What Defines A Wildcat Cartridge?

This is a discussion on What Defines A Wildcat Cartridge? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I'm still championing the .50GI round ( http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/ ) for a couple reasons. First, they've come out with defensive ammunition which is faster ...

Thread: What Defines A Wildcat Cartridge?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hello All,

I'm still championing the .50GI round ( http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/ ) for a couple reasons. First, they've come out with defensive ammunition which is faster than when I last looked: It's faster in heavier bullet weights than any .45acp I've seen, but still very controllable from all accounts (google ".50GI ammuntion").

While I cannot hope to own one from the parent factory due to cost, the cartridge still seems like a good idea, especially if you don't know if you'll be attacked by man or beast.

Additionally, many believe that Taurus will be the salvation of this cartridge, if they do chamber it.

This is beginning to look like the 10mm deal: a relatively small group of vocal proponents who believe that the idea is a good one.

I was told that this thing was a wildcat cartridge however. I've always thought of wildcat cartridges as being those which are not commercially marketed and must be fired from custom chambered guns.

Am I wrong? What makes a wildcat cartridge gents?

Thanks,

Josh <><

wildcat must not be loaded by a commercial loader remington/winchester/cci/hornady ya get my point

And also a wildcat is not spec'd by saami

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    First of all >.........nobody go crazy on me. This is simply MY opinion.

My first question would be....WHY ??? Why do we need a .50 outta a 1911.(see my other post)

Also as Bud sez in his above.

The .50Gastrointestineally Incompetent is not a step above anything. It is trying to reinvent something that doesn't need reinventing. A bigger hole at slower velocities. The case is limited by the weapon that it will be chambered in. The power is very limited by the case.(both size and strength)

Then we go thru the whole reliability thing. For the people that like the 1911's for the thin grips(single stack) that will change somewhat. Is the .50 a true .500" or a .510" ?? How many bullets are/will be available for it ?? The range of bullets will definately have to be on the lighter side of the caliber. The sectional density will be bottom of scale as will the BC. (granted this will be a short range cariridge)(it had better be)

The recoil will be manageable but similar to a .45+P+(?). Double taps will be nonexistant. What about overpressure/fireball ?? Will this be a daylight hours only weapon ??

Maybe if Taurus would lengthen the case by .1" and make it rimmed,then chamber it in a revo, it possibly could have some hunting potential(IF it's a true .500") Taurus could name it the .500MINI or how about the .500(-P).

I would suspect that Bud would trade his "X" frame in on one of these. --------

Then maybe not. --------

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    RSSZ,

You might copy this over to the other thread, but to answer your questions, from what I've read, the round is a soft shooter, able to be rapidly fired, comparable to a soft shooting .45acp or a .45acp +P, depending upon the load.

As well, the 1911 is just that: A 1911. The external dimensions are exactly the same and most parts will interchange with your .45acp chambered 1911.

Josh <><

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    [QUOTE=RSSZ;255576]First of all >.........nobody go crazy on me. This is simply MY opinion.

My first question would be....WHY ??? Why do we need a .50 outta a 1911.(see my other post)

QUOTE]

Josh if you want it go for it. It seems like you make a little more Bling Bling than I do but if that is what will make you smile this Christmas I SAY GO FOR IT.

The only issue I have personally if this dosn't concern you then take it only at face value of words in my opinion. I would not carry one because I wouldn't want to have to explain a jury of 12 idoit peers why I had a .50 caliber handgun as a personal defense gun. Same reason I won't carry a gun with a threaded barrel, or use one of my suppressed guns as a home defense gun. You and I both know that having a suppressed gun would make it easier for us the victim to not loose our hearing, or blind you in the dark if somebodies breaking down your bedroom door, but I don't think a jury would see it that way. I think the same can be accomplished with cheaper and much more reliable platforms. I mean its a good marketing tool by the gun makers, because my self included, wants to by the latest and the greatest. Thats why I am into Suppressors. I buy these things so people at the range go WOW can you actually OWN that, or the opposite the big BOOMER. Thats some James Bond right there. I get a kick out of it, and it only boostes some little of my
    ego

I know alot of people say well the gun dosn't matter in court. Well I kind of think differn't I feel I have good adequate training to respond to any thug breaking down my door. Most thugs probably don't shoot and probably arent' to be very knowledgable in how to respond to somebody with a gun. I probably have at least a one up chance. Now if the guy is better trained than I am it won't really matter what gun I have at that point. You have only a few seconds to respond and win a fight. The lawyers will have years to rip apart every decsion you made no matter if its equipment based or training based.

Surviving the fight is the biggest part. You must survive as well as your family, but to me its only the begining of a fight thats about to start.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; December 18th, 2006 at 06:49 PM.

Naw no tradeing the 500 for me to a mini i could laod it that way if i wanted ..

Links