Difference between Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p

This is a discussion on Difference between Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are two different Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p rounds. One normal, one short barrel. Besides being said to be designed for short barrels, what ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By brocktice
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By brocktice

Thread: Difference between Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p

  1. #1
    Member Array fallhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    56

    Difference between Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p

    There are two different Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p rounds. One normal, one short barrel. Besides being said to be designed for short barrels, what is the difference? What makes them "designed for a short barrel"?

    Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,125
    Two different powders. If you shoot a standard round in a short barrel, there is unburned powder when the bullet exits the barrel which gives the big flash. Short barrel rounds usually have faster burning powder with less muzzle flash.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

    U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,534
    Here's the quote from Speer about their "Short Barrel Personal Protection" ammunition:
    At one time, packing a snub-nosed
    revolver or compact semi-auto meant
    sacrificing performance. It also
    limited ammunition selection. Speer’s
    successful introduction of Short
    Barrel® ammunition has changed
    that. It is designed to work in barrels
    as short as 2 inches and both law
    enforcement and private citizens have
    found these loads very impressive.
    They’re designed to kick less while
    achieving reliable expansion and
    performance
    at a variety
    of distances
    and velocities.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,273
    In the 45 ACP gold dots, the short barrel bullets have a cylindrical, flat-bottomed cavity, while the normal gold dots have a conical cavity (this is in addition to the correct info about powder differences above).

    AFAIK this is not the case with 9mm. I have the 124gr +P short-barrel gold dots for my M&P 9c, and they have conical cavities.
    patri0t likes this.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Here's the quote from Speer about their "Short Barrel Personal Protection" ammunition:
    Interesting. I think I will try the short barrel 124 gr + P's in my Kahr CM9. Running 147 gr. JHP Gold Dots in it now.

    If they reduce recoil and muzzle flash I am all for that.

    I have some other standard barrel length (4") 9MM's I can use the 147 Gr Gold Dot's in.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,747
    If you do try it, please let me know where you're getting it. I'm having trouble finding some short barrel 124+P GDHP ammo at the moment.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Retired to the Heartland
    Posts
    1,007
    I got a few cases online, last summer, but they were out-of-stock they same day. Got 'short bbl' 124 gr +P in 9 & 200 gr +P in .45 also stocked-up on the newer Hornady 'CD' which have the 'thinner jackets' to allow for expansion and the bullet shape that feeds in e/thing I got for non-intermediate use.
    Besides my Win Ranger T-Series, my sidearm carry ammo is about covered in these 3 rounds (except the Cor-Bon .357Mag 110 gr lead-nosed-semi-jacketed-HPs) but, I have seen how those perform, in person... Scary, but predictable at 1500fps).
    bigpapa likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    If you do try it, please let me know where you're getting it. I'm having trouble finding some short barrel 124+P GDHP ammo at the moment.
    Looks like Midway is due to get some more soon. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain Jacketed
    GlassWolf likes this.

  10. #9
    Member Array fallhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    In the 45 ACP gold dots, the short barrel bullets have a cylindrical, flat-bottomed cavity, while the normal gold dots have a conical cavity (this is in addition to the correct info about powder differences above).

    AFAIK this is not the case with 9mm. I have the 124gr +P short-barrel gold dots for my M&P 9c, and they have conical cavities.
    Not sure I follow there.

    Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by fallhunter View Post
    Not sure I follow there.

    Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk
    I'll try and get some pictures later today.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,273
    I got some pics, but they don't photograph that well. The first one really shows it the best, I guess. Without 3D vision it's hard. From left to right these are (all gold dots) 45 ACP short barrel, 45 ACP, and 9mm short barrel. The one on the left has a flat bottom to the cavity. The other two have cone-shaped cavities. Also, on average, the opening of the short-barrel 45 ACP bullets is slightly wider at the very front than the conventional 45 ACP bullets. I don't have any normal 9mm gold dots to compare.

    IMG_20131224_141134.jpg

  13. #12
    Member Array fallhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I got some pics, but they don't photograph that well. The first one really shows it the best, I guess. Without 3D vision it's hard. From left to right these are (all gold dots) 45 ACP short barrel, 45 ACP, and 9mm short barrel. The one on the left has a flat bottom to the cavity. The other two have cone-shaped cavities. Also, on average, the opening of the short-barrel 45 ACP bullets is slightly wider at the very front than the conventional 45 ACP bullets. I don't have any normal 9mm gold dots to compare.

    IMG_20131224_141134.jpg
    I can see now. I was kind of thinking that after I was trying to picture it in my mind. I am carrying regular 124gr. +p in my Shield now.

    Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

124 gold dot p
,
124gr gold dot
,

gold dot 124 p

,
gold dot 124 p 3 barrel
,
gold dot 124gr
,
speer 9mm 124 gr. p
,
speer 9mm gold dot 124gr p
,
speer gold dot 124gr 9mm p
,

speer gold dot 9mm

,
speer gold dot 9mm 124gr
,
speer gold dot 9mm p
,
speer gold dot short barrel 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.