Is this true about steel case ammo?

This is a discussion on Is this true about steel case ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at a public range the other day, practicing with my Berretta 9mm. The range officer taps me on the shoulder and holds up one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Is this true about steel case ammo?

Is this true about steel case ammo?

Was at a public range the other day, practicing with my Berretta 9mm. The range officer taps me on the shoulder and holds up one of my spent casings and glares at me. I asked him what the problem is (not easy to do in a packed indoor range).

He said that firing this kind of ammo will void the warranty on the pistol in the "likely" event the bullet detonates inside the barrel. He said never use any Blazer ammo and then walked away. He also indicated it was aluminum cased, although I was under the impression it was steel cased.

Since I have a significant stock of these for putting holes in paper, now I'm nervous.

Ammo newbie here, btw, so sorry if this topic has been covered before.

2. Remove Ads

The blazer ammo Im familar with is AL cased, not steel. Which makes no difference in my book as re blowing up and voiding warranties. Thats nonsense.

I shoot steel cased out of my pistols often. I have no fears about "blowing up" my weapons as a result.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    He's full of bull--period. Projectiles don't explode. His problem is more likely that the range sells its empty brass for scrap and having steel or aluminum cases mixed in lowers the price they get unless separated, and nobody is going to take the time to sort it.

Fire away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No you have nothing to worry about, I've shot thousands of both steel and aluminum cased ammo, and never had issues, yes steel case will cause more wear on your extractor but nothing to worry about, I prefer the aluminum blazer stuff then I don't need to worry bout picking up my brass, sounds like the RO is a fool LOL... Keep shooting your ammo or if your worried you can send your ammo my way and I will use it LOL... Also I know Glock test fires their guns with aluminum cased ammo... So it won't void any warranty ...

I think the range officer must have been smoking something. I seem to have accumulated several boxes of steel/aluminum cased ammo. While I reload, I still pick put factory loads when the price is right. I take it to the range and shoot it from my autos when I don't feel like bending over to pick up my brass. That's really lazy, but that's the only reason I shoot it. It shoots just fine. My range is private and club members are expected to clean up their messes. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Thanks guys. I did read somewhere about the sorting issue after I got home. I couldn't believe they would pull a line like that, but what a jerk.

VIP Member
    It amuses me when folks declare themselves an authority, just because they work in the firearms industry.

GH
    If he didn't expressly forbid you to use the ammo then carry on. If he gives you any more crap (other than safety issues) find another range. Call first & ask them what their ammo policy is.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Shooting remanufactured or reloaded ammo can void your warranty, but I have never heard of a manufacturer who will void your warranty for shooting any factory ammo.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    the CCI blazer Alum. case stuff is great ammo. i've been shooting that stuff in every flavor gun i've owned for every caliber it was available. it's usually the most affordable of the "good" brands.

usually the steel cased stuff is that Russian Wolf stuff. for which i have serveral complaints, but blowing up guns or voiding warranties has never been one of them. it runs dirty, it smells terrible. they put some sort of lacquer or locktite or something on the casing (i guess to seal the case?) that tends to flake off and it's even dirtier for THAT. i also ONE TIME me and a buddy bought a case of russian wolf .223's, and maybe 30-40 times out of that thousand rounds, the spent primers were popping right out of the backs of the casings and falling down in the actions of the guns!! (SAFETY NOTE: if this happens to you, you should quit shooting, and throw away or try to return or whatever, that lot of ammo, if one of those primers had come loose during a high pressure event one of us could've eaten a bolt assembly for lunch. we kept shooting cuz we're rednecks, ammo's expensive, and we like to live dangerously. but i DO NOT recommend anyone to do this. and if it happened again to day, i would quit.)

Aluminum cased ammo is a matte silver/gray color. i don't know of any factory loading it OTHER that speer/CCI.

Steel cased ammo is almost always an olive drab color, just about like old military equipment. others make it, you can especially find old surplus ammo in steel case, though it's becoming rarer and the proliferation of the Wolf stuff means most steel case you run into will probably be Wolf. you can also usually see the red(common) or blue(less commmon) lacquer/locktite they put on it. for the record, the primer thing is the only real "problem" i've had with the Wolf stuff. and i will gladly shoot it all day cuz the price is right, it just takes about twice as long to clean your gun after shooting that gunky stuff.

and of course brass is brass. good old reloadable brass.

...stupid range "officer". i'd deliberatly bring a mixed bag of alum case AND steel case and shoot em all, then kick em around the floor to really stir em in with the brass. if he was nicer about it i'd bring a casing catcher or pick them up myself. but you reap what you sow...

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    He's either terribly uninformed or flat out lying. I would try to take my business elsewhere, and write a letter to the owner explaining why.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; December 31st, 2013 at 10:37 PM.

VIP Member
    The bottom line is not all RSOs are created equally. Plenty love to dispense advice but not all of them know what they are talking about.
    SIGP250 and msgt/ret like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

He is nuts just wants your left behind brass, steel anit worth nothing.
    Been shooting steel in my weapons for years . Not my first choice but some time it just has to be.
    And contrary to the internet it has not harmed any of my AR's either.
    dls, Aceoky, StormRhydr and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I think I might ask to see the documentation to back up his claim.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I agree with the others who said he doesn't want to have to sort your cases from the brass cases. They sell used brass for a side profit. Aluminum and steel cases can't be reloaded and takes too much of their time to sort. Their problem, not yours.
    SIGP250 and dls like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links