One Of The Better Articles I've Read On +P Ammo.........................

This is a discussion on One Of The Better Articles I've Read On +P Ammo......................... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The idea behind the +P is to add enough energy to reliably deliver an expanded bullet deep enough to do its job. It doesn’t have ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 1 Post By Ljutic
  • 2 Post By Vuva3rae
  • 3 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By Fisher10
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: One Of The Better Articles I've Read On +P Ammo.........................

VIP Member

The idea behind the +P is to add enough energy to reliably deliver an expanded bullet deep enough to do its job. It doesn’t have to be a lot of extra energy – it just has to be enough. Here’s what you need to know.

Remember that hollowpoints use part of their energy to expand their diameter, but the energy that’s used to expand the bullet is energy that can’t be used to drive the same bullet forward. There is no such thing as a free lunch; if you want the bullet to expand, it’s going to use energy. If there is too little of it to start with, there won’t be enough left to carry the bullet on its path.

In .38 Special, the best loads are all of the +P variety.

A common misunderstanding of +P loadings is that they’re useless since they’re not a huge increase in power. Here’s the thing: they don’t have to be.

The idea behind the +P is to add enough energy to reliably deliver an expanded bullet deep enough to do its job. It doesn’t have to be a lot of extra energy – it just has to be enough. If a normal-pressure load can’t quite deliver that bullet to where it needs to, but a little hotter +P version does, then that is sufficient for the task at hand.

Ammunition for the Recoil Sensitive

Many people, particularly those with the ultra-light revolvers, find that the recoil of .38 Special +P ammunition is too much to comfortably handle. Sadly, there aren’t a lot of alternatives; the .38 Special, in standard-velocity loadings, isn’t well known as a fight-ending cartridge.

There is an exception, but unfortunately it’s a little hard to find: the Federal Nyclad 125 grain hollowpoint.

The load has been around for many years and there is a small but reliable number of defensive shootings where it has been used to good (though not spectacular) effect.

Concealed Carry: What About +P Ammo? | Gun Digest
    Last edited by gasmitty; January 16th, 2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: adhere to copyright rules
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Cory1022 likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I'll believe anything that Grant Cunningham says about revolvers.
    Eric357 and Camjr like this.

Thanks for the post.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

As the saying goes "very interesting" I wonder if Federal is going to increase the supply of Nyclad?

"If a normal-pressure load can’t quite deliver that bullet to where it needs to, but a little hotter +P version does, then that is sufficient for the task at hand."

If this is true, than why even produce a "standard velocity" round if it can't get the job done.....let's face it....we're not shootin' pachyderms here with the .38 Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    "If a normal-pressure load can’t quite deliver that bullet to where it needs to, but a little hotter +P version does, then that is sufficient for the task at hand."

If this is true, than why even produce a "standard velocity" round if it can't get the job done.....let's face it....we're not shootin' pachyderms here with the .38 Cal.
    Because some older revolvers are not safe to shoot with + P.
    Bad Bob, Ghost1958 and Kavalander like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I don't agree with the purpose of +P ammunition being to deliver increased penetration.

All +P does is deliver higher velocities. Whether or not you have increased penetration is all about bullet design.

Some bullets like the 147gr HST are going to have decreased penetration (relative to the standard pressure version) at +P velocities due to the increased expanded bullet diameter. Others, like the XTP are going to stay at a relatively consistent expanded diameter (XTP is generally 1.5x original diameter) which means it will have increased penetration.

I carry 147gr+P HSTs in my compact 9mms with 3-3.5" barrels. Velocity is on par with standard pressure 147gr.
    agalindo likes this.

I think the best alternative for standard-pressure and low recoil ammunition for .38 would probably be a non-jacketed soft point of some kind. The idea would be limited expansion. Instead of using the energy to split a jacket, balloon to .70", and then drive that big mushroom through, the tip should expand less dramatically and retain velocity longer as it travels.

I seem to recall reading of a load that accomplished this, expanding to about .5", but I don't recall what load it was.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I don't agree with the purpose of +P ammunition being to deliver increased penetration.

All +P does is deliver higher velocities. Whether or not you have increased penetration is all about bullet design.

Some bullets like the 147gr HST are going to have decreased penetration (relative to the standard pressure version) at +P velocities due to the increased expanded bullet diameter. Others, like the XTP are going to stay at a relatively consistent expanded diameter (XTP is generally 1.5x original diameter) which means it will have increased penetration.

I carry 147gr+P HSTs in my compact 9mms with 3-3.5" barrels. Velocity is on par with standard pressure 147gr.

Well put.

On thing to mention is the article's description of why +p is about the .38 spcl and doesn't quite fit the +p for 9mm.

One big reason for the +p in .38 is so that it would reliably expand when fired from snub nosed pistols.

The perception of the need for HP ammo has created a market, that is really redundant, and unnecessary. After a while the technicians, companies, and then followed by LE and then general public are chasing their tails.

Meanwhile, there are a chosen few, who use a good lswc style bullet and continue to successfully kill everything quite handily that needs killing; no fuss, no drama, and kept quite by the ammo companies.
    Hoganbeg and dangerranger like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The perception of the need for HP ammo has created a market, that is really redundant, and unnecessary. After a while the technicians, companies, and then followed by LE and then general public are chasing their tails.

Meanwhile, there are a chosen few, who use a good lswc style bullet and continue to successfully kill everything quite handily that needs killing; no fuss, no drama, and kept quite by the ammo companies.
    Kinda like the horror of handloads............
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Links