when considering defense ammo.. - Page 2

when considering defense ammo..

This is a discussion on when considering defense ammo.. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kaligula A lot of training would help you survive.A lot. Choose ammo the strongest you can control,and practise a lot.I do belive ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaligula View Post
    A lot of training would help you survive.A lot. Choose ammo the strongest you can control,and practise a lot.I do belive you would be very well protected with 127grs SXT. From my perspective,it is No.1 in 9mm.
    Good post! Welcome aboard!!!

kpw
    $1.60 a shot? There is no such thing as a magic bullet. What advantages does it give you for more than 3 times the cost of standard defensive ammo? Stopping power? Not really enough to matter, it's still just a handgun. POI will more than likely be different than your training ammo. Recoil impulse...different. Most probably can't afford to shoot enough of it to count on it being reliable. For me, reliablility comes first. Reasonable accuracy, second. Bullet design, third. If I were limited to FMJ, I can't say I'd be happy about it but it wouldn't keep me up at night, either. My first priority is shot placement above all.

For me I don't buy the arguments over what type of bullet, caliber, etc in regard to stopping power. For me the number one is shot placement. If I hit a BG in the arm or the leg with any bullet, caliber, brand, etc. it is not going to do much in regard to stopping power(or miss the BG entirely and hit the floor, wall, fish tank...) However if I hit the BG between the eyes twice, once again I don't think bullet, caliber, brand, matters too much. Just my own personal opinion on this topic.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berettaguy View Post
    would one be more concerned about muzzle velocity or muzzle energy?
    what is it that creates stopping power in defense rounds..cal.,velocity, energy...or is it a conbination of all three?
    None of the above as a first consideration - the most important thing is a round that functions reliably in your gun. The latest, greatest gee-whiz hollowpoint does you no good if it does not feed reliably.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    For me I don't buy the arguments over what type of bullet, caliber, etc in regard to stopping power. For me the number one is shot placement. If I hit a BG in the arm or the leg with any bullet, caliber, brand, etc. it is not going to do much in regard to stopping power(or miss the BG entirely and hit the floor, wall, fish tank...) However if I hit the BG between the eyes twice, once again I don't think bullet, caliber, brand, matters too much. Just my own personal opinion on this topic.
    Howdy!

I agree 100% that shot placement is by far the most critical aspect of "stopping power". However, since that is a "given", I also want the best performing ammunition as well. A HP that fails to expand leaves a fairly unremarkable wound channel when compared to one that does - so I want to stack the deck in my favor both ways - intensive training to allow precise shot placement, and the best possible ammo to maximize the effects of that training.

Quote Originally Posted by ccloud43 View Post
    Here is something i found on a site which is about handgun wounding and was written by the FBI. It was written in 1989 but i feel it still contains some useful information.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
    That is a VERY good read, and I urge everyone here to read it. According to this report, MAGSAFE-45acp- 68gr@2200 fps- designed to fragment = WORTHLESS!
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Arrow My sweet litlle beasts !

This Im cariing when doing BG services.
    I test fire it on the car glass,car door,car wheel,house entrance door,bullet proff vest 3a,and balistic gelatine.
    From my Glock 17 it is 1344 ft/s velocity and it does penetrate the 3a vest.
    It also penetrate everything that whose shot,and on balistic gelatine,it is not punching but cuting a whole of 15mm and penetrate 12".
    If it is not so hard to get this bullets,I would made them for my 357 also.The weight in 9mm is 80grs and in 357 is 80 and 90.
    It would be great to make them in 357,in the level of 1550-1600 ft/s.
    I can recomend them for every security option because it have some advantage over the usual FMJ or JHP ammo.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Kaligula; March 14th, 2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Gramatic mistakes

Is that some kind of 9mm sabot round or something?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Arrow Eliminator,Sentry,Monad bullet

No,it is improved version of the THV.
    It is constructed from the same guy who made a THV but 10 years later.
    Now it have that specific disc,and exept very good penetration where neded this ammo also have very strong wounding sistem : cuting. Imagine how much and how fast is organizam bleeding when you cut of some 15mm of the live tisue and 12" inch deep.
    This is not the only wounding sistem,it is also lite bullet with prety big speed.
    When it hits the meat,it is spreading his energy around the bullet path.
    So it have crushing,streching and cuting mechanism,and It make my happy,because,I have only 1 life,and will not give it away without very strong,posibly very deadly resistance.
    Attached Images

#1 Reliability in my platform

#2 Accuracy in my platform

#3 Performance of ammo
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by berettaguy View Post
    ...what is it that creates stopping power in defense rounds...
    1. shot placement
    2. penetration
    3. expansion
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links