Reloader refurbish

Reloader refurbish

This is a discussion on Reloader refurbish within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Dad sold his house and moved out to the country about 12 years ago. All the reloading equipment has been boxed up in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Reloader refurbish

Reloader refurbish

My Dad sold his house and moved out to the country about 12 years ago. All the reloading equipment has been boxed up in the barn for 12 years. We dug it out this past summer, and it is all rusted up. We started the clean up today.
    Back in the early 80s my Dad bought a C&H autochamp progressive reloader. We have always had it set up for 45acp. We loaded 1000s of rounds on the machine. After 12 years in a barn, it was nearly unrecognizable. Dirt, rust, corrosion, mouse pee. It was locked up and just plain nasty. Luckily he still had the manual that has very detailed drawings of the complete assembly. We took the machine completely apart and bagged up all the parts. We spent all day cleaning in the parts washer, knocking off rust with the wire wheel, and glass beading. It is actually starting to look pretty good again.
    Wish I would have taken a few pictures before it was taken apart, but the old man still gets up earlier than me and had it half disassembled by the time I got to his house. Tomorrow we will start reassembly. I'll take a few pictures when it's back together.
    StormRhydr, flintlock62 and ccman like this.

Sounds like a fun and rewarding enterprise. Good luck!
    novaX522 and The Old Anglo like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Best of luck on your resurrection.
    novaX522 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have found that WD-40 and Hoppes #9 works well on rusted stuff like that.
    novaX522 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member
    Keep us posted with pics and successes
    novaX522 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Have derusted several old complicated machines in my life. I let parts sit over night in a bucket filled with coca cola amazing stuff, than wire brush lastly emery cloth, good luck
    StormRhydr and novaX522 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Have derusted several old complicated machines in my life. I let parts sit over night in a bucket filled with coca cola amazing stuff, than wire brush lastly emery cloth, good luck
    Neat trick, I'll keep that in mind!
    We got 8 or 9" of snow last night, so I didn't make it out to work on it today. Called Dad, he has a bench all cleaned and the parts layed out ready for assembly. This will be a busy week, but I'm excited about getting back out there and getting this machine back together.

Photo597.jpgPhoto598.jpg
    We got it back together tonight. We cycled brass through and adjusted and tweaked until it was working properly. We then installed and adjusted the 4 dies. We are setting up a new bench to permanently mount it. It will be nice to have this old machine working again!

Photo599.jpgPhoto600.jpg
    Next up for repair/refurbish is a Star and a Lyman bullet luber/sizer. They are about the same level of crustiness the reloader was before we started on it. I also have close to a dozen sets of bullet moulds that are in need of a serious cleaning. I'll get before and after pics of those as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novaX522 View Post
    Photo597.jpgPhoto598.jpg
    We got it back together tonight. We cycled brass through and adjusted and tweaked until it was working properly. We then installed and adjusted the 4 dies. We are setting up a new bench to permanently mount it. It will be nice to have this old machine working again!
    Nice job, looks brand new.
    novaX522 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by novaX522 View Post
    We took the machine completely apart and bagged up all the parts. We spent all day cleaning in the parts washer, knocking off rust with the wire wheel, and glass beading. It is actually starting to look pretty good again. Tomorrow we will start reassembly. I'll take a few pictures when it's back together.
    The family that scrubs rusty mouse pee together, stays together.

Sounds like a fun project. Once it's all running like clockwork, I can see a cool afternoon involving shooting the reloads on the back 40 followed by cracking a beer in self-congratulation. Then, ask him about the Thompson or Lee-Enfield he's got stashed away down there ... in the mouse stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Have derusted several old complicated machines in my life. I let parts sit over night in a bucket filled with coca cola amazing stuff ...
    Ah, so the "rat cancer" warnings are true. And apparently scrubs off rust better than most harsh chemicals. Makes you think twice about swilling the stuff.
    novaX522 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    So does brake fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I have found that WD-40 and Hoppes #9 works well on rusted stuff like that.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    The C&H Autochamp progressive reloader is a very good press. Good luck on the cleaning. I had to go through something similar when I stored my Dillon RL 550B. It wasn't quite as bad as you described though.
    novaX522 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I bought a Forster Bonanza that was in similar condition at a fleamarket for $8.00! After cleaning it up I soaked it in Marvel Mystery Oil and it worked great! I was not familiar with the Bonanza model but it is really a decent press and pretty well made. Good luck!
    novaX522 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Photo602.jpgPhoto603.jpg
    Worked on some bullet moulds last night. The moulds that were filled with lead cleaned up perfect. The moulds that were open cleaned up pretty good.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links