9mm Defense Loads 127 gr vs 135 gr

This is a discussion on 9mm Defense Loads 127 gr vs 135 gr within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've searched several times to no avail. Does anyone have links that compare the 9mm Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ JHP to Hornady 135 gr ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By FireNerd
  • 1 Post By Lee 1973

Thread: 9mm Defense Loads 127 gr vs 135 gr

9mm Defense Loads 127 gr vs 135 gr

I've searched several times to no avail. Does anyone have links that compare the 9mm Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ JHP to Hornady 135 gr Critical Duty JHP? As much as I like to consider myself a 45 ACP/10mm fan, the older I get (64), the harder it is to control the larger rounds on multiple follow-up shots. My accuracy has not suffered, but the speed is going the way of age.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Check out "TNOUTDOORS9" on You tube. He does a lot of 9mm ammo test. I have seen his Critical Duty gelatin test, but I am not sure he has done the 127g Ranger. But, you can search his videos to find out.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

12 gauge,
    txron is correct, Tnoutdoors9 did the tests for the Critical Duty, he also did the Winchester 127+P+.

Depending on the length of your gun's barrel, if it's around 3 inches, you may want to consider Critical Defense.

ShootingTheBull is starting to test 9mm for short barrels.

Ammo Quest 9mm: Hornady Critical Defense tested in ballistic gelatin - YouTube

Kent

Seems to me you're picking the fly scat out of the pepper when deciding between those two loads. IMHO, pro basketball players care more about practicing skills than if the ball is a Rawlings or a Wilson.
    paullie and AustinArmory like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Why just those two? Speer GDHP 124gr+P has always been my go-to for carry in 9mm in all barrel lengths. IMO, closest thing to shooting 147gr FMJ for practice.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    I've searched several times to no avail. Does anyone have links that compare the 9mm Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ JHP to Hornady 135 gr Critical Duty JHP? As much as I like to consider myself a 45 ACP/10mm fan, the older I get (64), the harder it is to control the larger rounds on multiple follow-up shots. My accuracy has not suffered, but the speed is going the way of age.
    127gr +p+ is going to be pretty snappy and beat the hell out of a gun. The Critical Duty in 135gr+p isn't going to beat on you or the gun as much. The Critical Duty is going to penetrate more. In most test I've seen they get close to 16". According to the Winchester comparison chart the 127gr+p+ barely crosses 12". The difference is about .15" of expansion in the Winchester's favor.

Personally, I carry the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr+p in my Glock 26. It was easy to find for decent prices and in abundance during the panic. I have used the Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr in the past. I found the quality control and quality of the ammo suspect. I had several overcharged rounds that caused magazine and feeding issues in multiple guns.

If you really want to use Winchester "T" series I would suggest the 124gr+p. It expands the same as the +p+ and gets an extra 1.7" of penetration according to Winchester.
    http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place

At least for the factory specs, you can compare everything and anything. I have found the website useful.
    MikeNice likes this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bkent View Post
    Depending on the length of your gun's barrel, if it's around 3 inches, you may want to consider Critical Defense.

ShootingTheBull is starting to test 9mm for short barrels.

Ammo Quest 9mm: Hornady Critical Defense tested in ballistic gelatin - YouTube

Kent
    The Critical Duty is some good ammo. The Critical Defense didn't fare quite as well in TnOutdoors9 tests. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to use either one. However, if I had a 3" barrel, the Speer Gold Dot short barrel would be my choice.
    MikeNice likes this.
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Recruiter

Links