HST vs Hydra-Shok ? Need some advice

This is a discussion on HST vs Hydra-Shok ? Need some advice within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Needs some advice on defensive ammo and found some Hydro-Shok 9mm for good price and in stock while I can't find HST anywhere in 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: HST vs Hydra-Shok ? Need some advice

HST vs Hydra-Shok ? Need some advice

Needs some advice on defensive ammo and found some Hydro-Shok 9mm for good price and in stock while I can't find HST anywhere in 9mm. Is Hydro-Shok just as good or should I keep looking? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Hydra-shok I've read isn't as reliable in expansion as HST. Even so, I'd be okay carrying it.

Is it 124 grain or 147?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

It's 124 should I go with 147 instead? Forgive me but I'm a rookie in ammo knowledge.

I did find some hst 124 grain at my local gun shop here for $24 for 20 rounds. Idk? it seemed high priced for me.

Try SGAmmo. I buy all my HST there. Their prices are very good, shipping is the best you'll find and they're just good people. Never had any problems with them. As for 147gr vs 124gr it's probably about a wash. The track record of both seem to be excellent. Initially I wanted the 124gr but all I could find was 147gr. Now that I've got a good stock of it I'm glad I went heavier. All my guns are polymer except one (a Browning Hi-Power) and all else being equal the heavier bullets seem to be function better in light guns. I don't think you can go wrong with either loading and they have a pretty good stock of the 124gr right now.

I don't think the Hydra-shok is "bad" just older technology. The HST will hold together better and offer more consistent & reliable performance from what I've heard.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    agreed that the hydra shok is an older technology. still hanging in there with some of the newer stuff though. i certainly wouldnt hesitate carrying it. either 124gr or 147gr will work, not mush difference. i dont know enough about the HST to help you out there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Thanks! Ill take a look at Sgammo

i go back and forth between a G19 and a Shield 9mm for my EDC... 124 grain HST would be a good choice for both guns?

i go back and forth between a G19 and a Shield 9mm for my EDC... 124 grain HST would be a good choice for both guns?

Also should I go with +P or not? They are currently out of stock of +p

I wouldn't worry about getting the +p if they don't have it- you should be able to shoot the regular loads a little better when it comes to follow up shots. Make sure you run a good amount through both guns to make sure it functions well... They are both reliable guns so you shouldn't have much problem

I wouldn't be a bit afraid of carrying the standard pressure stuff. Why not see how it shoots and pick up the +P stuff when it gets back in stock? It's a bit of an investment I know, but don't just buy a box or two and call it good! Buy a few boxes and burn up a couple. It should be a fine load for both the Glock and the Shield but you won't know for sure 'til you try it. That's one huge reason that I carry the same load in every gun I CCW; 147gr HST for all my nines and 230gr HST for my .45s. If a gun of mine has proven itself to be reliable than I might feel comfortable only testing 50 rounds to assure function (and trust me- it a gun hasn't proven basically reliable I won't keep it around and certainly won't carry it). It wasn't cheap but all my CCW guns have been proofed with 100-150 rounds of the HST. Money well spent! Not only do I trust it to feed but I know how it feels and where it will shoot (POA/POI). It also let me find some good 147gr ball that hits to the same POA.

Apropos of nothing I don't understand why a person would ever have different loads for different guns. If you've selected a round for CCW it should be because it's the best load you can find. Why would you sometimes carry the best and other times carry something not as good?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    If you can find a copy of it, the Jan issue of American Rifleman (NRA publication) has an article that discusses the differences between HST and Hydra-Shok. As others have said, older technology. and HST was designed to solve some performance problems. Please remember that the performance is judged against a set of FBI tests in ballistic gel and doesn't necessarily reflect what will happen in a real body.

I suggest you take a look at Youtube channel tnoutdoors9. The guy does pretty extensive & detailed testing of various ammo brands, calibers & weights (including the type you're looking at) using ballistic gelatin & other media. I used his videos when trying to decide on which .45 ammo to purchase for my newly bought Glock 21SF. By the way, it is important to note that barrel length will affect ammo performance in terms of velocity & accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

Go with the HST, one of the best rounds I've tested...
    Attached Images
    BlackStallion29 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links