I want the truth about reloading for Glock Model 35?

This is a discussion on I want the truth about reloading for Glock Model 35? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that shooting anything other than "factory ammo" voids my warranty on a Glock. I also know that there are aftermarket barrels that I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04

Thread: I want the truth about reloading for Glock Model 35?

I know that shooting anything other than "factory ammo" voids my warranty on a Glock.

I also know that there are aftermarket barrels that I can buy which will allow me to shoot whatever ammo I want out of my Glock 35.

But I want some truthful opinions and real life experience and advice from you knowledgable reloaders out there. I have done tons of reloading for 30-06 and .243 but never for handgun.

I read lots of warning talking about the dangers of shooting reloads out of my factory G35 barrel. Some of them are about lead clogging the rifling, some are about the pologanol rifling, and some are about the poor case support causing lowouts or bulged cases.

What are everyones thoughts about these and any other concerns? I really like the idea of having my own round in the quantities that will allow me to shoot ALOT.

VIP Member
    If you use good quality brass that has not been overused and stressed too much, and if you follow a good reloading manual's "formula" for amount of powder and kind of powder, and if you use either copper coated (FMJ or hollowpoints) bullets - you should have no problems for years of range shooting.

Gramps has been reloading and shooting Glocks for years and years using factory barrels. Recently he had some FTF problems but they were not due to the ammo. He finally diagnosed and fixed the problems.

"We" had a major problem with the 9mm he reloaded for my Glocks because of primers not being seated properly. My Glocks did NOT like high primers at all! So now I shoot only 9mm factory ammo. He still shoots .45 and .40 reloads.

Do not use uncoated lead bullets in a Glock. I think some people buy after market barrels so they can use uncoated bullets, though.

We never, ever use reloads in our carry guns.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The lead bullets in a Glock barrel are fine "if" the bullet is well fitted to the barrel. If you send them down the barrel sized the same as your copper jacketed bullets you are probably going to lead foul the barrel. The only way to tell what size to make them is to slug the barrel. I load for my sons Glocks with lead. In the 9mm I use a .356 bullet, the copper jacketed measure .354. Both bullets are clean and accurate. But instead of paying over .11 cents each for copper jacketed I'm pouring my own from scrap lead for just under .03 cents each. I use a hard lead alloy and water drop the bullets to harden them further. I've not had any problems with lead bullets in Glock barrels for over 10 years. BUT I'm careful to fit the bullet to each barrel. DR

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    I know that shooting anything other than "factory ammo" voids my warranty on a Glock.

I read lots of warning talking about the dangers of shooting reloads out of my factory G35 barrel. Some of them are about lead clogging the rifling, some are about the pologanol rifling, and some are about the poor case support causing lowouts or bulged cases.

What are everyones thoughts about these and any other concerns? I really like the idea of having my own round in the quantities that will allow me to shoot ALOT.
    It only voids your warranty if you tell them!

Here is some good info on cast through a Glock The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Using the right metal won't hurt it, however if its on your mind then you will loose confidence when you shoot it, spend the $100 bucks on a Lonewolf barrel to put your mind at ease.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Yeah, I avoided handloading the 40 S&W for years because the common internet wisdom always said unsupported chambers, weird rifling, etc. in a 40 S&W Glock would all lead to inevitable mayhem and carnage.

Finally got tired of spending money on factory 40 S&W ammo and now have fired about 1,000 carefully handloaded fmj rounds through my Glock with its standard Glock barrel.

I'm no expert, but seems to me the big issue is keeping pressure within specs. That means being careful about the bullets, cases, powder, overall length, clean barrel, and generally just not being stupid. I discard cases that look even remotely questionable, I use only fmj or plated bullets, I'm meticulous about handloading methods, I only use published load recipes, and I never push to max loadings. Zero issues.

I've also learned that I can get 40 S&W brass dirt cheap at a couple of local ranges. One has so much 40 brass that they sell it by the pound.

For what it's worth, I like Power Pistol powder and Zero brand bullets the best in my 40.

IIRC I think all gun manuals will claim that reloaded ammo will void the warranty.I've reloaded for years and cast my own lead bullets,if in doubt buy an aftermarket drop in barrel you can safely shoot lead out of,I reload most pistol calibers I shoot for about .06 cents a cartridge using cast lead bullets,Copper Jacketed bullets will run you a minimum of .07 on up before you figure in powder primers etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Is the concern of Glock's silly rifling causing problems real? Yes. Is it likely to be a problem for you? No. Like most things, a small chance of something going wrong is very well known and becomes a bigger deal than it is.

Would I shoot lead through my Glocks? No, I wouldn't. I'm OK with paying more to eliminate the possibility of a problem. That doesn't make me any more or less right than someone that shoots only lead through their pistol.

The chamber support is only an issue if you're using problem brass or you load to too high of a pressure. Same issues exist whether you're shooting reloads or factory new ammunition.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have never had an issue with handloading for Glocks.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think the primary concern about shooting reloads in Glocks came from earlier model .40s. I shoot lead reloads (target loads, not hyped-up max) and have no issues with the Glock barrel. I also have a Storm Lake barrel which seems to have identical rifling and doesn't perform as well. Swapping out the OEM barrel will not get around voiding the warranty--you're still shooting reloads in the Glock. My Sig and S&W owners' manuals state the same warning.

I pick up range brass, including .40s and .357 SIGs and have yet to see any visible "Glock bulges." But like anything else in life, do what makes you feel most comfortable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My shooting partner shot lead reloads his G35 in steel matches for over 2 years before he switched to an aftermarket barrel. No KBs, no awful leading, and no rigorous maintenance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you all for the valuable input and info. I am meticulous at powder measure, seat dept, overall length and case inspection so I am confident with your info that I can do so safely. But I do think an aftermarket, maybe even ported, barrel is in my future even if I start loading before them.

I have enjoyed reloading for high power rifles because of the accuracy I can get with meticulous loads. So, I look forward to the same with my pistol although I wont be able to make touching groups at 300 yds.

Awesome to have such a team to rely on for Info, opinions, and real life experience.

Merry Christmas

For lead, how it's sized is the most important thing. I've shot lead out of a lot of Glocks of all calibers just fine with zero leading, but some bullets did lead, and some of those pretty badly. Sized right you shouldn't have much problem, but keep an eye on excessive leading.

Newer (last 5 years or so?) Glock barrels have better support than older models. But a good aftermarket barrel like a KKM will still have better support. Plus I find traditional rifling easier to clean lead out of than polygonal rifling, which is another benefit of a good quality barrel.

I've shot thousands of .40's out of Glocks and never the first problem. I always full length size them with a Lee die and sometimes I'll even pass them through the bulge buster kit they offer.

Congrats on the 35, it's one of my favorite models. From plinking rounds to serious full house rounds capable of 10mm ballistics (180gr @ 1300 fps), it does it all.

Links