Why one officer carries 145 rounds - policeone

This is a discussion on Why one officer carries 145 rounds - policeone within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize if this article has been posted or discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere and I feel the article contains some great info. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Why one officer carries 145 rounds - policeone

Why one officer carries 145 rounds - policeone

I apologize if this article has been posted or discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere and I feel the article contains some great info. It's been out for a little while now, but for those of you who haven't read it, it just goes to show that several hits doesn't necessarily mean your attacker is going to stop right away.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

No doubt the shooter would have died soon after (before being shot in the head), but that doesn't mean much when he is still returning fire. Something to think about.
    saigaguy, DrDP6, Yogi223 and 2 others like this.
    Romans 12:21

2. Remove Ads

See against the unstoppable opponent in old threads.
    DrDP6 and Eric357 like this.

Wow, that opened my eyes. Thanks for posting.
    DrDP6 and ArmyCop like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Good read! I always carried several extra boxes of ammo with me in the unit. A couple of times I had to dip into them to resupply officers who had expended their ammo on an incident.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    I apologize if this article has been posted or discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere and I feel the article contains some great info. It's been out for a little while now, but for those of you who haven't read it, it just goes to show that several hits doesn't necessarily mean your attacker is going to stop right away.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

No doubt the shooter would have died soon after (before being shot in the head), but that doesn't mean much when he is still returning fire. Something to think about.
    Thanks for the great post - very interesting shoot-out. Reminds me of Mas Ayoob (hope I remembered that right??) stories !

Just remember these kinds of encounters do occur but they are very rare and not something the average civilian need fret about…unless you just like to worry .

You can never figure. I never needed more than 3 rounds, despite some hairy situations in the Detroit area in the 'Bad-old-Days'.... over a 40 year career.

I remember a situation, that changed LE forever. A shootout where the perp had killed 2 FBI SAs with a .32 revolver & he was hit 32 times with 9mm and still fighting.
    IIRC, the perp was finally stopped by a 12 ga slug to the liver, but perp had terminal hits. He would have bled out without a lot of those shots, shortly.
    Main reason they went to the 10mm.
    DrDP6, CLASS3NH and bigpapa like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think an LEO should carry a more than adequate supply of ammo as he's expected to encounter less than sterling people on a regular basis, but too many CC'ers feel they need more than that to go buy a loaf of bread.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think an LEO should carry a more than adequate supply of ammo as he's expected to encounter less than sterling people on a regular basis, but too many CC'ers feel they need more than that to go buy a loaf of bread.
    Your logic eludes me. If I didn't expect to encounter less-than-sterling people, I wouldn't bother cc'ing at all.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    An encounter with a bg would be the same regardless if I was wearing a uniform or not. Wouldn't it?

I think he's trying to point out that a LEO's job is to seek out the bad guys. The rest of us would avoid them if given the opportunity.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    I think he's trying to point out that a LEO's job is to seek out the bad guys. The rest of us would avoid them if given the opportunity.
    And the bad guy's job is to seek out me, and to deprive me of that opportunity.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Tuco

Did or does anyone ever stop to think what shooting his first mag thru the windshield of his patrol car did to those bullets before contacting the body? And out of 33 rounds fired only 6 in vital areas?

Makes since to me. Big bullets didn't work, so I'm trading down to much smaller ones, lol.
    DrDP6, nechaev, Eric357 and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi223 View Post
    An encounter with a bg would be the same regardless if I was wearing a uniform or not. Wouldn't it?
    Not necessarily. You have the option of disengaging.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

This was eye-opening. I always felt "well prepared" with a total carry capacity of 35 rounds. Definitely something to consider because you don't have the luxury of picking the type of bad guy who wants to do you harm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Not necessarily. You have the option of disengaging.
    How does one disengage from, say, a home invasion?
    Tuco

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links