Remington HTP 380 Auto JHP

This is a discussion on Remington HTP 380 Auto JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tested some of Remington’s High Terminal Performance 380 ammunition out today. It is a 88 gr JHP. It looks like a repackage of the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 3 Post By itschuck

Thread: Remington HTP 380 Auto JHP

Remington HTP 380 Auto JHP

I tested some of Remington’s High Terminal Performance 380 ammunition out today.

It is a 88 gr JHP. It looks like a repackage of the same ammo Remington sold in 100 round value packs as just JHP.
    It was fired from a Bersa Thunder Combat with a 3 ˝ barrel.

I shot a full box of 50 to test it and had no problems, I also loaded a couple mixed magazines of WWB 95 FMJ FP, UMC 95 FMJ and the Remington’s, and the Bersa had no troubles with any.

Using gallon water jugs for penetration and expansion tests, 1 round presumably failed to expand (I did not recover it) and penetrated through 4 jugs.
    The rest were recovered in the second jugs, and showed textbook expansion.

tests I have seen online usually show Remington 88gr ammo failing to expand. I do not have a chronograph and could not test the speed, but I suspect the longer barrel of the Bersa vs. the short LCP length usually used gets them up fast enough to expand. They did feel “zippier” than the Winchester hardball.

Accuracy was good with around 2” groups at 7 yards offhand.

380 is usually a tradeoff between expansion and penetration, and this is no different, The FMJ rounds easily punch through 4 jugs every time. So the question is, if the trade off in penetration is worth the larger diameter expansion.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    nice essay, thanks!! you should fold up an old pair of jeans and shoot through those into the jugs to see how it handles heavy clothing.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

With a 380 I would go for penetration..meaning FMJ.
    mook012, 10thmtn and flintlock62 like this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

With my Sig 232 I have changed my ammunition load to alternate from FMJ to JHP on every other round for CC. The 232 is a back up for the 9mm or the .45 that is my primary weapon that I am carrying that day. I don't just have one cc with me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    So the question is, if the trade off in penetration is worth the larger diameter expansion.
    Neat test. Thanks.

I reckon that it'd depend on what one is looking for.

Some folks want penetration on the 'deep' side, 12"-18" at least, to ensure that CNS/vascular can be reached and damaged to bring about incapacitation. Others want a round that expands and don't care that the vast majority of .380 JHPs that do expand will not make it very far past the 10" mark if at all.

Once I start contemplating calibers under the .38Special/9mm threshold, I opt for FMJ because I want the 'reach' that a deep penetrating FMJ offers, especially against heavily-muscled, larger-framed, or obese assailants. For my needs, if I am to carry a .380, the trade-off is not worth it -I'd stick with ball in the .380.
    Last edited by 481; January 2nd, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I think that penetration is more important also, I am carrying the Bersa with one of the JHP in the chamber and 8 of the WWB FMJ FPs in the magazine. Those punch through 5 gallon jugs easily.
    After watching ShootingTheBull410’s 380 ammo tests, I really want to try out the Hornady XTP and Fiocchi Extrema rounds. If they perform that well out of a short Taurus TCP they ought to be great out of a longer 3 ˝ barrel.
    The Remington 88gr’s were all I could find locally other than hardball, and even that was few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    After watching ShootingTheBull410’s 380 ammo tests, I really want to try out the Hornady XTP and Fiocchi Extrema rounds. If they perform that well out of a short Taurus TCP they ought to be great out of a longer 3 ˝ barrel.
    The Remington 88gr’s were all I could find locally other than hardball, and even that was few and far between.
    Yeah, agree on the better performance from the longer barrel. As for the Remmie 88gr JHPs, the ammo market is a real pain-in-the-you-know-what and you gotta take take what you can get.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Links