Multiple FTF/Double feeds with .357sig over the last couple of days.

Multiple FTF/Double feeds with .357sig over the last couple of days.

This is a discussion on Multiple FTF/Double feeds with .357sig over the last couple of days. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Tuesday after receiving my .357sig conversion barrel from KKM Precision to put into my M&P 40c. I went to the range to try out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Multiple FTF/Double feeds with .357sig over the last couple of days.

Thumbs down Multiple FTF/Double feeds with .357sig over the last couple of days.

On Tuesday after receiving my .357sig conversion barrel from KKM Precision to put into my M&P 40c. I went to the range to try out the new barrel and the .357sig ammo that I had purchased, this would be my first time shooting .357sig.

I brought 100rds of Speer Lawman and 50rds of Federal HST (25rds fired) to the range, The FMJ rounds fed flawlessly through the barrel and were accurate. Once I was done with Speer I loaded up 25rds of the HST and proceeded to send rounds down range. Then next thing I know I had double feed, so I cleared it and fired again, then another FTF and another.

I experienced at least 5-7 FTF out of 25rds of HST, I had to pull the mag out and go through the motions. Prior to this I have never experienced any problems with HST rounds with my .40 from 135-180gr.

So today I decided to go back to the range and finish off the remaining 125rds (250 originally).

50-Speer
    75-HST

Well there was one double feed with the Speer and once again multiple feed failures with the HST. I think it may be the fouling of the barrel feed ramp after I fire a certain amount of rounds.

Don't know what the problem is and I really wanted to try the .357sig and have the option of loading it or the .40. I'm gonna order some Ranger and other HP's to see if the results are the same.

Interesting. Throughout thousands of rounds, many of which were the two brands you've mentioned, I've not had a single problem. This was/is through a G31 and G32.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Interesting. Throughout thousands of rounds, many of which were the two brands you've mentioned, I've not had a single problem. This was/is through a G31 and G32.
    The .40 s&w HST's absolutely no problem, but the .357sig I just don't get it.

I don't see how I could go through 100rds of fmj on Tuesday with no problem and then have a single FTF today. I don't believe I was limp wristing, lol.

The .357sig may not be an option after all.

Could it be the barrel?

Double feeds (two rounds at a time) point to the magazine. Is this same mag the one you shoot the 40 cal stuff with in your M&P? Is the 40 cal mag normally able to load .357 Sig too?
    Bad Bob and StormRhydr like this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Double feeds (two rounds at a time) point to the magazine. Is this same mag the one you shoot the 40 cal stuff with in your M&P? Is the 40 cal mag normally able to load .357 Sig too?
    M&P uses the same mag for .40S&W & .357SIG & are even marked with those 2 calibers.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    M&P uses the same mag for .40S&W & .357SIG & are even marked with those 2 calibers.
    I never owned an M&P so I was unaware how the mags were designed.

It still sounds like a magazine issue to me. If the OP has a second mag he should try that and see if it works any better. I had a CZ-75 9mm mag that double fed too. I disposed of that mag and never had the problem since.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Sarg80
    Mauser HSc BUG

Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    I never owned an M&P so I was unaware how the mags were designed.

It still sounds like a magazine issue to me. If the OP has a second mag he should try that and see if it works any better. I had a CZ-75 9mm mag that double fed too. I disposed of that mag and never had the problem since.
    Ill try that if I can remember what magazine it is.

Im not going to give up on the .357sig just yet, ill keep note on the magazines next time.

They load my .40 rounds just fine though.

Could the conversion barrel feed ramp be affecting the magazine such that it double feeds? Make sure the feed ramp is not pressing on the mag follower of the inserted magazine. That could induce a double feed as well as bent mag lips could too.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Sarg80
    Mauser HSc BUG

Like donp says double feeds are indicative of the magazine.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

KKM barrels have caused problem from what I hear . You know s&w makes a 357 sig barrel for 40 cal guns you can just drop in?

I know as I have one if you need it

Also what mag you using . Since you are in CA are they full size mags blocked to only hold 10 rounds or are they factory 10 round mags .. If they are blocked mags that could be a problem ..

Double feed sounds like a mag problme the other a barrel problems but I am not a gunsmith

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Could just be the barrel breaking in. I had a Lone Wolf 40-9mm Conversion and for the first 200-300 rounds there was definitely some malfunctions after I ran it a little it seemed to shave off the burs....I just bought a KKM barrel for .45 for my G21. It to needed a little break in time.

American Rifleman - Breaking in a Gun
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I know of one 1911 maker that if you call them won't really even address you until you run about 1,000 rounds through their gun. In todays market that's $400 in ammo. Many folks don't hit that mark for 10 years.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    KKM barrels have caused problem from what I hear . You know s&w makes a 357 sig barrel for 40 cal guns you can just drop in?

I know as I have one if you need it

Also what mag you using . Since you are in CA are they full size mags blocked to only hold 10 rounds or are they factory 10 round mags .. If they are blocked mags that could be a problem ..

Double feed sounds like a mag problme the other a barrel problems but I am not a gunsmith
    Im using factory 10rd mags, so it could be the magazine.

But why would a magazine work with one caliber and have problems with another when its designed to take both?

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Im using factory 10rd mags, so it could be the magazine.

But why would a magazine work with one caliber and have problems with another when its designed to take both?

It should not esp with 40/337 sig .. I just ask as blocked mags can be done wrong ..

I dont know if this helps but pure 357 sig guns have had proplems NC cops ditcted them North Carolina Highway Patrol Ditches 2k S&W M&P .357 SIGs | The Truth About Guns

To me I would clean and lube the sucker esp the conversion barrel .. If you can get a new mag or borow on and a box of differnt ammo and see whappen happens ..

To me it sounds like the mags or the barrel is the problem imop as a non gun smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links