Ammo question.

This is a discussion on Ammo question. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just acquired a M&P 40c. Which ammo grain weight/brand would work best for its' 3.5 in barrel? Thank you for you input....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ammo question.

Ammo question.

Just acquired a M&P 40c. Which ammo grain weight/brand would work best for its' 3.5 in barrel? Thank you for you input.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Work best for????
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

If range I always say whienchester white box or eagle or pmc all decent good brands .. I think whenchister is making a combo range and defensive pack too.

For carry/HD you will get a lot of answer but the common fav rounds are hornday critical defensive , sxtp or ranger whienchester , pdx1 is good , golden sabers are nice and sper is good . Buffol bore makes hot stuff .. Bascily most any name brand is going to be fine if you can try to get a low flash powder round I know pdx1 and CD are low flash the rest too I thik

All of 'em. Every one. If a gun like an M&P, Glock, SIG, or whatever would hang up on a specific make, that gun would be headed back.

These guns pride themselves on a well rounded diet.

I run WWB or AE at the range, HST (165, 180, doesn't matter), 180 Rangers, or 165 Gold Dots for carry. Eats 'em all.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    All of 'em. Every one. If a gun like an M&P, Glock, SIG, or whatever would hang up on a specific make, that gun would be headed back.

These guns pride themselves on a well rounded diet.

I run WWB or AE at the range, HST (165, 180, doesn't matter), 180 Rangers, or 165 Gold Dots for carry. Eats 'em all.

Yep if the gun runs it use it any mordern round works

Depends

Ahhh, the often asked question of which ammo to use. The answer is always the same, it depends.

Your M&P should feed, fire, and eject any of the major brands reliably. Everything else is a matter of what you want out of a round. I find the heavier weight bullets flip less and have more of a push when compared to their lighter counter parts.(ie. 180gr gold dot vs 155gr gold dot).

The heavier bullets typically get a little better penetration out of 3.5" and shorter barrels than the light weight bullets. The lighter weights typically get better expansion due to higher velocities. Of course these differences are small. We're talking, generally, 1"-2" differences in penetration and 50 thousandths of and inch in expansion.(.050)

For self defense purposes all the major brands design their newest stuff to meet about the same penetration and expansion with very little difference due to barrel length and even less difference for bullet weight. Buy a name brand that you like the looks of their bullet when expanded and try them out. When you find one that has a recoil you like and is affordable enough that you'll practice with it from time to time, stop looking you just found your carry load. Don't over think it. It's about having a quality round that YOU can be accurate and quick with.

For range ammo find one that has a recoil that feels the about the same as your carry load and is cheap.

As for range use, I always choose the cheapest that's available on the shelf (usually Tulammo, WWB, Rem, etc.).
    For SD, again the cheapest available hollow points, after all, they'll all make a .355 hole in what they hit.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I have put more than 7000 rounds of reloaded brass ranging from Tula to Winchester through my M&P 40s. I have NEVER had a single problem with any of them. As far as self defense rounds go, I am partial to the 165gr. or 180gr. Black Hills hollow points. But, as others have mentioned above, the M&P will not be finicky with the ammo that you feed to it. It is made to be very willing to shoot what you provide. Enjoy your new gun!

VIP Member
    165 on up.
    Shoot the 155 for target, but keep HPs in the 165 and up
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

For the range, reloads. For defense I like Hornady Critical Duty

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Ammo these days... your lucky if you can find it, even luckier if you get a choice.
    StormRhydr likes this.

My m&p loves the 165 Winchester fmj for practice critical defense for carry. But it's like a fat kid it'll eat anything you give it.

Walmart and Academy in my area have had lots of Winchester white box 100 rounds lately. Around $36/box. 165 grain has worked well in shorter barrel 40.

This one will give you the best 'proven' performance for 'Personal Protection' with no intermediate obstacles: Detail Page for Part # 23962
    Also good is Hornady Critical Defense.
    These are made with 'Fast-Burning/Low/Flash Powders' for a 'short 3-3.5 inch barrel.

There are others that 'may' work well for carry, but I wouldn't be the one testing them.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

GH
    I normally shoot American Eagle 165gr FMJ or Winchester White Box 165gr at the range, Speer Gold Dot 165gr for SD. I also have Federal HST 180gr & Hornady Critical Duty 170gr SD ammo. I've experienced no problems with any of them.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links