Most effective caliber/bullet type for penetrating through a vehicle

This is a discussion on Most effective caliber/bullet type for penetrating through a vehicle within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for suggestions as to which handgun caliber and type of ammunition would be the most effective at shooting through an average car ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Most effective caliber/bullet type for penetrating through a vehicle

Most effective caliber/bullet type for penetrating through a vehicle

I am looking for suggestions as to which handgun caliber and type of ammunition would be the most effective at shooting through an average car or truck door. I spend a lot of time in St. Louis for work and most of that time is spent driving stoplight to stoplight in some very bad areas of town which I feel puts me at a higher than average risk of becoming a car-jacking victim. I know that shooting THROUGH a car door is not ideal but if it were my only option I would want to know that I have a round that will actually penetrate and not just cause me to get shot first. Presently I carry a 9mm but would not have a problem with investing in another caliber if need be. I have my magazine staggared with HP and FMJ rounds at this time. I am in no way married to 9mm and will listen to all suggestions but please give me a little reasoning behind any suggestion. Thanks for help, Jason
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure why you want to shoot thru the door. Even during a car jacking the door would be opened to get you out during the attack. If the door was closed and you fired through it, you might have a problem articulating self defense. However, your 9mm should penetrate. Most doors are just thin sheet metal. Be Safe.

VIP Member
    Personally I would go with 10MM FMJ in that situation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

that would be the FMJ, or "Ball" ammo.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Belive it or not the 32acp will go throguh a car door ( the old steel core stuff IS AP and will breach body armor /car door)

There is a guy on Youtube who does a lot of pentration test including car doors ..

FMJ round are what you are looking for for pentration .

Also note that some of the older all steel cars are pretty darn hard to pentrated .. New cars no old old ones yes

As weird as this sounds look at a judge revovler load with shot and aim for the face .. Heck of a jacker gun

OR get a m92 ak pistole or any rifle caliber pistoele that will blow a very big hole in about any thing I mean 7.62x39 is basicly 30-30

Assuming you mean a pistol round,,,,, I would vote for the 10mm
    fmj,,,, 10mm is one the best which often get passed over
    by the 45 acp crowd,,,,, but from my testing it is just as good as the 45acp with a lot
    of options for the re-loader. My 2 cents, I like both 45acp & 10mm,
    glad I do not have to chose 1 over the other,,,, I will keep both.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

Here is the vids the guy does a lot of vidos on will this round breach a door
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.

Or as other notted get a 10mm stubby glock load with underwood and there you go that should breach about anything

Course firing any gun never mind a full house 10mm glock in a closed car that is not going to be fun at all
    Kavalander and gatorbait51 like this.

HP are designed to expand when hitting water (flesh) them hitting metal will not cause them to expand... well as long as they are not those HPs with the polymer balls, ie Hornady Critical defense. Pick a good bonded HP that has passed fbi protocol.

test Event 3: Steel Two pieces of 20 gauge, hot rolled steel with a galvanized finish are set three inches apart. The steel is in six inch squares. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the rear most piece of steel. The shot is made at a distance of 10 feet measured from the muzzle to the front of the first piece of steel. Light Clothing is one layer of the above described T-shirt material and one layer of the above described cotton shirt material, and is used as indicated in all subsequent test events.

The steel used is the heaviest gauge steel commonly found in automobile doors. This test simulates the weakest part of a car door. In all car doors, there is an area, or areas, where the heaviest obstacle is nothing more that two pieces of 20 gauge steel.

I dont "want" to shoot through the door. I am just trying to think ahead. If a carjacker has a gun pointed at my face in at a stoplight and I decide that the particular situation warrants that I shoot first i want a round that will penetrate the door and then hit the carjacker if my shakey hands will not allow me to get a perfect shot.

When firing a variety of sidearms and sub-guns at junk door panels (at machine-gun shoots and similar outings), I can't recall much that won't penetrate a standard car door fairly nicely. Whether it'll have terminal performance on the other side, though, I can't say. I imagine various bullet and loads would differ, though I can't imagine any decent 9mm would have troubles. If you really want to know for certain, head to any junkyard and pick up an old "lead sled" car door in crummy shape for a song. It'll answer everything you need to know, given your particularly loads.

Quote Originally Posted by GWarden View Post
    I'm not sure why you want to shoot thru the door. Even during a car jacking the door would be opened to get you out during the attack.
    Not in all cases. I've been the target of two aborted 'jackings, neither of which got the door opened. And then there are a handful of such 'jackings I've read about in the news in which folks were hauled out of their cars through the window. Point being, you never know what might be required, as they won't necessarily follow a scripted, imagined sequence. Hence the OP. You never know what'll be needed ... going through a car door, through a windshield, whatever.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You may also want to maybe reomved one panel of the door or as much material as you can in a likly pull and fire spot to give you the most chance to breach .. ie gun ports

I almost say if you can keep a micro draco or compact ak or ar pistol on hand that should do the trick real fast ... Not sure how legal that would be but if I am driving the gheto a lot I might keep a rifle pistol at hand and a vest on

You though about getting a kevlar vest also ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Wow, it sure didn't take long to get some very good info. Thanks fellas.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

50 bmg a/p

Simply shoot thru the window.
    The glass in side windows breaks up into small bits (tempered glass) and the muzzle blast will blow most of them outside.There may or may not be problems with penetrating windshield glass (angle/plastic layer)but the side glass is different.
    I have done this. In training we had ear protection,in real life you could lose some hearing.
    The technique is; draw (rt. hand), raise to window level,point at window,position support hand ACROSS front of trigger guard,fire.PRACTICE THIS A LOT WITH EMPTY GUN. You don't want to draw and then muzzle your femoral artery.
    If we assume BG is just outside,it's just an 18" shot.Not a lot of aiming needed.
    Last edited by The Fish; January 14th, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links