factored in.

Cheapest I have seen it around here is $36 per 500, if you can find it. With whistle pig season just around the corner (three months), if you don't have it by then, you aren't going to get it. Even in good times there are shortages during whistle pig season.

EDIT: WOW! Out of stock in 15 minutes.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Gander Mountain has had large stocks of 22LR up until yesterday when I bought the second to last case of 500 CCI Standard Target and another guy bought the last case. Ten cents a round isn't bad. Pre-trouble cost were around six to eight cents per round.

Would love to see it make a comeback!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Links