Ammo at Walmart--ZQ1???

Ammo at Walmart--ZQ1???

This is a discussion on Ammo at Walmart--ZQ1??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rode to Stroudsburg, PA from NYC today to check out the ammo at a few of the local Walmarts in PA. I hit 4 ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 4 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By BurgerBoy
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By VaGentleman
  • 1 Post By ugh762x39

Thread: Ammo at Walmart--ZQ1???

Question Ammo at Walmart--ZQ1???

I rode to Stroudsburg, PA from NYC today to check out the ammo at a few of the local Walmarts in PA. I hit 4 different stores and their shelves were pretty bare. I managed to pick up some American Eagle 9mm 115 gr FMJ for $13.97 for a box of 50. They had a three box limit. They had a lot of ZQ1 ammo in all sorts of calibres. I picked up one box of 9mm, just out of curiousity. The boxes said it was made in Turkey and it was made to NATO specifications. The box doesn't say how many grains, but from other sources, the 9mm is supposed to be 115 grain. It cost $21.97 for a box of 50 FMJ. I have read a little about this ammo and some people like it, except for the prices. Anybody here have any experience/info about this ammo? I also hit a local Sports Authority in Easton, PA and they had Winchester 45 230 gr FMJ White Box for $51.99 for a box of 100 and Magtech 38 Spl 158 gr FMJ-flat nose for $19.99 for a box of 50 ( No Limit ). I'm sure the prices in PA will go up once the new ammo laws go into effect in NY State on 1/15/14. ---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

I've been wondering about it myself. I was surprised it didn't list the bullet weight but I figured it was probably 115gr, or maybe 124gr. They also have ZQ1 5.56 ammo. My local WM is pretty well stocked nowadays but I'd like to try some just to see how it is.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Shot this stuff earlier today (150 rounds, 9mm), picked up from Wal Mart. No problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
    The box doesn't say how many grains, but from other sources, the 9mm is supposed to be 115 grain. Anybody here have any experience/info about this ammo?
    If it's truly NATO spec, it's 124 gr. Very surprised that they don't show bullet weight on the box. Heck, I'm surprised it's even legal not to!

I've seen that brand in many calibers at WW lately. It may (or may not) be decent ammo, but there's no way I'm paying their prices when there's Federal or American Eagle sitting next to it considerably cheaper. If it's all they have, that's different.

I think they're belatedly trying to cash in on the ammo shortage, but around here, you can find pretty much anything you want now as long as it's not .22!
    StormRhydr and Eric357 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What are the cases and jackets made of?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

21 bucks a box for 9mm... I will pass
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Yeah, that's a bit pricey.

Local WM's here have been selling PPU ammo which is made in Serbia. $13 something a box. Picked up a couple to try out this coming weekend.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    PPU shoots fine. I have shot it several times with no problems at all.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    What are the cases and jackets made of?
    I checked it all out on their web site a couple of months ago. Brass cased, and I think normal jacketed bullets. Ie not steel core, IIRC.

BUT, its way over priced.

If an ammo box says "9mm NATO" it means it is 9mm FMJ 124 gr +P (or parabellum), by definition, and should have (at least) the NATO 'cross sign' on the head stamp.

Also, Federal makes "American Eagle" as their down-loaded 'Range-Grade' ammo, similar to WWB being the companies 'down-loaded' 'Range-Grade' ammo. (both are good)
    Remington has 'UMC' as their 'Range-Grade' ammo, but it is prob at the bottom of the barrel of the Major Brands.

The Tula, Silver Bear, PPU (aka Privi-Partisan), Wolf, & other Serbian junk, should really be avoided in decent firearms. Many exhaustive tests have shown they will cut a good firearm's lifespan to an average 6k rounds as opposed to 40k+ rounds.

I find it way cheaper to buy good ammo, by the case, online, even with S/H. I don't think I even know anyone who pays Wally's prices, or uses their "junk" brands.

Check HERE for current lowest prices: Find 22lr Ammo in stock | WikiArms - Live Ammo Inventory Tracking
    Pete63 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

It's been well over a year since I've been able to find any Federal Champion 9mm in Wally World. That was always my go-to ammo.

I find it way cheaper to buy good ammo, by the case, online, even with S/H. I don't think I even know anyone who pays Wally's prices, or uses their "junk" brands.

The new Ammo laws in NY State go into effect on Wednesday 1/15/14. That means we can't order online ammo any more. The Wally World stuff is still a LOT cheaper than getting ripped off by the gun shops near NYC. Yesterdays 180 mile round trip to PA for ammo saved me a ton of money, plus there's no way for Gov Cuomo or Mayor De Blasio to know how much ammo I bought. In NYC, you're only "allowed" to have two hundred rounds in your house. What they don't know, won't hurt them. ---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

The SAAMI specs for standard 9mm = 35,000 PSI. For 9mm +P (+P = higher pressure) = 38,500 PSI (+10%). The NATO round is spec at 36,500 PSI (+4.3%), placing it between the standard and +P rounds. There is no industry spec for +P+ ammo - buyer beware.
    In RE steel cased ammo. Lucky Gunner did a torutre test using AR clones ( http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/ ). Well worth the read. However, 2 things to note. Erosion is caused by heat and friction. Rifle cartridges have a lot more powder than pistol cartridges and therefore produce a lot more heat, usually in a smaller area (.22 v 9mm bore). It is easier to heat the metal to white hot in the throat. Their tests were designed to do precisely that to maximize wear. Based on that, I don't think the test results show what the average shooter can expect with his weapon and I don't think they can be extrapolated to pistols. If the life is reduced to 4,000 rounds, a shooter who fires 100 rounds a week from his AR starting today will need a new barrel in Oct. That doesn't seem to track with the real world experiences. I have a HiPoint carbine in .45 ACP. I ran a reliability test on it when I got it. The first 50 rounds through the gun were WWB 230 gr. Then I ran 4,000 rounds of Tula 230 gr through it with minimal cleaning (about every 1,000 rounds). The rifling is still sharp and clear and the accuracy is excellent. (It also has never failed - goes bang every time and chambers the next round.) Ruger (and HiPoint and others) state that steel case (and alum and brass) are good to go in their guns. To be clear, I'm not recommending it, but I'm not condemning it either. Get the facts and draw your own conclusions.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I saw it yesterday at my Walmart. When I asked about pricing, even the salesman was surprised at $22 for a box of 50.
    Instead, I bought a 100rd box WWB, 9mm, for just over $28.
    Broadus likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Links