Newbie ammo question.

Newbie ammo question.

This is a discussion on Newbie ammo question. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still new to shooting and am looking for some clarification on something. I picked up a couple of boxes of .45acp Federal FMJ at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Newbie ammo question.

Distinguished Member

Newbie ammo question.

I'm still new to shooting and am looking for some clarification on something. I picked up a couple of boxes of .45acp Federal FMJ at Walmart today and noticed a warning about not using it with ported or compensated barrels. What is it that makes the difference? Doesn't matter for anything I own, just curious.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

That's an odd one - never saw that warning on any commercial ammo I've ever bought. Porting and compensators are used to diminish recoil and muzzle flip, and they are more effective on rounds loaded to higher pressures (like .38 Super and just about all the magnum loadings) than on the .45 ACP. The only thing that comes to mind is that ports and comps allow burnt and burning gases to exit the gun at places other then the muzzle, typically 90 degrees to the muzzle. Federal's lawyers may be concerned about bystanders on either side of the gun.
    AmmoFan01 and WrongRecroom like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's an odd one - never saw that warning on any commercial ammo I've ever bought. Porting and compensators are used to diminish recoil and muzzle flip, and they are more effective on rounds loaded to higher pressures (like .38 Super and just about all the magnum loadings) than on the .45 ACP. The only thing that comes to mind is that ports and comps allow burnt and burning gases to exit the gun at places other then the muzzle, typically 90 degrees to the muzzle. Federal's lawyers may be concerned about bystanders on either side of the gun.
    Their either concerned about bystanders or someone was injured that way and sued Federal for not placing the warning on the box.
    flintlock62 likes this.

Agree with gasmitty. Sounds like they are trying to avoid a lawsuit that is unlikely to happen anyway.

Never heard of ammo that was "compensator approved."

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    This is a real warning label:

image.jpg
    AmmoFan01 and flintlock62 like this.

Could it be loaded with a slower burning powder or something?
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member
    I've never noticed the warning either on any other brand/style. Saw the same thing on a box of Federal 9mm I bought a couple weeks ago. When I get back to the house I'll check the Winchester and Remington boxes I have.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Perhaps it might not cycle a semi auto?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I would guess that the bullets have a cheaper thinner plating and Federal's lawyers are afraid of it chipping off and hitting someone.
    Mardet65 likes this.

The Champion line of ammo is Federal's less expensive range and training ammo.
    They use a cheaper, thinly plated bullet instead of a conventional jacketed bullet.

The thin plating will strip off in a ported barrel or comp and injure someone with a flying bullet fragment. (aka, garbage ammo)
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I wouldn't want a ported barrel on a pistol anyway.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    That may be true about the plating stripping off in a ported barrel. However, plated bullets are not junk ammo. I reload with Berry's and Rainier's all the time. I don't shoot them in a ported barrel though.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    The Champion line of ammo is Federal's less expensive range and training ammo.
    They use a cheaper, thinly plated bullet instead of a conventional jacketed bullet.

The thin plating will strip off in a ported barrel or comp and injure someone with a flying bullet fragment. (aka, garbage ammo)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Perhaps it might not cycle a semi auto?
    Doesn't seem to be an issue. Shot 100 rounds of it in 9mm last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member
    Here's the warning. Isn't on my WWB, Remington UMC, or Hornady stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images

As others have said, it's from the plated bullets that Champion uses.

The other bullets are jacketed.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links