Discoloration of shell after firing

This is a discussion on Discoloration of shell after firing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just ran a few rounds through my 45 and noticed discoloration on one side of shell is this normal as I have never seen this ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DingBat

Thread: Discoloration of shell after firing

Just ran a few rounds through my 45 and noticed discoloration on one side of shell is this normal as I have never seen this happen before.

uploadfromtaptalk1387748346319.jpguploadfromtaptalk1387748383331.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes it’s normal. Some brands more than others.

Yep, not unusual. For any given gun, a lot depends on how hot the load is, how fast the powder burns, things like that. Perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    that comes from the metal either going to through a heating/cooling cycle too fast or tto slow, or sometimes, irregularities in the metal itself, usually this is due to the brass itself being recycled so many times.
    the heating cooling thing can have to do with, but not limited too;
    irregular case shape(wall was forced more than what's expected inside chamber during high pressure)
    casing reloaded too many times(thinning)-though *shouldn't* be an issue w/any factory ammo.
    could even be the shape of your guns chamber, but it will always show the same then.
    sometimes i swear its happened just from a dirty gun/dirty ammo, and not powder residue, actual "case burn" - that's what i call it, what do ya'll call it?
    get a gun hot enough from sustained fire and your cases will come out more and more discolored....
    but i'm just a trigger happy redneck so the folks at Speer could probably give you a better answer

shouldn't be anything to worry about either way, just tryin to explain it as i know it
    StormRhydr likes this.

I had run 600 - 700 rounds thru this gun before and never noticed it, i'm shooting Federal 230 gram FMJ RN champions. It was 28 degrees outside and some snow on the ground so the quick cooling of it landing in the snow produced a quick cool down of shell.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    did it land in the snow or water? rapid cooling of hot brass can promote discoloration but either way some discoloration is normal.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

sounds like you just got some dirty ammo. can't tell ya what goes exactly, could be powder, could be primers, but sometimes a factory just runs bad lots.

one question though? whas it at the end of a nice, long, session that the gun starting dropping these burnt casings?

if so, it was probably just from a hot, dirty gun. it happens, not all the time, but it does. i use case burn as an informal way to say how good any given ammo is. that russian, steel cased, "WOLF" ammo is worst crap around. i swear i've gotten every color metal can be, and a few it shouldn't shooting that stuff.

Federal should be better than that, but again, they all run bad lots.

I have noticed it more from bulk value brands like Win USA and others like it, and loads using quicker burning powders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    sounds like you just got some dirty ammo. can't tell ya what goes exactly, could be powder, could be primers, but sometimes a factory just runs bad lots.

one question though? whas it at the end of a nice, long, session that the gun starting dropping these burnt casings?

if so, it was probably just from a hot, dirty gun. it happens, not all the time, but it does. i use case burn as an informal way to say how good any given ammo is. that russian, steel cased, "WOLF" ammo is worst crap around. i swear i've gotten every color metal can be, and a few it shouldn't shooting that stuff.

Federal should be better than that, but again, they all run bad lots.
    Just shot 9 rounds is all i shot and it wasnt what i would call rapid fire either a few seconds between each shot, it was a box of 50.

I have shot that Tuluamo( or how every its spelled) and its the dirtiest stuff i have ever seen.

yeah, i'd blame it on the snow and be done for it. if it starts doing it all the time perhaps dig deeper. happy shooting!

Links