What is the most you're willing to pay per round for plinking .22LR ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the most you're willing to pay per round for plinking .22LR ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about getting a .22 semi-auto for relatively inexpensive marksmanship training and to ease my wife into handguns and have been somewhat amazed at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What is the most you're willing to pay per round for plinking .22LR ammo?

What is the most you're willing to pay per round for plinking .22LR ammo?

I'm thinking about getting a .22 semi-auto for relatively inexpensive marksmanship training and to ease my wife into handguns and have been somewhat amazed at the prices I'm seeing for .22LR ammo. I'm curious as to what informed folk are willing to pay.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

2. Remove Ads

I just paid 11 cents a round including shipping. Was a little high but had to have some for Christmas, since I got my youngest a 22 rifle. They have some here for 9 cents a round before shipping. 22lr ammo rimfire

When you can find it you are going to PAY for it...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    When you can find it you are going to PAY for it...just sayin
    Unless you decide to do without, I guess.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

I like CCI and had to pay .11 cents a round online. That was ok because it was the only source I could find. Nothing at stores around me. Shortage not over IMHO.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a .22 semi-auto for relatively inexpensive marksmanship training and to ease my wife into handguns and have been somewhat amazed at the prices I'm seeing for .22LR ammo. I'm curious as to what informed folk are willing to pay.
    Broadus ... In my area of the world, bulk packs can still be found at 4 - 5 cents per round. The only time in the past year that I have gone above that was a recent purchase of 500 rounds of CCI minimags for 8 cents per round.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

$.08 per round is the highest I'd pay. They've been running $7.47 per 100 for CCI minimags at WM. Thanks to 8 WMs in my area, picking is pretty easy. Cabela's & occasionally Bass Pro has some also.

Not to make the "most hated list", but I have 10K rounds on hand. I wont pay above normal prices.

I started stocking up before obama was elected the first time. Then, I have to admit that I slacked off.

Post sandy hook I bought another 4-5K rounds, and then there was none to be found anywhere. I did, one day, stumble across two boxes of 1K rounds of win m 55 (or some such), at normal price, and bought those.

I have actually PASSED on buying .22 Lr this month when I found it at walmart. One has to draw the line somewhere, lol.
    Bhoffman and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member
    The problem is not cost per round that will eventually come down. The question is how many rounds does each shooter want at their house. The market was built on a go to the store get two boxes and go shooting Saturday. Today most seem to be looking at putting 10K rounds away and this is when the shortage comes in.

Compare two people going to Starbucks it costs around $7.00 buying a good book is $12.00 going to the movies is $15.00. Most of the things we do for recreation cost some money at $5.00 per box of 22 it seems a drive to the pits and time with the family shooting is a pretty good bargain even at inflated prices.

Skills that you learn shooting are patience controlled breathing hand eye coordination and these can be applied to every day situations.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    ...I started stocking up before obama was elected the first time. Then, I have to admit that I slacked off...
    I started stocking up during the Carter administration. Then, I have to admit that I slacked off.

Started stocking up again before Clinton was elected the first time. Then, I have to admit that I slacked off.
    Started again when he was re-elected. Then, I have to admit that I slacked off.

Hmmm, a pattern here???

2X elections of Obama + Sandy Hook + Aurora, etc. got me buying a little more here & there, but you've gotta draw a line somewhere both on price and on how much you really think you need to have on hand.

I have not yet been able to bring myself to pay more than about 8 cents a round; maybe 10-12 for the premium stuff.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

While it is frustrating trying to move into the .22 world with this scarcity of ammo, I don't blame those who stock up. Who knows when the next rampage of evil will take place that statists (which is what "progressives" are) will use to restrict 2nd Amendment rights? I would be stocking up, too. I don't blame those who stock up. I blame the statists for creating such a culture where folk feel the need to stock up.
    Pukindog12 likes this.

$0.04-0.07 is what I look for.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    The last time I bought 22 ammo, I paid 50¢ a box. I still have three bricks. $8 per box like a saw in a gun store? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post

When you can find it you are going to PAY(a lot) for it...just sayin
    "Unless you decide to do without, I guess. "

Fixed it for ya Braddus

"Unless you decide to do without, I guess. "

Fixed it for ya Braddus
    That's what I understood you to mean. If you get it, you're probably going to pay a lot for it, but I just do without rather than pay a lot more than I think something is worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links