cool calibers

cool calibers

This is a discussion on cool calibers within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not know about other people, but I have always been especially interested, for no logical reason whatsoever, in a couple of calibers. Are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cool calibers

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

cool calibers

I do not know about other people, but I have always been especially interested, for no logical reason whatsoever, in a couple of calibers. Are they especially great? I doubt it. My criteria are unknown- off the beaten track, used in guns I admire from days gone by, who knows? I usually do not even use them. They are:
    1. 44 special
    2. 32 acp
    3. 32 HR and 32 sw long
    Now, I mostly shoot 9 mm and 38/357, of course, and I have no gun chambered for 44 special, and rarely shoot 32 of any sort. My carry gun is a chiefs-special 38. So, why do I care about these second-tier calibers? Why are they intriguing? They are certainly not bad calibers for certain uses- the 44 sp has a real following, and the 32s have their fans, at least for some purposes. But none of these is really necessary, nor especially practical, in a world with 9 mm and 357 and 45 acp, etc. Ammo is more expensive, harder to get, offers less choice, etc.
    Is anyone else like this? Or, as my wife tells me, do I just "have issues"??
    God Bless, and Merry Christmas. Notice I did not say "Happy Holidays".
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    Well - I don't get too excited in the .32 camp altho I would like to evaluate the NAA .32.

.44 spl tho - yes - rather a nice compromize cal - probably a less traumatic way to throw a 240 grainer than with full-house loads as mag - and yet very capable of good results. .41 mag is a bit the same tho I suspect hotter to feel with recoil.

I used to shoot long range with my old Redhawk and my load finished up as 8.5 of red dot pushing a 250 Keith SWC - very parabolic trajectory at 300 yards but it grouped! This was I felt a sorta .44 spl load in strength and was very comfortable. Never tried it on wetpack or anything but reckon it would have been a fairly potent defensive round.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You know, I am a little bit the same way. I carried a .44 Special for a while, just because it was different. Also carried a Ruger SA chambered for .30 carbine for a little while (VERY loud....VERY bright muzzle flash...NO recoil...odd, odd combination).

Right now, I've got a 10mm auto and .41 mag snubby.

Hey, EVERYONE's got a Glock 9mm, right?

for cool calibers from days gone by the first one I think of is a black powder .45-70 ...but then I guess that doesn't fit in very well with a CCW website heh

I like the .32 ACP just because my Grandma has a Colt 1903 Hammerless in that caliber that I get to shoot from time to time and i really like that pistol, although the ammo tends to be more expensive than my .45ACP rounds. How about a .44 ball and cap pistol? I got one of those and it is always fun to take out and shoot and see everyones head turn with the first shot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    you are guys after my own heart. randytulsa2- i thought about buying that same pistol due to the 30 carbine chambering. wow. buckeye07- i have a tomcat i bought just to shot 32, and one of my shooting buddies has an old colt in 32 i love to plink with.
    i think i am not the only one interested in somewhat oddball rounds. i have a snubbie in 22 mag, for instance. boy, that is a useful gun..
    God Bless the oddballs
    Last edited by chiefs-special-guy; December 17th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

My .44spl carry gun when I'm hunting, camping, and hiking (open carry):

I've thought about getting a Charter Arms in .44spl, but have just never had the excess funds for a gun that I probably wouldn't use all that much (if ever).

Senior Moderator
    I have always like .38 S&W. My grandfathers old pistol is a top break S&W snubnose in .38 S&W. I've always liked that little round, and the .45 Colt.

During my travels on the Inter-web some time back, I ran across a site of a man that made wildcat cartridges. He had a 50BMG case necked down for a .22 slug. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. He specifically said that the cartridge was never intended to be shot (there was no powder in the case). He merely wanted to illustrate what can be done with modern cartridges. While looking for a picture to show everyone (which BTW, I did not find) I did find pictures that some of you may find interesting.

the round to the left is a .25acp case necked down for a caliber .10 bullet. The round in the middle is your standard .22 long rifle, and I have no idea what kind of case that is (could it be .22 as well?) necked down to .10

Having carried and used a lot of different combinations over 30 years I always like the .41. Didnt plan to but back when Dirty Harry was showing his Mod. 29 on screen several of us went and bought one . Shooting was fun and I began to notice that I always left the range with less ammo and empty brass than seemed right. Im kinda slow about suspecting friends and about a year later I bought a Mod.57. Looked just like the .44 but was a .41. To this day I have never been short on brass or ammo. I am really greatful that Elmer Kieth and a few others kept dinking around with oddball calibers that really didnt catch on at the time.I have 5 .41's now and shoot when I can and yes that has a really warm kick to it.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=

Hey, EVERYONE's got a Glock 9mm, right?[/QUOTE]
    No, no

I dig the 44 sp and the 41 mag and 10mm course i really havent met a caliber i dont like well except the 40 short and weak

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I love shooting .44 spl in my 629. It's a hoot to see how how accurately I can unload the wheel at full tilt.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I've got a 32 H&R Magnum and I really like it. It is more accurate than my .38 (both S&W j-frame snubs), for me anyway. I considered a .41 for ever, and love .22 magnums. My favorite caliber is..................whatever I need (want) at the time.

44spl is my friend. I shoot my Charter snubby better than everything else I own. Just got my 2nd revolver in 44 spl (love that C&R),an old chrome plated S&W 3". Searching for ammo is part of the fun,especially when you find the right deal. I got some Silvertips a few months ago f/$13 and just got some Hornady f/$11 off the net.

And no,no glocks,not one. No 40 short & weak either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links